!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Making drystone walling  (Read 284 times)

Offline Audrey

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Making drystone walling
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:10:54 PM »
Hello everyone, I would like to try and make n scale drystone walling and would be greatfull for any advice and tips. Thankyou Audrey

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
Re: Making drystone walling
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »
Hello Audrey and  :welcomesign:

I can't help you myself with building drystone walling but I am sure there are plenty of folk with north-country-based layouts who can help. The excellent Dent Head layout features in the latest N-gauge Journal and has lots of such walling but unfortunately the writer doesn't describe how he makes them!

For ready-made walling, these guys have quite a good selection: https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/n-gauge-products/n-gauge-scenic-details/n-gauge-fencing-walls

Happy modelling!

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline mojo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 03:00:12 PM »
I have made some by cutting a narrow slot in the landform, inserting cereal packet cardboard, cutting this to the contours leaving about 10mm above and then after removal of the card  covering both sides with cork also cut to the contours glued with copydex (leaving about 6mm. of card below the cork). This gives a thickness about right for drystone walls.
I then spread the face 1 side with copydex and dropped coarse ballast on, pressed down and when set repeated on the other side and top. I used sandy coloured ballast as my set up is N.E.

Maurice

Offline Busybee

• N Gauge Society Number: 21769D
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 08:32:43 PM »
I have seen the gravel used in the bottom of fish tanks used for dry stone wall.

Offline Audrey

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 05:12:38 PM »
Thankyou all for the replies and I will experiment with various things to see what is best. Chicken grit might work too.I had a look at the model shop but could work out quite expensive depending on how much I need.Only started making a layout this year and am having fun with it. Thanks once again.

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »
I received an order from the Bay of E today, which included some of this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Javis-JSTONENS-1-x-4ft-N-Gauge-Flexible-Grey-Stone-Wall-New-Bag-2nd-Class-Post/172229689470?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Haven't put it anywhere yet (other than in my box of scenic bits to fit in due course) but it looks pretty reasonable, for my purposes at least - ultimately I require slate walls for my layout but until I find some suitable ones to photograph, rescale and print this'll do me for now.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here