!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Etched Wagon Kits - Currently 2mm Association Prestwins  (Read 3608 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Etched Wagon Kits - Currently 2mm Association Prestwins
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2019, 06:25:09 PM »
brown satin enamel paint ?

hiumbrol maybe
railmatch, phoenix, precision paints good but you chose well

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2019, 06:28:44 PM »
Great work Steve

Interesting to note that the ladders are different on each side.

Such is the complexity I doubt a mainstream manufacturer will ever take this one on in today's Market.

Thanks Roy. I'm not so sure that no-one will do this as an RTR, I think that their are other items of rolling stock that might possibly have as many parts to them.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2019, 06:31:36 PM »
brown satin enamel paint ?

hiumbrol maybe
railmatch, phoenix, precision paints good but you chose well

I found Humbrol 133 as a recommended colour on RMWeb here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60784-br-bauxite/

I means that I can get a tin from Hobby Craft - neither of my "local" model shops have the correct colour in the Phoenix or precision ranges (or 133 for that matter!).

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2019, 06:34:05 PM »
thanks for posting - sounds good - that a good guide steve

Offline Ashio

• N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2019, 09:04:20 PM »
I dont suppose you can do a side by side comparison of these 2mm models next to similar design 1:148 wagons? I'd like to know if the size difference between 1:152 and 1:148 was very noticable?
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2019, 10:43:45 PM »
I dont suppose you can do a side by side comparison of these 2mm models next to similar design 1:148 wagons? I'd like to know if the size difference between 1:152 and 1:148 was very noticable?

Certainly, here are a couple.

At the front is a Peco 9' seven plank wheelbase wagon with the 2mm Association one at the back. Both are running on Peco's 9' wheelbase chassis and you can just see that the 2mm body is ever so slightly short on this.

Below the front six wheels are again the Peco 9' seven planks while at the back are 2mm LNER six plank wagon bodies.

To be honest, I don't usually worry about running short wheelbase wagons that are 2mm scale as some of the earlier N gauge items can be all over the place dimensionally. As a case in point, my 2mm Association Toad E is slightly longer than my N gauge Peco model of the same van. I wouldn't be as comfortable running 2mm and N gauge coaches together though - at least not in the same rake.

Offline Ashio

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »
Many thanks for the info Stevie.

I thought the width would have been an issue more than length tbh, how do the 2mm chassis look/sit with 1:148?

Are your Toads roughly the same height if one is a full 2mm chassis and body?

Sorry for so many questions but it's a lump of money to both join the 2mm society and then purchase an entire wagon with wheels etc solely to make a comparison.

Many thanks
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2019, 08:48:32 AM »
Hi Ashio,

The only wagon that I can do a direct comparison with is the Toad E.

You can see here that the 2mm Association's version is much narrower than the Peco one. I measured up the Peco's width and found it scaled out at rougly 8'4" while the prototype should be 7'6" wide. That puts the Peco Toad E at almost 2mm over width while the 2mm Association's one is around 0.5mm narrow for 148 N gauge. If you don't mix 2mm and N gauge models of the same prototype wagon in the same rake (or at least next to each other), I doubt you'll notice the difference in scale. Copenhagen Fields uses a bit of converted N Gauge stock and (to my eye at least) blends in well with the true 2mm scale stuff.

Regarding the Peco chassis, the 2mm scale seven plank wagon in my previous post is mounted on a Peco 9' wheelbase chassis. It seems to hang together well enough in my opinion.

If you're concerned about paying to join the Association, perhaps you'd consider buying their "taster" pack for 8.50 (including postage). This will provide you with a 2mm scale steel mineral wagon kit (with 2mm scale wheels) and a length of track. While the wagon is of no use to me, this is how I got started with the Association.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 08:49:49 AM by Stevie DC »

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2019, 09:44:17 AM »
Hi

I happily mix 1/152 (2mm) and 1/148 scale models in the same train. In fact my class 76 locos are 1/152 but nobody has noticed yet. As Steve has mentioned above just don't have the same type of wagon in different scales in the same train.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Ashio

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
That's great, many thanks for the help. The 2mm toad looks so much finer than the RTR toad, and slimmer does look much better than wider.

As for the wheels, if I wanted to run 2mm association wheel sets would that be a matter of getting the 12.25mm axles and just changing the back to backs to fit 9mm gauge track? or do you need completely different axles?

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2019, 09:24:44 PM »
That's great, many thanks for the help. The 2mm toad looks so much finer than the RTR toad, and slimmer does look much better than wider.

As for the wheels, if I wanted to run 2mm association wheel sets would that be a matter of getting the 12.25mm axles and just changing the back to backs to fit 9mm gauge track? or do you need completely different axles?

No problem Ashio. The Toad E is a kit best tackled after building a few chassis kits first.

2mm Finescale wheels will be problematic on N gauge track. The association sells N gauge coach wheels and disc wagons wheels on 12.25mm axles. Alternatively can purchase a special axle (item no. 2-047) which will allow you to fit new type Farish wagon wheels to 2mm scale wagon chassis/coach bogies.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything