!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Etched Wagon Kits - Back to some brake vans  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Etched Wagon Kits
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2019, 02:08:42 PM »
The basic body assembly for the Toad E has now been completed and united with the frames.

I think the whole thing needs a good scrub before I go any further with the detailing.  :hmmm:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2019, 04:10:43 PM »

Anyway - I was going to be attaching a listing for fshknd wagons with as much info as was available.

But - it's an xls file which cannot be uploaded.

I tried to convert it to a pdf - but the data gets corrupted.

Sorry to interrupt Steve's thread but Phil sent me the Excel file and I may have converted it to 2 pdfs - one for TOPS and one for wagons with fish names (thanks @ScottishModeller )

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »
Here's the other one

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2019, 04:25:29 PM »
Looking good Steve, did you use the etch axle boxes or the cast ones, I canít quite make it out on my phone? Iíve made up their Shark chassis for my NGS body, just need to add the ploughs and topcoat the body. Although having just stuck my toe into 3D printing I am wondering whether to try to print the ploughs as the white metal ones look very close to the track. Iíve also got a couple more chassis to make up from the 2mm etches, although the printer is occupying a lot of my time at present while I get to grips with sketchup.

Gary

Hi

I can confirm there is no problem with the metal ploughs when using the 2mm SA chassis and they are clear of the track.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Garyf

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2019, 07:28:07 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation Paul.

Steve, I wondered about the cast axle boxes being too easy to melt. I've only used the folded etch ones so far. I tin them while still attached, free them, fold them and sweat together, file off the folds then sweat them onto the frame. Not sure if that's the best way as sometimes the layers slide apart making it difficult to position them.

Gary

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2019, 07:33:27 PM »
Steve, I wondered about the cast axle boxes being too easy to melt. I've only used the folded etch ones so far. I tin them while still attached, free them, fold them and sweat together, file off the folds then sweat them onto the frame. Not sure if that's the best way as sometimes the layers slide apart making it difficult to position them.

Hi Gary,

Regarding the axle boxes, I either (a.) carefully file the folds off after soldering them to the underframe, or (b.) don't bother filing them off at all and seeing who notices.

Which of the above methods did I use for the Toad E?  ;)

Offline Garyf

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2019, 10:01:17 PM »
Hi Steve,
I'll give that one a try on the next build. I think you left the tabs on for the Toad but I think in the flesh it would be impossible to tell, certainly once painted.

Gary

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2019, 10:25:18 PM »
I think you left the tabs on for the Toad but I think in the flesh it would be impossible to tell, certainly once painted.

You're right. I decided that, as the footboards will create shadow, I could get away with leaving the tabs on. To be honest, I go with this method more often than not, unless it really does stand out. I tend to go with the theory that, it isn't what I actually do, but the impression of what I've done that matters in kit/scratch building.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »
A little more progress has been made today.

The roof still needs to be attached, the long horizontal handrails need adding as do buffers and vac pipes. Then it'll be time for a final going over with a glass fiber brush and wash/scrub before it can take its place in the painting queue.

Offline ScottishModeller

• N Gauge Society Number: 24524
  • 2mm Association Number: 4622
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2019, 04:56:32 PM »
Hi Stevei,

Did you find some correct size wheels (5.1 diam) for the Lowmac?

I'm asking as I have one part built and the 5.25mm diam wheels don't go round!

One of the things that really gets my goat is the range of axle lengths that are available.

Talk about confused - even the kit instructions don't say axle length and by the time you build the kit - it's too late to change that length.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2019, 05:24:16 PM »
Did you find some correct size wheels (5.1 diam) for the Lowmac?

I'm asking as I have one part built and the 5.25mm diam wheels don't go round!

One of the things that really gets my goat is the range of axle lengths that are available.

Talk about confused - even the kit instructions don't say axle length and by the time you build the kit - it's too late to change that length.

Hi Phil,

Re Axle lengths: On 2mm Association etches, unless it states otherwise, I always assume that it will be their standard 12.25mm length. This is also the length for their conversion axles that work with Farish wagon wheels.

I ended up sourcing my 5.1mm wheels from NBrass, but had to open out the axle hole before I could fit it to the 2mm conversion axle. I have sufficient clearance in the GER lowmac but there is still an issue on the GCR one (to be fair, its probably a slight construction issue on my part). Nothing a little work with a dental burr and the dremel won't sort out but it is currently in my "get around to it" pile.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2019, 06:57:51 PM »
Other than fixing the roof and adding, vac pipes, roof fittings and couplings, I'm calling this one complete.

The lamp irons are missing, but I drew the line at fitting the etched ones. I'll probably have a go with something slightly more substantial.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:02:38 PM by Stevie DC (formerly Atso) »

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2019, 11:05:00 AM »
Something unusual dropped on my doormat yesterday.

Above is the basic kit for the 2mm Association Prestwin wagon. Looking through the instructions, it looks to be a very comprehensive build but will require some additional detailing parts to complete. As this one is a commission (actually there are two to build), keeping the build time down is critical.

I've been looking at pictures of the prototypes on Paul Barlett's site here:  https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brprestwin

For those interested, the instructions can be found here:  http://2mm.org.uk/products/instruction_sheets/pdf2-569.pdf

Right now, I'm asking myself "what on earth have I signed up to here?!" However, I'm sure that once I've started, those initial worries will disappear.

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2019, 11:30:10 AM »
I've done five of these,my first was rubbish ,but I got better with each succesive model ,the last was ' reasonable', they do paint up nice though. Camebridge do the transfers,and Paul Bartlett pics were invaluable.                               Cheers         Bill

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2019, 11:31:39 AM »
Something unusual dropped on my doormat yesterday.

Above is the basic kit for the 2mm Association Prestwin wagon. Looking through the instructions, it looks to be a very comprehensive build but will require some additional detailing parts to complete. As this one is a commission (actually there are two to build), keeping the build time down is critical.

I've been looking at pictures of the prototypes on Paul Barlett's site here:  https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brprestwin

For those interested, the instructions can be found here:  http://2mm.org.uk/products/instruction_sheets/pdf2-569.pdf

Right now, I'm asking myself "what on earth have I signed up to here?!" However, I'm sure that once I've started, those initial worries will disappear.

Hi

Having built one its not too bad once you get started though I can't remember how long mine took. It was built with the standard 2mm SA wheels rather than the N gauges ones so I'm not sure if you might need to modify part of the brake details around the wheels if using the N ones.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal