!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Etched Wagon Kits - Back to some brake vans  (Read 4775 times)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Etched Wagon Kits
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2019, 08:51:22 PM »
It looks brillaint, and will add a deal of interest to a goods train. I may try etched kits once I can source a supply of fire extinguishers for my fingers....

Thanks Paul. No digits were burnt during the making of this kit.  :D

Please do have a go at some point, I'm sure that the results will be excellent.

Unless I have set at least one of my fingers ablaze whilst welding or even soldering its not a proper job :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2019, 12:19:36 PM »
Eileen's Emporium were at the Epsom show last weekend so I took the opportunity to purchase a new M2 tap as I've misplaced mine. I also finally got around to purchasing a tap wrench for £7.50 - I'd previously tapped holes using a pin vice to clear out threads or tap plastics. However, as I wanted to tap some brass, it proved to be an excellent purchase as described below.

Above is the M2 tap and tap wrench.

The reason I needed these is because I wanted to cut a thread in the "bolster" bearings that my 2mm Association bogies came with. The 2mm Association design means that you have to solder a nut above the bearing and us a 1.4mm screw. I didn't like the idea of having to solder a nut to the bogie stretch as I'd already soldered the bearing in place and thought the risk of unsoldering everything was too great.

A quick look on the internet revealed that the hole to be tapped should be 1.6mm in diameter for an M2 thread. Therefore, I had to carefully open up the holes in the bearings using one of my small tapered broaches. This took a couple of minutes and then I could tap the holes. This is simply a case of putting the tap into the hole (having lubricated it with spit) and turning - half a turn at a time, then turning back a quarter of a turn to clear the swarf out of the threads. Failing to clear the swarf out can result in the tap breaking.

The above picture shows the thread I cut in the first bearing, and really didn't take very long. I then did the second one and doubt that opening up the holes and tapping them took ten minutes. It was then a case of putting the bogies in place, adding a washer to each and putting in the screws.

Unfortunately, I only have countersunk screws so I'll have to replace these with some cheese head ones later. One more little job done on the bogie fish van that brings it a little closer to completion.

Offline Garyf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Re: Etched Wagon Ki
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2019, 05:17:19 PM »

I have built the NGS Shark with the 2mm SA chassis and can do a few pictures if required though mine has 2mm wheelsets. I am about to build another one but this time using the N gauge wheels and I’m going to see if I can fit NEM couplings.

Cheers

Paul

I've decided to try the shark on a 2mm chassis too. It arrived today so I've offered the body up to the etch and it is a little longer did you shorten the NGS body or build the chassis out a bit longer.

Gary

Just printed out 2mm instructions and I can see the sole bars extend beyond the floor and this should be enough to fill the overhang
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 06:37:39 PM by Garyf »

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2019, 11:17:55 AM »
Hi

Sorry I was out all day yesterday and got back quite late so didnít see this until now.

No I didnít have to fill any gaps and as youíve seen the solebars are the correct length.

If you have any further questions donít hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Garyf

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »
 Thanks Paul, this one looks a bit more complicated than the sample wagon I built so I may well have some further questions.

Gary

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2019, 06:51:18 PM »
It's been far too hot in the shed the last couple of days to continue painting and lining the spare Dapol corridor tender forming one of my A3 conversions (see https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35409.630). Therefore, I've grabbed my work tray and a few bits and de-camped down into the dining room and made a start on my second 2mm Association Toad E etched kit.

The basic chassis has been built but there are a lot of details to add to this before I turn my attention to the body. Despite the kit being drawing to 2mm scale, it is actually slightly longer than the venerable Peco version and the first one runs well using Farish wheels and 2mm Association conversion axles.

I really should dig out the bogie fish van and finish that while I've got the soldering iron out!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:53:43 PM by Stevie DC (formerly Atso) »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2019, 09:18:59 PM »
As you're likely to know, Steve, who exactly decided to give wagons marine names e.g. Mermaids, Catfish, Dogfish, Sharks etc etc?

Offline ScottishModeller

• N Gauge Society Number: 24524
  • 2mm Association Number: 4622
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2019, 09:21:21 PM »
Hi all,

The origin of the fshknd names goes back to GWR times - BR then adopted and adapted them as the variety of stock used grew.

Thanks
Phil H
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:51:42 PM by ScottishModeller »
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2019, 09:41:13 PM »
As you're likely to know, Steve, who exactly decided to give wagons marine names e.g. Mermaids, Catfish, Dogfish, Sharks etc etc?

Absolutely no idea Mick; I'd go with Phil's explanation.

Offline ScottishModeller

• Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2019, 09:46:57 PM »

Absolutely no idea Mick; I'd go with Phil's explanation.

Hi guys,

My explanation is backed up from years of being obsessed with the Civil Engineers wagons!

A quote from Paul Bartlett though.....

Yes, they are really used by the professionals, trainspotters would not be so imaginative :no: . They have a GWR influence, as they needed to have a shorthand name for every wagon type when using telegraphic communication. The GWR wagon books list these (not everything is on t'internet. [The LMS use three letter codes for the same reason - pre-empting the TOPS system by about half a century].

For some reason the GWR chose to use names associated with the aquatic environment for their engineers wagons and this persisted through time until now. Sorry, I'm a biologist so they are not marine - too many are fresh water - and some are quite loosely associated with water like the fairly recent HERON, and the earlier GANNET.

I would love to know who on BR chose the names because some are quite obscure and clever (but not as obscure as the Shellfish names used by the Petroleum sector liveries for loco names in the 1980s!). Back to the wagons; an advantage does seem to be that many are very short. BR gave up with the names after TOPS was introduced in c1973 but fairly soon afterwards seems to have accepted this was a mistake - the three letter TOPS codes which appeared on the wagons did not give sufficient differentiation to the wagon types, and I guess that the old names were familiar. So lots of new names came along, including for ex revenue wagons in use with the engineers - such as COD for a wagon that had been a TUBE when a revenue wagon http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brtube/e3392b087 .

You will see many names on my Zenfolio photographs http://paulbartlett..../brdepartmental
Paul Bartlett

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2019, 09:49:04 PM »
Hi guys,

My explanation is backed up from years of being obsessed with the Civil Engineers wagons!

A quote from Paul Bartlett though.....

Yes, they are really used by the professionals, trainspotters would not be so imaginative :no: . They have a GWR influence, as they needed to have a shorthand name for every wagon type when using telegraphic communication. The GWR wagon books list these (not everything is on t'internet. [The LMS use three letter codes for the same reason - pre-empting the TOPS system by about half a century].

For some reason the GWR chose to use names associated with the aquatic environment for their engineers wagons and this persisted through time until now. Sorry, I'm a biologist so they are not marine - too many are fresh water - and some are quite loosely associated with water like the fairly recent HERON, and the earlier GANNET.

I would love to know who on BR chose the names because some are quite obscure and clever (but not as obscure as the Shellfish names used by the Petroleum sector liveries for loco names in the 1980s!). Back to the wagons; an advantage does seem to be that many are very short. BR gave up with the names after TOPS was introduced in c1973 but fairly soon afterwards seems to have accepted this was a mistake - the three letter TOPS codes which appeared on the wagons did not give sufficient differentiation to the wagon types, and I guess that the old names were familiar. So lots of new names came along, including for ex revenue wagons in use with the engineers - such as COD for a wagon that had been a TUBE when a revenue wagon http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brtube/e3392b087 .

You will see many names on my Zenfolio photographs http://paulbartlett..../brdepartmental
Paul Bartlett

Cheers for that Phil, I learn something new everyday.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline ScottishModeller

• Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2019, 10:07:40 PM »
Hi all,

For years I had a Yahoo Group - CENet and was gradually amassing a resource for interested parties to use.

Now - this started when Yahoo Groups was young, pre Fotopic and when you really had to search to find useable photos online.

Anyway - I was going to be attaching a listing for fshknd wagons with as much info as was available.

But - it's an xls file which cannot be uploaded.

I tried to convert it to a pdf - but the data gets corrupted.

Anyway - if you are interested - send me a pm and I'll let you have copy.

Thanks
Phil H

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:52:52 PM by ScottishModeller »
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
A bit of work this morning has seen the axle boxes, sole bar gusset plates and footboards assembled and added onto the basic chassis.

Next will be the brake assemblies and then I can turn my attention to the body.

Offline Garyf

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 10:03:29 AM »
Looking good Steve, did you use the etch axle boxes or the cast ones, I canít quite make it out on my phone? Iíve made up their Shark chassis for my NGS body, just need to add the ploughs and topcoat the body. Although having just stuck my toe into 3D printing I am wondering whether to try to print the ploughs as the white metal ones look very close to the track. Iíve also got a couple more chassis to make up from the 2mm etches, although the printer is occupying a lot of my time at present while I get to grips with sketchup.

Gary

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »
Looking good Steve, did you use the etch axle boxes or the cast ones, I canít quite make it out on my phone? Iíve made up their Shark chassis for my NGS body, just need to add the ploughs and topcoat the body. Although having just stuck my toe into 3D printing I am wondering whether to try to print the ploughs as the white metal ones look very close to the track. Iíve also got a couple more chassis to make up from the 2mm etches, although the printer is occupying a lot of my time at present while I get to grips with sketchup.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

The axle boxes are the etched ones that come with the kit and consist of three layers that fold over and are laminated. I'm not a fan of the cast axle boxes due as they are white metal and tiny, which means you have to be very careful with every subsequent soldering operation.

Making up the etched boxes wasn't particularly difficult to be honest, and much easier than soldering the ten tiny gusset plates to the solebars. I feel that this is the etch's weak point and the plate wagon chassis etch with its fold out gussets is a much better and easier method of obtaining this feature.

Good to hear that you've made up the Shark chassis. Personally, I would see if you can use the white metal ploughs as these would add some weight to the model. You could always use a fine needle file to open out the recesses to ensure sufficient clearance between the ploughs and the track.

Best of luck with Sketchup, I didn't get on with it; although that's probably because I already had a few years of using Alibre under my belt before trying it. I have seen some nice designs produced using it though.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal