!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Etched Wagon Kits - Back to some brake vans  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Garyf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Re: Etched Wagon Kits
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 07:02:01 PM »
Cheers Steve, I was going to make the NGS one first and perhaps a 2mm after assuming I can source some wheels.

Gary

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 07:16:30 PM »
Cheers Steve, I was going to make the NGS one first and perhaps a 2mm after assuming I can source some wheels.

Gary

No problem Gary. However, I would suggest going for something a little simpler first. The GNR and LNER cattle wagons have some of the challenges of the Mac K but, while bulkier, would be a good place to get some experience before tackling the Mac. I've got the GCR Mac N to build at some point and, just looking at the etches, I can see that the Mac K is probably the easier build.

Offline Garyf

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 07:24:23 PM »
Iíll bear that in mind, I was thinking of a Shark and possibly some chassis before I tried the Lo mac.

Gary

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 07:28:38 PM »
Iíll bear that in mind, I was thinking of a Shark and possibly some chassis before I tried the Lo mac.

Gary

Is the Shark the NGS version?

Offline Garyf

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 07:32:59 PM »
Iíve got the NGS one ready but was looking at the 2mm as a possible alternative if I wasnít happy with the NGS version. Although the body kit for the 2mm isnít listed in shop 2, but is in one of the sets of instructions.

Gary

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 10:08:07 PM »
Iíve got the NGS one ready but was looking at the 2mm as a possible alternative if I wasnít happy with the NGS version. Although the body kit for the 2mm isnít listed in shop 2, but is in one of the sets of instructions.

Gary

Hi

Itís the same body kit from both and the NGS supplied the 2mm SA with them.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 11:22:58 PM »
Hi

Itís the same body kit from both and the NGS supplied the 2mm SA with them.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for clarifying Paul. Also thank you for the advice on the 'other forum' for sorting out the wheels for the Mac K.

Offline Garyf

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 07:18:18 AM »
Hi Paul, thanks for the info. I wonder what happened to the etch body that is not listed in shop 2 but mentioned in the instructions?

Gary

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
Hi Paul, thanks for the info. I wonder what happened to the etch body that is not listed in shop 2 but mentioned in the instructions?

Gary

Hi

Iím not aware of an etched one and I notice that the Shark body has disappeared. I wonder if the etched kit is going to be a new release at some point in the future.

I have built the NGS Shark with the 2mm SA chassis and can do a few pictures if required though mine has 2mm wheelsets. I am about to build another one but this time using the N gauge wheels and Iím going to see if I can fit NEM couplings.

Cheers

Paul
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 03:21:55 PM by PaulCheffus »
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 01:53:17 PM »
Another wagon that is slowly being built.

This is an ex-GCR bogie fish van which was etched from artwork reduced from 4mm scale and I acquired as part of a swap with a 2mm FS modeller. It is a pretty old design and therefore doesn't have many design features of more modern kits that help the builder. The reduction from 4mm to 2mm scale also didn't help, nor does the fact that it is missing some bits (I don't think they were ever supplied) or the fact that it couldn't be built as designed.

Due to the fact that this was reduced from 4mm scale, the bogies wouldn't accept 2mm Scale axles when folded up (too narrow) so I ended up using a 2mm Association bogie stretcher etch of the correct wheelbase, cut the sides off the GC bogie and soldered these to the stretcher as overlays. A rummage through the spares box located some springs and axle boxes and I made up the truss rods from wire and handrail knobs. I've still got quite a bit to do to finish this one and it'll probably go away for another month or so while I get on with other things.

The brass construction shows up just how messy my soldering can be at times.  :smiley-laughing:

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »
My latest wagon build, an ex-GCR Mac N, again built from 2mm Association etches. The buffers came off a spare Farish locomotive body as they were the closest match to the drawings - I also glued these in place rather than soldered as I couldn't be bothered to strip them of paint!

It isn't fitted with wheels yet as I need to source some more 5.1mm diameter wheelsets.

This is quite a useful wagon having been originally built by the GCR in 1913 and then repeated (with modest alterations) by the LNER in 1939 and 1943-45 and BR between 1950 and 1959. Variations were also built for the GWR and LMS during WW2. The kit covers all the main variations but is much more challenging than the ex-GER Mac K previously shown. While it is certainly buildable as designed, I'd say it is a more challenging kit than the Toad E and something to be tackled once some experience has been obtained on the easier kits.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
Another great job Steve, you are becoming so proficient at the ultra-speedy construction of these kits - looks awesome!

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2019, 12:30:11 PM »
Another great job Steve, you are becoming so proficient at the ultra-speedy construction of these kits - looks awesome!

Roy

Thanks Roy. However, the kit consumed around six hours in building. Hardly a speedy kit, although due to the numerous variations, I did pay more attention to the instructions than I would normally.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
It looks brillaint, and will add a deal of interest to a goods train. I may try etched kits once I can source a supply of fire extinguishers for my fingers....

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 08:41:35 PM »
It looks brillaint, and will add a deal of interest to a goods train. I may try etched kits once I can source a supply of fire extinguishers for my fingers....

Thanks Paul. No digits were burnt during the making of this kit.  :D

Please do have a go at some point, I'm sure that the results will be excellent.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:43:21 PM by Atso »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal