!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Etched Wagon Kits - Back to some brake vans  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Etched Wagon Kits - Back to some brake vans
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:23:57 PM »
Hi all,

Rather than place this is my other kit building thread, I thought I'd start a new thread for etched kits.

Having been unable to get the modelling mojo going over the last couple of weeks, I finally managed to drag myself back to the bench today and built this.

This is the BH Enterprises brass kit for a GCR fish van and is one of four that I have to build. These are quite old kits and the artwork dates back to 1991 and looks (under very close inspection) to be hand drawn. As a result, the kit lacks some of the features to aid building that a more modern 2mm Association kit has but, despite this, it is very well etched, all of the parts fit as intended and, with a bit of care, goes together inside 90 minutes.

While the kit is designed to fit on a slightly modified Peco 10' wheelbase chassis, I'll be building these using the 2mm Association replacement etches and fitting them with N gauge wheels on adapter axles. The etched chassis is still incorrect for the fish van but a correct version isn't available and this will still be an improvement on the old Peco mouldings.

Overall, a nice kit of a distinct vehicle and, at only 5, excellent value for money.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 06:19:21 PM by Stevie DC »

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
Re: Etched Wagon Kits
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »
Looks excellent Steve, great work.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:51:29 PM »
cool perhaps I should try building some, it would be good to get the old soldering iron out, its been ages since I set my fingers on fire :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 09:47:04 PM »
Thanks guys. I've actually built a second one this evening. It took a little longer than the first but that's because I took some photos of the construction. I'll try and upload them tomorrow or Monday.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »
In case anyone is interested, I've written a tutorial on how I built this kit which can be found at: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=44901.new#new

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »
Good to see you firing on four cylinders again :)
A nice build.
Bob

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 08:14:57 PM »
Thanks Bob, I'd say it's more like two and a half cylinders at the moment though...

For the sake of completeness here is the first van on its chassis.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 08:29:51 PM »
Nice build and thanks for the tutorial.   :beers:

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 08:38:35 PM »
Excellent work Steve.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 09:04:29 PM »
Thanks guys.  :)

Offline ScottishModeller

• N Gauge Society Number: 24524
  • 2mm Association Number: 4622
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 09:13:38 PM »
Hi Steve,

Agreed with all the comments about this one.

It's much along the lines of the 009 stuff I've done on RMWeb and what I show/tell people who look at the demo's I do at various shows.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »
Needing a bit of a break from other things, I spent a bit of time building the 2mm Association LNER/GER Mac K wagon kit.

This is a slightly more complicated kit than the average 2mm etches but it does go together well. However (nothing to do with the kit), the smaller wheels caused some problems as I had to ream out the axle hole on a 5.15mm Parkside Dundas wheel to 1.6mm to take the Association's conversions axles - these are designed to work with Farish wheels.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 01:12:28 PM »
Needing a bit of a break from other things, I spent a bit of time building the 2mm Association LNER/GER Mac K wagon kit.

This is a slightly more complicated kit than the average 2mm etches but it does go together well. However (nothing to do with the kit), the smaller wheels caused some problems as I had to ream out the axle hole on a 5.15mm Parkside Dundas wheel to 1.6mm to take the Association's conversions axles - these are designed to work with Farish wheels.

Looks lovely Steve, you are growing quite a stock of really cool wagons!

Regards

Roy

Offline Garyf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 05:38:44 PM »
Oddly enough I was just looking at this kit on the 2mm site. I've got the NGS one to make up but liked the look of the 2mm one, and I was wondering what to do about wheels as I guess the 2mm N gauge ones are too big. Other than the wheels were there any other problems.

Gary

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 06:54:51 PM »
Thanks guys.

Oddly enough I was just looking at this kit on the 2mm site. I've got the NGS one to make up but liked the look of the 2mm one, and I was wondering what to do about wheels as I guess the 2mm N gauge ones are too big. Other than the wheels were there any other problems.

Gary

Gary,

I've built two of the NGS kits which are masquerading as ex-NER  Macs.

The only problem I had with this kit was that the first layer of overlays overlapped a couple of the half fold lines on the inner chassis. Unfortunately, the instructions do not mention this so I had to spend a little time with the soldering iron and a scalpel blade to ease the overlay away from the affected area. This resulted in a little distortion but this was easily rectified once I'd folded everything up. The deck is formed from two layers which have to be bent up to pretty much the correct shape. This took a little time to get right. The only other scary moment was when the deck section took on a bit of a curve. Again, this was easily fixed but soldering it into place.

Otherwise, all the pieces fitted as designed and are well etched.

I would call this kit an intermediate wagon, it is more complicated that the standard chassis kit but not as complicated as the Toad E kit.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:16:54 PM by Atso »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal