!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Teuchter Line a West Highland based model  (Read 5565 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Teuchter Line a West Highland based model
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2020, 09:16:11 PM »
Good to hear your plans and shake hands. Your welcome to meet darren, ray  bob myself and others to share plans ideas colin at our regular meet ups. Will pm details when not on showd or working. Must say scalesenes items for shed scenes look realistic and would suit your layout as much as mine.

Offline Arrowflyer

• N Gauge Society Number: 28880
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2020, 07:31:44 PM »
I've been so busy modelling that I've forgot to post progress.

So, Tom Na Faire almost done.  Just been painting the last scratch built buildings, adding TPWS grids, people, coal, muck, skip junk etc.  Most of my time has been making fencing.  Post & wire fence, security fence, wooden security fence, Palisades fence etc.

So the Post & wire fence uses posts by N-Scenic.  These tiny little things have holes in them so you can feed wire.
I used bus wire which in hindsight is a little thick, but I figured it needed some strength so it would not break when manipulated.   Spend a good few hours trying to strip & unfanckle wire.

I could have bought fencing, but I needed 4m of post & wire and 1m of all the other bits, so was working out expensive.
The post & wire fence has 198 posts with 4 holes each, so I had the thread 768 holes.  Oh my eyesight!  Took me a whole week of evening seclusion.

I painted the posts with a bit of a wash of burnt umber, black and a little yellow to make an aged wood.  I then swiped over with a grey wash.
Putting the posts in the scenery, i tried not to make them nice and neat, but tried to reflect undulating, soft ground, movement of years of being in place.
I wanted the fence to reflect the run down nature of the yard.

So overall, rather nice posts if you have the patience to thread wire through holes.

Oh & the great news is, I managed to source 6 Cobalt IP point motors only to get an email that there is no stock anywhere again and not due in UK until May.
Really can't understand DCC Concepts supply management process.  Running out of stock of one of your most popular products is, in any other retail organisation, a serious thing and you'd be lucky to keep your job.  Anyway, got 6, so that will allow me to connect Tom Na Faire to the downline and I can run trains for a bit more distance.

I'll do another post for the depot detail and a video of shunting shortly.

Some photos of the post & wire fence:

And finally all in place.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2020, 07:34:04 PM »
Colin
 Impressive yet tedious. Must admit rather realistic and guess a patience job

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »
Your labour of love has been rewarded as it looks great. Rather you than me, though!

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2020, 03:24:05 PM »
Impressive fencing work,  I looked at those fence posts,  but I need over a thousand  and found them too expensive.  Also at 1.2mm they scale to 9 inches square, so I've used 0.6mm square wire for the posts and forgone the the fencing wire.

Offline Arrowflyer

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2020, 08:50:14 PM »
Impressive fencing work,  I looked at those fence posts,  but I need over a thousand  and found them too expensive.  Also at 1.2mm they scale to 9 inches square, so I've used 0.6mm square wire for the posts and forgone the the fencing wire.

Good idea that, but I just liked the wire in the fence.  I used square wire for the security fence posts.  Made a little jig to bend them mostly to the same angle.
Know what you mean about cost.  I felt the same about buying security fence to get the uniformity, but it's a lot of money when you take into account you only get 300mm and still have to make it all yourself anyway.

Offline Arrowflyer

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2020, 09:02:12 PM »
So it's pretty much Happy Birthday to The Teuchter line.  About 1 year ago, I started building baseboards and trying to figure out what all this model rail malarkey was all about, not really having a firm layout plan other than a track plan and a rough idea of how I would model it.  I've added bits as I go, made loads of mistakes that I definitely wont make again. But, overall, I'm quite pleased.

So far I've modelled 2 1/2 areas of the 6 I want to do.  So that's Corrour station and Tom Na Faire depot are done mostly; Fort William Junction is in progress but need more point motors whenever DCC Concepts can figure out their supply chain; and then will work on Fort William Oil Terminal, Primary School area and Fort William station.

I've been very busy the last few weeks adding lots and lots of little detail, griming up track, weathering etc.

Quite a few photos on here with some explanations & story.  Will be making a video of all my rolling stock soon. 
Hope you enjoy the shoot.  I'm not great at photos and just using my iPhone.

So let's start with Corrour station. Pretty much all scratch built.  The Station House took me ages, but really please how it turned out.
Long shot, then some detail. This was my second modelling project after Rannoch Viaduct and I had learned a lot by then.  Not enough to stop me making the baseboard too small though :-)

It's Spring, so the tourists are out taking photos.

And of course, the deer.

and it all lit up.  I've used Train-Techs random light timer to have the room lights randomly turn off and on.

So then Tom Na Faire depot.  Long shot, all lit up,  then some detail.
Again mostly scratch build with the sheds from outlands models.  Fence ! don't talk to me about fence!  Labour of love or madness!
Cyclists on the road waiting for the next train to photograph.

Highland Cows (of course!) watching nonchalantly as they do.

Here's the coal yard up in the corner.  Coal lorry arrived for stock.  Being directed to where to park, coal ready to go, young lad take the chance of a rest, takes a pew on the barrel the office uses for an outside table.  All the area is dark, dusty, run down, rusty. Buildings are a bit lean-to, trees deposited stuff on the roofs. 
Really like this scene.  Took me ages to build.  Even made the arm chair that's dumped in the skip. 
There's a fair amount of 3D printed stuff here.  Gas tanks from Peedie models, Hopper, bins and pallet goods, including water tanks from Shapeways.  The rest is all me (and evergreen sheets!).  I like the ash dumpster bin on the platform.

On the other part of the yard, the cleaners are waiting for the Jacobite coaches to arrive to give them a thorough clean.  The Dispatch Box is used for storing kit & work schedules.

Now. moving around the depot....
Office block

The Network Rail yard with a variety of goodies.  Van there to pick up packages and materials.  "No Parking! How many times have we told you drivers---- no parking!".
Wish I had more space on the model to do more - caravan for security guard etc.

And behind the old diesel fuelling point, there's always junk.  Old Lineside relay boxes and an old rusty washing machine!  Who does that?

So, overall, I think I've replicated the photo I was working to quite well. 

Got a little more detailing to do here, but just being fussy.  Have to say I'm rather chuffed.
I've added Dapol signals.  These are driven either by BlockSignalling infra red controllers or train-tech ones.  The train-tech ones have the same address as the points, so only go 'green' when points set.  All track power is interlocked to the points to to avoid any shorts or trains going where they should not - barring human error.

Next bit I'm working on is Fort William Junction.  This is the run past houses, passed some out of town shops, the old turntable, used only a few times per season, so looking a bit sad - like all the area really.  Passed FW Signal box, the oil refinery & terminal,  over the River Ness to the station.

So FW Junction is quite big, but I've stripped a few of the sidings out to fit.

..and the route up the mainline and Tom Na Faire.  Love that bridge from YorkModelRail.  Not quite same as prototype but the right height.  The others I looked at were not a good height & I was not confident making my own (yet!).  Nevertheless, the kit from YorkModelRail takes some patience, feeding each individual step into the frame.

Like the rest of the area, the bridge has seen better days but is still standing.
Here I've got some houses, gardens and back-yards to build and an electric substation.  I bought a Piko kit that's a bit too big, but will make it fit.  But at least the drain manhole covers are in.  I've got lots and lots of trees to make for this area.

Turntable will be DCC controlled with a Locomotech motor and when the points switch to the sidings, there will be yard lights that activate - probably infra red, but train-tech has a DCC enabled controller that I may use.

Work in progress, Fort William Signal box area.  Am toying with putting working semaphore rods, but experiments so far have been frustrating. Maybe a step too far.

And just to show there is a bit to go for the next years modelling project!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2020, 09:08:09 PM »
Impressive cameos colin. Plenty of talking points captured my attention

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
That is some impressive modelling!  :thumbsup: Love the station area.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2020, 09:44:55 AM »
Have to say I'm rather chuffed.

And so you should be. That's modelling to a high standard. :admiration:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2020, 10:21:45 AM »
A most amazing set of photos, reminiscent of Ted Polet's classic double decker 009 layout.

I think you may have just built an equal classic, there, mate.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2020, 07:07:45 PM »
Fantastic - so many interesting scenes, great stuff. :thankyousign:

PT

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2020, 08:45:25 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
      Excellent modelling sir, looking rather splendid  :thumbsup:
        regards Derek.

Offline Arrowflyer

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2020, 07:08:13 PM »
Excellent work.
You have created a highly impressive layout there and one which you can be justifiably proud of.
Brilliant, just brilliant.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal