!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Nick has a go at building track  (Read 1128 times)

Offline nookfield

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: Nick has a go at building track
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 08:07:06 PM »

It's still not perfect, I get a bit of a bump still with some locos,

From the photos it looks like the knuckle may be to close to the nose, although it is hard to tell. If the bump is occurring at the knuckle you may be able to file part of the knuckle to make it flatter.

What I can't decide is when I build my next layout, which this was basically all experimentation for whether to use code 55 with Peco plain track (as here) or code 40 and Finetrax/Easitrac, which would necessitate building all turnouts but would, I'm sure, look better...

Code 40 track is much better than anything Peco produce. With turnouts, if you use finetrax, they are easy to make and if the cast common crossing is painted it can look much better.

If you build your own with rail soldered to pcb sleepers you get the satisfaction that you made it all yourself.

You should persevere with building a few more turnouts, the components are cheap just a bit time consuming in assembling them. For practice you should just build single turnouts, a crossover is only two turnouts connected together. The common crossings/wing rails get easier the more you make. It is probably the only part of the turnout that needs to be accurate

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 09:04:05 PM »
Yes, these are tests insofar as I'm planning to shoehorn them into my existing 'layout' (trainset really!), whilst honing my skills and deciding on what to use on my next layout, hence building specific items, rather than just churning out B6 points, which would probably do a similar job  of improving my skills!

Finetrax is an option, but an expensive one for points compared to building straight onto PCB, and would only be suitable in sidings, being BH currently. As I said in the original post, I don't actually object too much to the look of Peco, I just want to be able to capitalise on the potential space I may have available with some really nice long flowing bits of pointwork. All that said, I am thinking that I should just go code 40 all round, the plain track won't take that long to make, and it will look better in the long run. All hypothetical. Need to buy a new house first!

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 09:40:26 PM »
I have to say Nick that if I had the skills you are showing off here, I would definitely build my own track. Peco track is comparatively toy-like in comparison.
Really enjoying the thread Nick. And thanks to Nookfield too for some insightful suggestions.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Hartlepool MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION
October 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 10:00:24 PM »
I urge you to give it a go Kirky, honestly Iíve been really surprised at how straightforward it is. Thatís not to say that my results are anything special, but I thought it would be a lot harder than it is, and itís really satisfying!

Offline Izzy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 10:20:34 PM »

I think you set yourself a hard task for your first attempts, the combination of long turnouts with a lot of planing to the blades and coupled with using flat bottom and the extra work entailed of filing away the foot of the rail. So to produce what you have is a credit to you. Obviously the more you make the easier it will become, and using code40 would be slightly easier in the less-to-file-away stakes sense.

One observation I would make is that if the wing rails of the crossing were longer, the join placed nearer the closure section, i.e. several sleepers/bearers away from the V tip it might help with the alignment of the rails. There are marks on the Templot templates where the prototype rail section joints are, and using these as a guide is often handy for this.

Izzy

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »
Thanks Izzy, what fun in making it easy for yourself eh!?

I followed the Templot template for the joins between the wing rails/closure rails, but but I can see making the wing rails longer may be easier, and may modify accordingly next time!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything