!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Averingcliffe  (Read 7963 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Averingcliffe
« Reply #210 on: December 17, 2019, 09:39:20 PM »

But what's 'granny cake', please?

I must admit, that is something I do not recall, not even from either of my 'Grannies', so I did a Google. Here is one recipe, sounds delicious.  :food:

https://12tomatoes.com/granny-cake/
Not quite what I had in mind.
Granny Cake is simply fruit cake (but MUST) include cherries.
Ever since I was a little lad we’ve always called it Granny Cake but I’ve no idea why.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2019, 09:42:48 PM »

Sounds like my kind of cake.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: December 17, 2019, 09:55:43 PM »
Nice photos David. Neat and tidy and well modelled as ever.

@port perran Being of a curious nature I also "googled" granny cake. Loads of them came up. Some looked really scrummy, but I have to say, none that I looked at listed cherries as an ingredient.  :confused1:

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: December 17, 2019, 10:26:08 PM »

Sounds like my kind of cake.  :thumbsup:

Mine too!
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: December 17, 2019, 11:42:16 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
     Many thanks David "Coffeys" is looking superb. Tea & Cake sound`s good right now.   :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: December 22, 2019, 03:50:15 PM »
Here is the latest chapter in the Averingcliffe saga.

Chapter XXI

“Welcome to the last A.S.D.A. meeting of the year and welcome back to ‘The Duchess’”, said Sir Andrew. “First of all, I would like to thank each and every one of you for the time and effort you have spent over the last year, making Averingcliffe the huge success it has been”. Mr. Mainwaring then stood and said, “Sir Andrew, if I may interrupt, and I am sure I am speaking for all of us here present and the wider community, if it had not been for your initial prompting and cajoling, the attractions in Averingcliffe would not only have not come to pass, but may well have just stayed a dream. Ladies and Gentlemen, a toast – Sir Andrew, a man of vision”. All the committee members raised their glasses – the drinks had been provided by Mike, the landlord, as a thank you for the extra business that had come his way. “Sir Andrew” they all said in unison. “Err, yes, thank you”, said Sir Andrew, blushing slightly. “I have to say though, that whilst the idea may have been mine, it would not have happened without the assistance of the people at the very first meeting, Thomas Hanks, Warren Buffet, Philip Collins, Richard Starkey and Riccardo Patrese and the four associates of mine. (See Chapter XIII). Right, back to business. As you are aware, the Christmas Fayre was held on Saturday and a larger than expected crowd turned up, Constable Cooke was in attendance and was a great help throughout the day. Father Christmas went down a treat, especially with the kiddies and I understand the stall holders had quite a profitable time and that was at no cost to our own shopkeepers who had plenty of custom. I am informed that Mr. Coffey provided all the Royal Mail staff with free drinks as arranged, but refused to submit a bill to A.S.D.A., so a big thank you to him. I would also like to thank Roy Grace and his staff for coping admirably with the extra visitors, the majority of whom came to see the surprise I mentioned at the last meeting, the ‘Operation North Pole’ train, which was in the S.T.E.A.M. Depot all day Saturday. I have thanked Mr. Warren Buffet for his assistance in getting the locomotive to us. Also, which was quite a surprise to me, we managed to get the ‘Coca-Cola’ lorry to attend. Due to its size, it was parked on the spare land in front of the Manor House”. Roy Grace then stood and said, ”I can assure you Sir Andrew, it was as much a treat to us as it was to the visitors. It is not that often an American locomotive like that gets to visit our depot”.

Claude Greengrass, the Council representative then said discussions were in hand to get the street lighting installed and, following a meeting with the local water and electricity boards, it was hoped that this work would be commencing in the near future.

Mr. Mainwaring then stood and said that the A.S.D.A. accounts were showing a healthy balance and it was hoped that a limited company could be set up in the spring. Michael Wakefield then asked if some monies could be spared to “thank the committee members for an hour or two downstairs in the bar?” Mr. Mainwaring stated that he could not see any problem, which brought a few cheers from the members.

Nora Batty then raised her hand and said, “I would like to thank Mr. Wakefield for providing the trams that go from one end of the village to t’other. It’s a big help because as you know, my legs ain’t what they used to be” Michael Wakefield said that it was a pleasure.

Sir Andrew stood and said, “If there is nothing else, may I, on behalf of Lady Joan and myself, wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I think we all ought to retire to the bar now”. Nobody objected.

Here are a few pictures taken of the Christmas Fayre. The first two are of Father Christmas and Dancer, (not sure where Rudolph had wondered off to)

Then we have the 'Coca-Cola' lorry

Now an overall shot of the pedestrian precinct

One of the 'Operation North Pole' train

And finally three photographs taken during the evening, the last one showing the decorated tram

Finally, on behalf of the A.S.D.A. committee, the residents and traders of Averingcliffe, the staff of the Averingcliffe attractions and, of course, Louisa, may I thank you all for the kind comments and 'Likes' you have posted regarding Averingcliffe and wish you all A Very Merry Christmas.  David.  :beers:
David.

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: December 22, 2019, 04:45:10 PM »
 :heart2: :laugh3: :goggleeyes: :laugh3: :heart2:

Just love it David !

Have a fantastic Christmas and a great New Year

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: December 22, 2019, 07:08:35 PM »
:heart2: :laugh3: :goggleeyes: :laugh3: :heart2:

Just love it David !

Have a fantastic Christmas and a great New Year

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:
Hear, hear!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: December 22, 2019, 09:37:59 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
   Really really excellent David, thanks for sharing
A very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you, your family & all residents of Averingcliffe
       regards Derek.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: February 23, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
Firstly, may I apologise for the lack of action on Averingcliffe since the Christmas Fayre. Whilst life goes on as normal for the residents and workers, nothing much of note seems to have happened there lately. However, plans are afoot for some big 'do' at Easter - I will let you know further details as and when they are available to me.

Back in the real world, (after finding my mojo again), I have started working on the station for Averingcliffe. I am scratch building a 'reasonable' lookalike of the real station at Mohill which closed in 1959. The station still stands and is owned by a local man, who gave me permission to photograph and take measurements of the station.

Just to keep interest alive, here is a picture of the real station, along with a couple of pictures of the work in progress.

Addit: Not sure what the black line is over the fireplace in the ladies waiting room - it just appeared!  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:07:45 PM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit »
David.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: February 23, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »
Mascara. Girl's night out!  :D

Seriously, the station looks really great.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: February 23, 2020, 04:46:23 PM »
That station looks great David even if the flooring makes my eyes go funny (and I haven't had any cider today - yet  :D).

And Chris, girl’s night out - can’t us blokes go along (with or without mascara  :D

Get the posters for the big “do” up and running David - we need to save up.

Great work

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: February 23, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »
That building is looking amazing, David.

Please forgive my dodgy memory, but wasn't Mohill on the C&L?  I have Dr Flanagan's book on the line and must have a look.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2020, 07:47:25 PM »

Please forgive my dodgy memory, but wasn't Mohill on the C&L?

That is correct John. Our Roger of Wrenton fame did a series of articles a while back on the Cavan And Leitrim Railway.
David.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: February 23, 2020, 10:08:23 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Good to see Averingcliffe again looking good David  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek 

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00