!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Class 37 with only 5 sounds  (Read 213 times)

Offline chicky365

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Farish Class 37 with only 5 sounds
« on: March 10, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »
I recently purchased a Class 37 with sound secondhand. The train works perfectly but it only seems to have 5 sounds. I am not sure what sound chip is being used but it only has the following:

1. Lights
2. Sound on/off
3. Horn
4. Horn
5. Wheel squeal

None of the other function buttons makes any sound, which is strange as im sure all sound chips come with more sounds than this? Any ideas how I can get  other sounds to work or anything else I can try?

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
Re: Farish Class 37 with only 5 sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 02:59:22 PM »
It all depends on the decoder type and the sound project with which it is loaded. You can identify the type of decoder with CV7 and CV8. To identify the sounds you can then use an appropriate programmer (e.g. ESU LokSound and Zimo each have programmers available at a price for their own decoders. There is also the JMRI software which is free but requires a bit of technical competence to operate and an appropriate interface with a computer, such as a Sprog.

Some sound projects are set up so that the sounds only operate when the loco is moving, so possibly F1 needs to be activated before F6 and above will do anything.

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 06:29:07 PM »
What type of controller do you have?

You should be able to read the decoder to determine the model, but as above you will need something like SPROG to work out the sound files that are installed

Are you able to use two digit function?
If not, then read the manual for the controller, and if does not have this option then you will sadly never have access to them
The obvious one is to start the engine and switch it off

Ironically, the above options are the only ones I ever used, I hardly used any of the others
The only other ones I would use were cab door and coupling
I wish they all had Spirax Valve, but only the Class 37 had this

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 08:59:23 PM »
Even the Hornby decoder has more than 6 sounds. Are you sure you are accessing them correctly so unless it's dome sort of custom or generic sound decoder you should get more than 6

Hornby Function list

F0     Headlight/rearlight (if fitted to locomotive)
F1     Engine start/stop
F2     Horn high-low
F3     Horn low-high
F4     Brake squeal
F5     NOTCH up
F6     NOTCH down
F7     Return to IDLE
F8     Thrash
F9     Cold start override
F10   Compressor
F11   Door slam
F12   Fan
F13   Horn high
F14   Horn low
F15   Primer
F16   Slow flange squeal
F17   Spirax valve
F18   Horn short low
F19   Horn short high
F20   Wagons buffering
F21   Wagons clanging
F22   Alternative door slam
F23   Guard's whistle
F24   locomotive buffering
F25   Aux (if used in locomotive)
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »
It all depends on the decoder type and the sound project with which it is loaded. You can identify the type of decoder with CV7 and CV8. To identify the sounds you can then use an appropriate programmer (e.g. ESU LokSound and Zimo each have programmers available at a price for their own decoders. There is also the JMRI software which is free but requires a bit of technical competence to operate and an appropriate interface with a computer, such as a Sprog.

To clarify the limitations of programming devices. 

NONE of the sound decoder makers offer a way of reading back the sounds inside a decoder.  The construction of a sound project is very much a one-way mechanism.  The sounds are constructed in the programming environment and sent into the decoder, there is no method of recovering them back from the decoder (otherwise piracy would be rife, and sound writers wouldn't bother producing sounds).   

The only way to find out what's in a sound decoder is to play out the various sounds in turn.   It is possible that there are some sounds not allocated to a function key or locomotive operation.  Those can be found by changing CV's in decoders to allocate the "slot" (containing the recording) to a function key.  But identifying what they are is by ear, unless there is more documentation. 

Even the Hornby decoder has more than 6 sounds. Are you sure you are accessing them correctly so unless it's dome sort of custom or generic sound decoder you should get more than 6

But, if the decoder was written by a sound provider, then its down to what the sound provider did with it.  Perhaps the original request was for only a handful of sounds.   

Can it be changed ?  Depends on the decoder in question, start the answer to that by reading CV8 to get the manufacturer's ID, and then whether a change is credible can be discussed. 

Offline chicky365

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:59:51 AM »
I use a NCE.

I have managed to find a few more sounds in the F11-F15 area although I am not sure exactly what they are, so I will print the TTS list and see if anything matches up.

Thanks

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:57:59 AM »
Its really unlikely to be a Hornby TTS chip in an N gauge model. 

- Nigel

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 11:10:23 AM »
No its not, given how easy it is to fit them, done quite a few myself, so it must be easy

Fitting a TTS decoder is the same as fitting a Zimo or ESU, the hardest bit is finding a small enough speaker that still gives a good sound level, and that not difficult either.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »
I bought a Voyager with an ESU Loksound v3.5 which only had similar sounds. I'm pretty sure it was a generic diesel sound project too, as it didn't sound overly Voyager-y. I got it reblown by Olivia's for 15, and it came back sounding far better. They need 100 Ohm speakers which proved a massive pain too, so it would be worth finding out which decoder yours is, it may impact how you proceed.

It certainly could be a Hornby TTS, but just because it's lacking in different sounds I most certainly wouldn't make that assumption, as they're not lacking in different functions!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here