!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tails from the Brass Monkey  (Read 408 times)

Offline BrassMonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24745
    • Awards
Tails from the Brass Monkey
« on: March 08, 2019, 08:20:25 PM »
Hello all,
I have so much on the go at the moment that I thought I would start a new "workbench" thread.
I'm a Southern Region modeller and I'm fascinated with EMU's past and present and I'm currently working on a layout with a friend of mine loosely based on Goring by Sea named Little Twitten.
As well as the many EMU kits I have partially and not quite finished, I have recently been presented with a new challenge; an N-train class 313 kit. This will be my first 3D printed kit and I aim to make it as detailed as possible.
For those who are interested and may have useful tips, please feel free to comment!
More to follow soon...
BM

Offline BrassMonkey

• Awards
Re: Tails from the Brass Monkey
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 08:36:44 PM »
So far I have the 313 "no frills" kit, a few sets of the TPM bogies, and the Electra Rail Southern set of vinyls.
 I'm planning on powering with the Tomytec TM-17 chassis as its as close as the prototype that I can get (plus I have a couple knocking around my workshop from other shelved projects).
As lovely as the 3D prints are, I'm not overly happy with the detail on the cab fronts. Admittedly, they are designed to be covered by the Electra vinyls, but some of the detail such as lights, lamp irons, horns, and even the prominent front recesses (steps) are missing. The plan is to include the aforementioned and (hopefully!) fit some lights and interior detail.

Photos to follow...

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »
I think details like horns and steps are better added separately, brass ones will look better than ‘moulded on’ 3D printed ones, and be far less fragile!

Look forward to watching this develop!

Offline BrassMonkey

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 12:34:06 PM »
So here we go...

All comes neatly packaged and contains the bodyshells, floors, and underfloor detail.
There is also a very delicate pantograph, but as this is a Southern loco, it won't be required.
The vinyls are sent seperatly by Electra.

I've started by making the recesses at the bottom of the cab. You can see how it originally looked on the left.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:56:25 PM by BrassMonkey, Reason: Spelling »

Offline BrassMonkey

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »
So recesses on both sides now done using a scalpel and a file (excuse fingers!)

Next, the top needs "bringing out" slightly as per the prototype, so that was done with white plasticard. Note holes drilled to accept turned brass horns. While I was at it, I added a headlight mount to the front and a set of steps also fabricated from plasticard. The headlight mount was drilled to take a micro LED.

More holes to be drilled later for the rest of the headlights...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:54:33 PM by BrassMonkey, Reason: Needed to add to text »

Offline BrassMonkey

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 09:08:45 PM »
Today I've had a chance to build some of the TPM bogies that I bought to compliment the build, and (as anything TPM produce) they have gone together really well. Hardly any fettling needed and they just slotted together. A bit of liquid poly to hold them, and all good. I've fitted Farish wheels to them and they run nice and freely.

Thinking of fitting the Dapol couplings (short) for a more realistic spacing between coaches. Are there corridors between them?

Offline BrassMonkey

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 06:56:53 PM »
 Does anyone know if there are corridors on a 313?
If so, it'll probably be a good idea to add them. :hmmm:
Cheers,
BM

Offline BrassMonkey

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »
Evening all...
I've managed to escape to the workshop this evening for some tinker time and I have managed to find some brass  air horns from one of my parts bins.
After plenty of trial fitting, cutting, and swearing I have managed to fit a pair of horns to the front of one of the driving cars...

It took a bit if fiddling, and hopefully the Gorilla Superglue will hold them in situe, but overall I'm quite pleased with the result. Anyway, I'm going back in the house now as its getting cold and I don't want to do anymore tonight in case I make any mistakes...

BM

Offline BrassMonkey

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 08:58:42 PM »
Just completed one DMS cab end. Before I continue with the other DMS, I'm going to prep and paint this one and see how it turns out. P.s. The slight yellow tinge to the plastic is where I had to use milliput yellow-grey as a filler to fix a botch. Didn't have any white knocking around, but this is just as good...

Offline BrassMonkey

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 09:01:00 PM »
Also in the news - The LEDs  (white and red) for the head/tail lights turned up today. More on that and the possible circuit I'll be using when the time comes.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:02:32 PM by BrassMonkey »

Offline BrassMonkey

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 09:19:07 PM »
First coat of Tamiya fine surface primer and I can see how rough this type of 3D print is.

When it dries, I'll give it a rub down and another coat or two to lose the rough texture. I know the sides will be vinyl covered, but the ends will definitely need doing.

Offline BrassMonkey

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 07:28:19 PM »
So, a rub down and another coat of Tamiya Fine White, and I think the first part of the unit is ready for the colour coats to the ends and door shuts:-

Also, I treated myself to a can of Mr.Surfacer in grey to lose the print marks in the roof a little bit more before top coat...

Excuse the mess of the paint booth BTW. It gets a lot of use!
BM

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here