!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Question - working Dual Semaphore Signal from one servo  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Neil of Teesside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20093
    • Awards
Re: Question - working Dual Semaphore Signal from one servo
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 06:06:57 PM »
Whilst true it wouldn't be possible for a signalman to pull 2 levers at the same time. However, according to Mick Nicholson in his book Constructing and Operating Semaphore Signals, full size arms are set 6 foot apart and miniature arms are set at 3 foot 6 inch apart. This is to prevent arms from interfering with each other, as well as allowing the drivers to have a clear view of each signal.

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 08:51:33 AM »
Whilst true it wouldn't be possible for a signalman to pull 2 levers at the same time. However, according to Mick Nicholson in his book Constructing and Operating Semaphore Signals, full size arms are set 6 foot apart and miniature arms are set at 3 foot 6 inch apart. This is to prevent arms from interfering with each other, as well as allowing the drivers to have a clear view of each signal.
Thanks Neil.
Some more very useful information which I will take on board.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 11:56:42 AM »
I plan to have 5 or 6 upper quadrant signals on my layout and really hoping to automate them. Looking for suggestions on what type of slow action servo to use, please. Was immediately drawn to considering tortoise or cobalt motors or possibly the Peco PLS-125 Single Servo Motor.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 12:50:00 PM »
I have just looked on the internet and the Peco PLS-125 Single Servo Motor priced at 18.99 seems rather expensive. The servo motors I have purchased for my working semaphores were nothing like that expensive. See link below for digital servos at a fraction of the cost.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigytm-tg9d-digital-micro-servo-1-8kg-0-09sec-9g.html?queryID=61ee43d8c4c128cb33408cf62c7d4fdf&objectID=41779&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 07:46:54 PM »
Thanks, Delboy, for that pointer. As you say, the 9g digital ones look good and are cheap as chips, really, but I am still struggling to get my head around the wiring of these motors. As I mentioned, I will have 6 independently controlled semaphores on the layout. Would be most grateful if someone could possibly explain (in simple terms, and ideally with a easy wiring diagram), how I would set these up. I understand I will need some servo motor controller boards and on/off switches?? Thank you

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2020, 08:25:55 AM »
Thanks, Delboy, for that pointer. As you say, the 9g digital ones look good and are cheap as chips, really, but I am still struggling to get my head around the wiring of these motors. As I mentioned, I will have 6 independently controlled semaphores on the layout. Would be most grateful if someone could possibly explain (in simple terms, and ideally with a easy wiring diagram), how I would set these up. I understand I will need some servo motor controller boards and on/off switches?? Thank you

It really does depend on how you intend to control the semaphores. The ones I have made can be controlled by available third party controllers such as Megapoints or Heathcote Electronics. I have a video showing an upper quadrant signal, being controlled by a very cheap potentiometer circuit, before I added the ladder. See video below.

I will try to help you as much as possible with regards to what components I used and how to wire them up to achieve the same results as in the video, but when used with a "Bounce" controller from Heathcote Electronics the effect is amazing, but of course more costly. See next video below.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:27:12 AM by Delboy »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal