!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Railway Geeks"  (Read 119 times)

Offline Buffin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
"Railway Geeks"
« on: March 07, 2019, 10:51:10 AM »
Janice Turner

I watched Posy Simmonds, the cartoonist and graphic novelist, give a talk at the Aldeburgh literary festival in which, live on to a projector screen, she drew her most famous characters.

What magic to conjure up Tamara Drewe or her new vile anti-heroine Cassandra Darke in quick, precise lines. More remarkable still that, at 73, Posy has not lost her eye for the contemporary, attending burlesque classes and nightclubs, listening to teenagers talk about their sex lives on buses, to perfectly capture the fashions and text-speak vernacular of the young. Only one group, she said, complains about her work. If she draws a train interior, railway geeks besiege her, furious that, say, the seating layout or livery is totally wrong for the Padstow line.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/why-i-m-in-mourning-for-a-grotty-old-fleece-k8np23c8x

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: "Railway Geeks"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »
Behind a paywall for me.

I'm not entirely surprised, I'm often bemused by the vitriol on various fora about incorrect railway portrayal - films are often "ruined" because the signs are the wrong colour for a WR station, programmes "awful" because they pair some Gresley stock with a SR loco, or whatever heinous transgressions are spotted.

I may notice things - but to actually comment to someone as in the excerpt above is just a step too far for me, and does little for public perception of railway enthusiasts!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything