!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ely bridge whacked again  (Read 302 times)

Offline Buffin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
Ely bridge whacked again
« on: March 07, 2019, 08:49:58 AM »
Four days after the famous low bridge reopened, it's been whacked again. Here's a couple of pictures for anyone modelling it

https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/lorry-hits-railway-bridge-in-ely-1-5917630

As a woman from Network Rail complains about the costs and disruptions of this, someone on twitter excellently suggests, why not install an arch before the bridge so that oversize vehicles come to grief on it, rather than at the bridge?

And someone replies: if they were stopped by the arch they would hold up traffic  ???

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
Re: Ely bridge whacked again
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 09:10:32 AM »
The arch is an excellent (and simple) suggestion. You'd get a few accidents (or lorries simply crashing through the arch without realising unless it's a particularly strong one) but it would do the job.

Maybe a more techie solution would be a set of traffic lights with some sort of light up "lorry turn around now" sign triggered by a light sensor beam that's at the bridge height. Lorry drivers might be less likely to go through a red light and take a chance on the bridge knowing they could be prosecuted for the red light whatever happens.

Online geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »
I would have thought that it does not cost Network Rail any money, they can claim on the vehicles insurance. Maybe NR has not woken up to that.

Geoff

Online Shropshire Lad

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:44:32 AM »
The height warning sign in the article does light up when an over height vehicle is detected. The approach road is so short that any arch fitted would have to be substantial enough to either take the top off the vehicle or stop it almost immediately to avoid a bridge bash. When I discussed this with an Network Rail engineer a little while ago there was clearly frustration. It is only possible way to hit this bridge is if you are not paying attention or if you think there is some level of leeway in the height measurement and  risk it rather than use the crossing which runs alongside to save some time.
Cheers Colin

Offline Buffin

• N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 09:59:33 AM »
It's not just the cost of checking the bridge and doing any repairs, Network Rail also have speed restrictions on trains until they know the bridge is safe.

Offline Buzzard

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 10:15:30 AM »
Could this be a case of an HGV fitted with a car satnav which would not recognise a 9 foot bridge height as being a problem for a small vehicle?

An HGV driver who ignored warning signs near to me said, after he got stuck, that he thought they didn't apply to him!  We all suspected he was using a car satnav rather than an HGV one which would've routed him a different way.

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 10:48:08 AM »
I saw this in the Cambridge News. The vehicle wasn't a HGV, but a Luton type Van. The underpass has been converted to single lane with traffic light control from what I saw on the photos.

I know this location quite well; I was in Ely this last Sunday. There is a new bypass linking the Newmarket side of the A142 to the A10 roundabout, so that traffic no longer has to use either the underpass, or the level crossing, so why this van was where it was, I just can't fathom....

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/lorry-ely-bridge-stuntney-road-15920264
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:00:13 AM by Gizzy »
Gizzy

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 10:54:02 AM »
The height warning sign in the article does light up when an over height vehicle is detected. The approach road is so short that any arch fitted would have to be substantial enough to either take the top off the vehicle or stop it almost immediately to avoid a bridge bash. When I discussed this with an Network Rail engineer a little while ago there was clearly frustration. It is only possible way to hit this bridge is if you are not paying attention or if you think there is some level of leeway in the height measurement and  risk it rather than use the crossing which runs alongside to save some time.
Cheers Colin

Ah, so situation made worse by a short approach road.
If there's a level crossing not far away then maybe the logical fix would be to either re-route the roads so the approach road is longer than going to the level crossing or just close that road?

Maybe Network Rail should start taking the road owner (ie government) to court for allowing their users to damage their property and income?

Online Simon D.

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »
There's also a classic one in Raynes Park, SW London.

https://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/news/15856514.lorry-struck-gets-stuck-under-lower-downs-road-bridge-is-this-the-first-for-the-year/

Saw an ambulance get stuck in it a few years back - in the end I think they let down the tyres and it just about got through.

:doh:

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 11:10:38 AM »
Another low bridge in the Anglia region, is Needham Market, close to where I work.

I stopped an Estonian HGV from trying to drive towards it once?

A colleague helped free a camper van by deflating its tyres.

And I saw a van loose its skylight once? The driver must have measured his van to the roof and thought it was okay, but he obviously didn't consider the skylight....
Gizzy

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 12:52:33 PM »
A local bridge carrying the Bridgewater canal across a road has bars on chains on the approaches, but directly before each side of the bridge, it simply has a very thick, baulk of timber.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.475784,-2.3538778,3a,75y,45.54h,74.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_XbCzSsW7wqJCw89dTfwYQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The photo makes it look too high, but it is just an illusion caused by the angle and the way the road slopes down.

This is very effective at protecting the bridge.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:54:19 PM by stevewalker »

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 09:23:57 PM »
The arch is an excellent (and simple) suggestion. You'd get a few accidents (or lorries simply crashing through the arch without realising unless it's a particularly strong one) but it would do the job.

Maybe a more techie solution would be a set of traffic lights with some sort of light up "lorry turn around now" sign triggered by a light sensor beam that's at the bridge height. Lorry drivers might be less likely to go through a red light and take a chance on the bridge knowing they could be prosecuted for the red light whatever happens.

The Aylesbury to Bicester road has a low bridge. THey dropped the road level under the bridge to allow some taller vehicles to pass and also installed height sensors with whopping great big flashing warning signs. They're very effective, but there's always the moron factor with any system.

::)
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 01:08:10 PM »
All I can say is if the driver couldn’t read that huge sign he should have gone to Specsavers  .
On a more serious note he should have his licence taken away untill he has an eyesight test and another driving test.
Bob Tidbury

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here