!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Getting started in 3D - Costs?  (Read 548 times)

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Getting started in 3D - Costs?
« on: March 06, 2019, 01:15:54 PM »
Hi - I'm thinking of producing a custom tank loco body. I'm comfortable hacking die-cast/whitemetal/polystyrene bodies, or even scratch building with plasticard, but I'm conscious these are C20th approaches and the results are inevitably one-offs.

I'd like to ask a quick question about the approximate costs of 3D printing instead.

If I do my own design with, say, TinkerCAD, but have no 3D printer so upload the design to, say, Shapeways to produce one (or more?) prototypes, how much is that likely to set me back?

Once the design is Ok, if I offered the design as a product on Shapeways, again, what would that likely cost me? (I'm not thinking of a commercial venture here, just getting back some of my initial outlay)

Mike
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:17:03 PM by maridunian »

Offline NScaleNotes

• NScaleNotes
    • Awards
Re: Getting started in 3D - Costs?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 03:24:56 PM »
Hi Mike

Try searching for locomotives that are a similar size to what you intend to produce as that'll give you a rough idea of what it will cost; some producers may have added a markup so you may well get something similar cheaper if you printed your own model. In any case, once you've got your CAD model produced, you can upload them to Shapeways and find out how much it'll cost to print for nothing - free quotes basically.

Regarding what it'll cost you for others to buy and print your locos, nothing but the time needed to make a Shapeways shop-front and a good product listing.

Good luck and beware 3D printing is addictive.

Simon
http://nscalenotes.com/
My blog real-World locations that might make interesting layouts, modules or dioramas.

Find out more about my N scale 3D printed tanktainer models:
http://nscalenotes.com/category/modelideas/scratchbuilding/3dprinting/

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 03:50:36 PM »
Ok, well have decided to bite the bullet and have-a-go.

For a generic small saddle tank body intended to fit the old Minitrix 0-6-0 chassis, Shapeways have charged $15.00.

For a sprue comprising 2 pairs of replacement coupling/connecting rods for a Fleischmann 7000 0-4-0, also made in "White Natural Versatile Plastic", they have charged .... $15.00.

Plus $7.40 VAT/Duty and $6.99 "Value Shipping".

Here's hoping I don't need many iterations to get these right ...

Mike

Offline NScaleNotes

• NScaleNotes
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »
Yes, there is a lot of discussion about the Shapeways pricing algorithm. It's meant to be based not only on the type and amount of material used (material and support wax) but also the amount of space used in the 3D printer plus a whole bunch of other voodoo.

For instance I've removed parts from a 3D model, thereby reducing the overall footprint and amount of material used, only to have it cost more to print?!? :)

It's definitely worth doing a bit of experimenting by uploading different configurations of the same model if you've got the time, especially if it's got multiple parts.

Simon
http://nscalenotes.com/
My blog real-World locations that might make interesting layouts, modules or dioramas.

Find out more about my N scale 3D printed tanktainer models:
http://nscalenotes.com/category/modelideas/scratchbuilding/3dprinting/

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 11:21:02 AM »
Ok, well have decided to bite the bullet and have-a-go.

For a generic small saddle tank body intended to fit the old Minitrix 0-6-0 chassis, Shapeways have charged $15.00.

For a sprue comprising 2 pairs of replacement coupling/connecting rods for a Fleischmann 7000 0-4-0, also made in "White Natural Versatile Plastic", they have charged .... $15.00.

Plus $7.40 VAT/Duty and $6.99 "Value Shipping".

Here's hoping I don't need many iterations to get these right ...

Mike

The Shapeways robot kindly emailed me that some of my item walls were too thin, so I took the opportunity when redrawing to reduce the sprue thickness on the con rods and include a void under the saddle tank. This brought the price of the rods down to $5 and the loco to $10.

I see what you mean about this becoming addictive!

Mike

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
To conclude this thread, I've got some working coupling/connecting rods, so have offered the same for sale on Shapeways. They're selling for about 10, of which ~7 goes to Shapeways. P&P extra of course.

Mike

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 12:10:10 PM »
To conclude this thread, I've got some working coupling/connecting rods, so have offered the same for sale on Shapeways. They're selling for about 10, of which ~7 goes to Shapeways. P&P extra of course.

Mike

@maridunian

How do you do the "Shapeways" link above - is it hand coded? I cant find an icon for it.

NR
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/350436414753212039/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 01:07:07 PM »

Mike

@maridunian

How do you do the "Shapeways" link above - is it hand coded? I cant find an icon for it.

NR

Yes, manually. Here's the code:

Mike

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 02:08:54 PM »
You don't need a sprue except to create a single object (for cost).  You could loose 90% of the sprue and tighten up the volume the parts occupy.

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
Thanks - they keep moaning about my sprues being too thin, but I'll certainly take out the central tube (lazy cutting and pasting!)

Mike

Online Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 07:07:49 PM »
Thanks - they keep moaning about my sprues being too thin, but I'll certainly take out the central tube (lazy cutting and pasting!)

Mike

I mean no spruces except one to make a physical join for cost saving

We used to just print the part with no spruce.

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 09:43:14 AM »
As this part is 3D printed I would have thought there was no need for a sprue, or even the frame. Sprue's and runners are used in injection tooling to fill cavities.

Although I guess because of the material the frame is for support and to prevent warping or damage to the parts, but even so there is enough there that could be reduced if it saves cost.

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I guess it's my Airfix roots showing again. I'll try a 'frameless' option and see what the robot says...

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 10:15:10 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I guess it's my Airfix roots showing again. I'll try a 'frameless' option and see what the robot says...

Which factory did you work at? I have a few mates that worked for Airfix and Lesney.

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 10:17:35 AM »

Which factory did you work at? I have a few mates that worked for Airfix and Lesney.

Sorry, I should have said  "Airfix kit-building roots"!

Mike

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here