!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Double Slip code 55 insulfrog or electrofrog  (Read 820 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Double Slip code 55 insulfrog or electrofrog
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »
k

While I agree that this is the most challenging piece of trackwork, I have all the above stock and none of it gives any issue on the double slips, one of which is now over 15 years old and heavily used, so that seems strange.

Cheers,
Alan
[/quote]

Yes, despite the years of modelling in N (started in 1973), I just couldn’t work it out. Thought they both - there were two - must be faulty in some way, but then read of others having similar problems and taking them out. This is why I mentioned it, as they are not cheap.

Izzy

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 11:16:37 AM »
I have two double slips which are joined to each other, and have had few problems with them.

The frog polarity is set by Peco microswitches (PL 32, on appropriate mount-can't find reference), and like Dr Al, mine have been in use for about 15 years, and the cl 47s are about the only loco I have had problems with. Some stock-not all-does sway and dip a bit; but I have replaced all my Peco and early Poole style wheels with new Farish or Parkside metal wheels as a matter of course.

My stock includes cl 24s, which I don't have problems with.

IIRC, Noel Leaver penned an article in the 'Journal' a few years ago to show how to modify these to avoid the dipping; but I've not altered mine.

Martyn

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:14 AM »
Hi all - I have now tested the Minitrix Double slip (30 degree version) with three steamer locos and this runs fine at a medium speed with the power up a bit to make sure it goes over  - see video https://youtu.be/nLwUcQovmNo

As you can see in the video I'm using an old H&M controller here for the test, if I used a more modern controller with smoother output it might work better at lower speeds. The locos were: Dapol A4, Minitrix Ivatt Tank and Minitrix 9F. The 9F seems to go over anything!

Not shown on the video - at low (crawling) speed, the Tank engine would stall sometimes and need "the hand of God". The slips are planned for the station throat so I'm confident with a bit of momentum either leaving the platforms or coming in to them then we'll be OK. Also, I hadn't cleaned the rails or locos so this might have had something to do with it...

There did not seem to be any problems with loco or coaching stock traversing the slip, no juddering or rocking, so I'm pleased with that.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:20:11 AM by DarrwestLU6, Reason: added loco details »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 03:10:53 AM »
darren

looking good my friend. Looks easy tn wire up to the controller. Do you use the h & m to operate the point blades? Wiring and electrics have never been my strong point. So had better learn once i have the refurb done
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:37:57 AM by crewearpley40 »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 03:24:17 AM »
could be interesting but do clean the rails

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 12:28:29 PM »
@crewearpley40 - Hi Chris - yes, the H&M 12v terminals on the side of the controller can work the accessories and seem to work fine with the Minitrix slip motor and I know from previously work Peco motors fine too. I can help you with electrics! Darren

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »
thanks for that

will be in touch later

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00