!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Roy's Kit Building Workshop  (Read 503 times)

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Roy's Kit Building Workshop
« on: February 23, 2019, 10:36:29 PM »
As an antidote to boredom, having been signed off work for a few weeks, thoughts turned to my wagon kit stash. I think most of us have a few kits squirrelled away for a rainy day, as it turned out I have quite a number!

It is quite incredible what is around and available (even if out of production for some years) and I have examples from various suppliers ready to go.

So, if you kind people will indulge me, below are the first three. There is nothing especially clever or cutting edge in their construction, they require only basic modelling skills. My simple rules are to always read instructions if provided, work out how it goes together before glue is reached for! Take your time, walk away if it is beating you and finally but importantly take time and care painting it, many a well made kit has been ruined by rushing the paint job (and don't ask me how I know this!...).

First up, our very own Atso's Pigeon van. This one made up from a resin kit (I think Atso had between 25 and 50 made in total). As you would expect, it is a very well thought out kit that makes up into an unusual prototype. Mine is in unlined BR maroon: -

Next an NGS Weltrol in BR Bauxite. This one has the NGS crated load. A nice kit, easy to make which builds up into an unusual prototype. The only mod it needed was a bit of material taken away from the inside of the frames to stop wheels rubbing.

Lastly for now an NGS Trestol wagon, in BR unfitted grey, this one carries a signal pre-built by the engineers to replace a life expired one at a forthcoming possession. The signal is a failed Dapol one, it was good to find some use for it!

That's all for now, although there are other finished wagons to show and more in the pipeline!

Roy

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Roy's Kit Building Workshop
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 10:53:07 PM »
Great modelling there Roy. :thumbsup:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »
looking good :)

Online Atso

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 06:46:34 PM »
Wonderful stuff Roy. Hope you are recovering well.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 09:05:33 PM »
Thanks guys.

Steve, thank you, things are plodding on, I have a hospital appointment Monday for a scan following which I will find out a bit more.

So, anyway, next through the "works" was one of a pair of Chivers Extra Long CCTs. I am embarrassed by how long this remained in a partly finished state! The chassis next to it is something I have been tinkering with for a while (if not as long as the CCT!) doubtless it will be boxed up again when other kits hit the workbench.

Roy

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 09:07:49 PM »
Still signed off work, I would have to say that the pace of wagon production has slowed off which is probably just symptomatic of not always being in the mood and other things like sleep taking priority. However one I have been slowly developing is a crane to add to my engineering train. Some may recall that one of the bolster wagons completed earlier had a signal as a load, and I began to reason that somehow this, and also any vehicles and other heavier equipment would need to be off loaded at the works site - a crane was needed....

I tried to use photos to get a good idea of the features of such a crane, not a "heavy lift" breakdown type, something much lighter and more versatile. It sits on a Peco 15ft wheelbase wagon chassis. I have put a representation of a steam engine in the cab of the crane, and included sacks of coal and other consumables on the match truck which is an NGS Medfit. Both wagons have had wheel bearings deepened slightly and Farish metal wagon wheels added.

All painted Railmatch weathered black acrylic.

It's not perfect and will probably have some eyes looking upward to the ceiling, but I think it looks the part, and will be great trundling round the layout with other engineering vehicles.

Roy

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 09:25:42 PM »
Wonderful modelling Roy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online Atso

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »
That looks great Roy!  8)

Offline Dickydcc

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 07:14:07 PM »
They look Good! I may well have a go, but its the painting that puts me off