!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Security Fencing  (Read 247 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Security Fencing
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:53:30 PM »
I am in the process of putting together the Security Railings as sold by Scale Model Railways, for going round the Royal Mail depot on Averingcliffe

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/lx055-n-laser-cut-2m-palisade-security-fencing--gates-n2mm1148-850-p.asp

and like everything I have bought from SMS, I am quite pleased with the kit. However, it is quite tedious, 72 pieces less than 1mm square, (the posts), have to be cut from the fret and then glued to the fencing  :o so it is out with the cocktail stick and Rocket Card Glue. (And that is before I get to the gates!).  The picture shows the fret and a piece of the fencing, along with 7 of the posts inside a 1cm square on the cutting mat.

The point of this post is to let you know what Louisa said when I remarked how tedious it all was - "Well you will go and get these tiny things".  :goggleeyes: I mean, it's N gauge, what does she expect? Women, don't you just love 'em?  :smackedface:

!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Philipp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • Twitter
    • My N Gauge Railway
    • Awards
Re: Security Fencing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 06:52:00 PM »
Wow  :) don't think my eyes could cope with that  :goggleeyes: you've done a great job though  :thumbsup:

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 07:05:33 PM »
To be honest, a lot of the work is already done by SMR. All the parts are laser cut, so it is just a question of cutting through the tiny 'uncut' bits to release the fence pieces and posts. The hard bit is picking up the (insert own word) tiny posts. Using Rocket allows a small amount of time to get the posts in position on a few drops of the glue. I pick up the posts with the point of a sharp blade and put them into position, once my hand steadies!  :)
David.

Offline nookfield

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
Could you fix the cross rail while the main part of the fence is still held in the fret? You might have to remove part of the fret to enable this.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 07:39:48 PM »
Not sure what happened there! I replied to the post by @nookfield  and my reply has appeared before the question.  ??? Did you delete your initial question?

Addit: My reply has disappeared! However, basically the answer is no. The cross rail, (horizontal), bar is part of the fence. The vertical posts are the ones that have the extra piece glued on front and back. It would be a right pain to get them 100% spot on whilst the fence piece was still on the fret.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:42:15 PM by dannyboy »
David.

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »
Weii, you will go and get these tiny things  ;D ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 08:41:46 PM »
In my de(security)fence m'lud, I have to state that I knew nowt about n gauge until I discovered this site!  :no:. if people were not so flamin' helpful and knowledgeable, I would not be in the position I am in now. So it is not my fault, it is the fault of everybody else!  :P ;)
David.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here