!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Droppers  (Read 175 times)

Offline Frenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21776
    • Awards
Droppers
« on: February 23, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »
I've recently come across some AWG 26 wire and was wondering whether it would be OK for use as droppers for track feeds. It would be a lot more "discreet" than the 7/02 stuff I'm used to but looks a bit thin.

Anyone any opinions?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Droppers
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 11:14:26 AM »
Droppers only need to be 10cm or so long and only carry current for one or two locos.  It's the bus which carries the full current.  So yes should be fine if they're not really thin?

On the other hand, if you solder the droppers to the underside of the rails  (or the lower hidden section of Peco code 55 which is what I do) then  they're invisible anyway so you can use the 7/.02 or whatever.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Frenchie

• N Gauge Society Number: 21776
    • Awards
Re: Droppers
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
Thanks. I thought it would be OK but always worth getting a second opinion. I haven't tried soldering to the underside of the rail. It would certainly look neater and avoid the melted sleepers! I'll give it a try.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything