!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 12v DC Motor Specifications  (Read 131 times)

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
12v DC Motor Specifications
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:21:53 PM »
Is there anyone who can provide me the typical specifications of 12v DC brushed motors used in N Gauge locomotives please?

The two main details I am looking for are: working voltage and RPM

e.g. 

Voltage    Speed
3V           5000 rpm
6V          10200 rpm
7.4V       13000 rpm

Names of the manufacturers would be greatly appreciated. Although I guess most of them will be advertising on www.alibaba.com.

So pretty much any other info that you may have about modern N gauge DC motors would be welcomed too.

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: 12v DC Motor Specifications
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
The nearest you might find is the table the EM Gauge Society used to maintain.  But its unlikely to list random Chinese makers whose products seem to come and go rather quickly.

What you probably also need is some measure of the torque.   The quoted RPM will be "no load", and a feeble torque motor won't move much with a load on it regardless of what volts are thrown at it. 

Or, at the other end of the price range, Swiss instrument motor makers (eg. Faulhaber, Maxxon, Portescap, etc) have published data for their motors.  But the motors are priced rather higher than those from China. 

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: 12v DC Motor Specifications
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply Nigel.

I suppose really its down to good old trial an error finding which motor would suite the application, there must be some consistency in manufacturing certain types of motors even in China!

There's a few now popping up on ebay and very cheap too, so maybe worth my while buying a few to suck and see what will work.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything