!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My 3D printed semaphore signal working like a good'un  (Read 1812 times)

Online Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: My 3D printed semaphore signal working like a good'un
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 11:34:22 AM »
I have been developing my own 3D printed working semaphore signals and now have an LMS round post upper quadrant. The unit fits and is secured from underneath the baseboard, through a suitably drilled hole. This can then be filled in leaving a relatively small base compared to the Dapol ones. The video shows one set up to a signal "bounce" controller for better effect. For a fuller explanation, please see video link below.

I know that @DarrwestLU6 was asking about this LMS signal so the link is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy9SC6RzwNg

Being self critical, post printing of the signal arm, I forgot to clean up the danger lens hole so the RED light is not as obvious as the CLEAR light. That will be rectified for future.
Any other comments are more than welcome.
Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 11:39:11 AM »
Excellent! :claphappy:

Are you sure there's not a little guy under the baseboard hauling chains to operate it, though? ;)

Online Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 12:04:29 PM »
Excellent! :claphappy:

Are you sure there's not a little guy under the baseboard hauling chains to operate it, though? ;)

Oh! You've sussed it out.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline JonHarbour

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 06:32:40 AM »
Excellent work Del! Very impressive!
Still planning a layout...

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 08:14:09 AM »
@Delboy - looks really good! Id be happy to put in an order for a few...

Offline busbar

• N Gauge Society Number: 19499
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 08:36:39 PM »
I have just received 6 GWR home signals from Delboy and am very impressed with the quality and value. They were tailor made to accommodate my baseboard thickness and they come fully assembled with operation by servo via a servo tester (supplied) also with full detailed instructions, which are needed to dismantle in order to paint the arm and column and to locate and wire up. Otherwise they are ready to plant. A PM to Delboy will no doubt get you a quote etc if you are interested in getting some working semaphores.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 11:26:41 PM »
I was wondering how I missed all this wonderful stuff, but then looking at the dates, I realised that I was laid up in hospital, but that's no excuse, I managed to keep up with other topics at the time.

Anyway, now that I have, let me say well done Mr Delboy, most impressive indeed.

Triple  :thumbsup:

Excellent work.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »
Very good work. Having done it myself I know making working signals in N is quite an achievement. Well worth the effort though.

Online Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »
Thanks for your kind comments gents.
The link to the video below shows the GWR signal and controller (which can be placed as shown on the video in a signal panel) and using the travel limiter, seated underneath the potentiometer knob, the signal arm is restricted to travel between the CLEAR and DANGER positions to align with the built in LED for night time use. That signal post equates to 25 scale feet. The speed of movement of the signal is in the control of the operator. alternatively the, controller can be discarded and the signal used on other well known servo controllers available on the market.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 11:42:40 AM »
thanks for the tutorial

looking good

Online Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »
After much toiling in the garden and odd jobbing around the house, I finally got around to attempting to improve my working semaphore signals and this time specifically the round post upper quadrant signals.
It was difficult to disguise the fact that I was feeding LED wires down the outside of the 3D printed round post signals whereas with the square post GWR signals I could hide them in a groove.
I thought about 3D printed round tube but the outer diameter of the posts would have equated to at least 12" (in excess of 300mm) which in my opinion was excessive. Also the finish was not that great, so I decided to pursue brass tubing with 3D printed upper and lower pivot blocks. The assembly is primed and sprayed and I feel gives a much better effect.
The Youtube video below shows it working with a simple servo potentiometer set-up, using a signal arm limiter to ensure there is no over-run of the arm and hence guaranteed alignment with the LED for DANGER and CLEAR. When I did the video, there was no access ladder on it but I have since added one as the photo below shows.
Please feel free to comment.

Offline emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 06:56:50 PM »
You never disappoint.

Excellent work bloke.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 07:06:17 PM »
Very slick! Both the signal and the video. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland, UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »
Sorry for the late response, but thanks for the positive comments. I have now improved the latest semaphore signal - Round post upper quadrant using a realistic ladder and platform.
In order to assess any interest and see if i is worth my while making these for the benefit of others, I have decided to auction this RTR model on FleaBay.
If anyone is interested this particular semaphore signal is suitable for up the 12mm (1/2") baseboard thickness (other baseboard thicknesses could be catered for on request) and is the equivalent of 30 foot in height. 
It is quite robust in that it is made using brass tube and 3D printed pivot points and I will give a 12 month warranty for the digital servo and controller in normal use.
Take a look, you know you want to!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183990141003

Cheers,

Offline emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »
Sorry for the late response, but thanks for the positive comments. I have now improved the latest semaphore signal - Round post upper quadrant using a realistic ladder and platform.
In order to assess any interest and see if i is worth my while making these for the benefit of others, I have decided to auction this RTR model on FleaBay.
If anyone is interested this particular semaphore signal is suitable for up the 12mm (1/2") baseboard thickness (other baseboard thicknesses could be catered for on request) and is the equivalent of 30 foot in height. 
It is quite robust in that it is made using brass tube and 3D printed pivot points and I will give a 12 month warranty for the digital servo and controller in normal use.
Take a look, you know you want to!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183990141003

Cheers,

Looking good.

One observation on the EBay listing, in the first video you show your control box, you may be well advised to state that your control box is not included.

Good luck, I'm pretty sure it'll sell well.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75%