!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Regleun IV - A new hope  (Read 3028 times)

Offline GreyWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
Re: Port Regleun IV - A new hope
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »
Quote from: weave
Hi Greywolf,

See what you're saying. Will see what it looks like later but was thinking that the loading from the fishing boats would be railside......

20190623_144442 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

The tramway track will only be one, not two so plenty of room for cranes and things.

Hi Martin,

You are correct in that the boat access is between the buildings in the pic that you like but ... keeping the buildings against the right-hand wall, turning the slipway so it's against the back wall and extending the quay left and adding cranes etc. against the back wall.

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Ah, I thought that the "tram/rail-way" side would be for the ferry ... and the opposite side could be the fishing harbour/market etc.?

Cheers  :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
Whether the three buildings including the open air cafe area are at right angles to, or parallel to, the railway tracks, I think they should be on the right, for easy access and better protection from storms, rather than at the far left end where they will be more exposed. The slipway should be sited after the buildings.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2019, 12:05:01 PM »
Hi Greywolf,

All a bit complicated due to me changing my mind but it's just a fishing harbour now and the ferry terminal will be along a causeway on the other side of the room.

Hi Chris (IP),

I know what you're saying about access but regarding storms am thinking that the fishing harbour and station are way back from the actual sea on that side and perhaps the buildings in question look out the other way as well (ie where the house wall is) to another small harbour for yachts etc. The wall will only be on the right and then along the sticking out bit of the house wall.

Imagination is difficult to describe. There's a sort of isthmus thing going on. I'll draw a map and post this week before everyone has had enough of me and gives up viewing if you haven't already  :(.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2019, 10:32:41 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Always very interested how your decision looks Chris.
     regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »
Thanks, Chris (Weave). I think I understand, now. I do hope though that there will be a nice broad walkway from the station around to the three buildings so that no-one falls into the harbour late at night!

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »
Hi all,

Just to say that a Tullibardine Malt Whisky ferry wagon was seen in Hampshire early yesterday evening and is believed to be bound for France.

Didier and Jean-Paul (station pilot loco crew at Port Regleun) had also noticed the wagon on their roster for week. The exact arrival date in Brittany was in doubt but probably on the Wednesday morning ferry arrival from West Porthsea Quay.

The two lads had noticed it as it was marked 'special' in that half the load was to be unloaded at the Port Regleun fishing harbour quay station with some crates going to local bars and hotels. Other crates were to be reloaded onto an SNCF wagon bound for Brest and Quimper.

The Tullibardine liveried wagon is then to be attached to a southbound train, a goods train or possibly to the rear of a sleeper train, undecided yet, one of the destinations being Sant Pau de Mar in the Principality of Izaro. It is hoped that the whisky should arrive by Friday or Saturday for local hostelries and the Grand Opening of Nicolau Cordona and Esteve Roig's Beach Bar.

Through Aina, Nicolau's sister, then her friend Catala, her friend Sofia and her dad José Maria de La Vega the whisky had come highly recommended and many crates had been ordered.

Have pm'd you Andrew, @Milton Rail , but thank you again for the Perthshire parcel.

Cheers weave  :beers::beers:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »
Hi Chris (IP),

Thank you for the reply. There are plans for an expanded walkway anyway but especially now as there are rumours that due to the Station Hotel on the other side of the quay having most of the clientele and as most people are through passengers and don't need hotel accommodation, the Hotel Gwiad may sell up and it be changed into a Scottish bar.

Negotiations are taking place as we speak. 'La Cidrerie' bar next door think it's a great idea as they can be a bit noisier and as it's a bit away from anything else there can be more live music. More people and therefore no threat to business, in fact it might increase.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2019, 10:24:14 PM »
Thanks, Chris (Weave). That all makes excellent sense.

Now, I need to keep up with which places are 'visible' as destination or departure points!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:25:47 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2019, 11:08:52 PM »
Thanks, Chris (Weave). That all makes excellent sense.

Now, I need to keep up with which places are 'visible' as destination or departure points!

Hi Chris (IP),

Could be the heat, so apologies, but what does the second sentence mean please?

Thanks Chris (weave)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2019, 11:13:15 PM »
My apologies, Chris (Weave), which places are now being modelled and which one is no longer.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2019, 11:40:01 PM »
Hi Chris (IP),

Sorry. I forget what I've said and because it's in my head I sometimes presume people know what I'm talking about.

So, there are just two layouts now......

Firstly, Port Regleun (Port Regleun IV - A new hope thread ie. this one) which is the Brittany fishing port that now has all the buildings and will have the ferry port separated by a causeway. Trémargat St. Croix no longer exists.

Secondly, Sant Pau de Mar (Principat d'Izaro thread) which is in the East of the peninsular of Izaro. Previous Principat d'Izaro town names might be mentioned but do not exist anymore in layout form.

Hope that makes sense and will be amending the Alternative West Country thread shortly.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:41:19 PM by weave »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2019, 12:12:41 AM »
Hi all,

Have edited the 'Alternative West Country and friends' thread so hopefully all is now clear  :)  :worried:.

Hope you all survived our one day of heat.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2019, 10:09:17 PM »
Hi all,

Been a while but a bit of progress on Port Regleun. I've decided to move the buildings from previous pics to the right hand side alcove with yachts and fishing boats etc. (to be sorted) and have the train ferry on the left hand side where the buildings were as it fits the harbour depth when I first built it.

This means I can have a causeway going round two of the other sides of the room and the side where the window is will eventually be a bridge but for the moment will be just a plank of wood to connect it all up. I have a geographic plan of the area in my head to explain where trains are going and coming from, the rivers and sea etc. but will do that another time.

So, a few pics of the causeway. This goes across the doorway and isn't very neat, but that will all be hidden with rocks etc., as had to raise the track level in the harbour for the ferry and then adjust what I had already built accordingly.

I wasn't quite sure what I was doing but I wanted it to be removable. The removable piece lifts out and is just held down with bolts and wing nuts. I've managed to line up the Kato track without connectors but with a constant power feed and it all works.

I was going to do video but it is quite precarious and didn't want Mick NPN to start having kittens  :D. Although there will be a sea wall at the back, there will have to be some sort of clear plastic at the front methinks.

Pic of where the buildings were, now the ferry lock with causeway approaching the door.....

20191009_195619 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Causeway coming round across the doorway.......

20191009_195607 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

The causeway.....

20191009_195549 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Other side of the doorway......

20191009_195539 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Continuing on where there will be outlets from the river to the sea....

20191009_195516 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Some pics of the first train across the void. Was one of it mid precariousness but it hasn't uploaded, anyway, it made it across......

20191009_195837 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20191009_195957 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20191009_200203 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Finally the ferry. It won't be exactly where it is but I was just getting the levels right.....

20191009_195701 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

I have done some of the infrastructure and have worked on a smaller 'Sonmel' train ferry but nothing worth showing. Not that these pics are great but thought better keep the thread going.

Cheers and Santé from Brittany, weave  :beers:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2019, 10:16:53 PM »
That looks great!  :thumbsup:

Glad the train made it! Also glad you didn't video it, 'cos you're right, Mick would have had kittens.

Cool livery on that loco, by the way.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2019, 07:11:22 AM »
Some big changes! Looking good.  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00