!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Regleun IV - A new hope  (Read 2478 times)

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Port Regleun IV - A new hope
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:52:49 PM »
Hi all,

Well, after things have gone well with my wife's job recently, she (we  ;) )have decided that the long, ongoing house move is off for another few, probably more years.

I have permission to drill into the walls and will be buying this.....

https://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/MU_N-B00070.html

The train room is chaos but the plan is to have a single line all around the edge of the room with Port Regleun (train ferry terminal to Cornwall) in one corner.

It means that I can run long trains and store the other smaller layouts on their side underneath as the, prob 1 ft wide Dawlish Warrenesque scenery boards will be chest height. I actually prefer standing to sitting when working on stuff and watching the trains so it seems like a good plan to me.

The station and port bit will be wider and there's an alcove in another corner for a cider orchard.

Haven't worked out the door bit yet but will probably have it permanent at an angle, so you can open the door, and just crawl underneath.

I've put this in 'layout construction' rather than 'planning' as off to the builder's merchant soon as excited and hope to have pics of the start by next week.

The other small layouts are not forgotten and can still be worked on in the middle of the room on a trestle table when I have time.

I will get there one day. Have new mojo now knowing we're not moving for a while.

Cheers for listening, weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:55:23 PM by weave »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Port Regleun IV - A new hope
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 01:56:25 PM »
That all sounds very good to me and congratulations to Mrs Weave.
It is far easier to get motivated when your life is settled I think.
I look forward to rapid progress over the coming months.
That ferry terminal looks most interesting.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 03:47:42 PM »
I feel your excitement. Good luck and let's see lots of pics please.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »
 :hellosign: Indeed good news Chris, looking forward to developments.
     The ferry terminal does look very interesting  :thumbsup:
      regards Derek.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 06:17:35 AM »
That looks like a really interesting piece of kit Sir! Will be looking forward to seeing pics as you progress this ... best of luck to you and Mrs. Weave!

Cheers  :beers:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 06:32:28 AM »
All sounds very interesting and full of potential.  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to developments!

Good to hear about Mrs Weave's job news too. Well done!  :beers:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 08:24:10 AM »
Hi guys,

Thank you all.

The ferry jetty looks like it is quite complicated so am sure I'll be asking for advice soon. DM Toys are pretty good on delivery speed.

It wasn't the greatest start to the build though yesterday. Thought I'd take the dog's for a walk and then go on to Guildford for some wood and beat the rush hour. All was going well until on the way back, just after the last exit before the Hindhead tunnel the traffic stopped.

Lorry fire just the other side of the tunnel  :doh:. No one was hurt but was in the jeep for 2 1/2 hours. One man and four dogs with crossed legs towards the end  :worried: watching all the cars coming off the junction slip road to our left  >:(  :(.

That pretty much scuppered the evening's plans. Je suis le chef de cuisine in our house so was too knackered to do anything after we'd eaten.

New day so will hopefully make a start later. The traffic jam did give me time to try and work out the best way to attach the boards to the wall crossing a window, a door and two in built shelves though. Am non the wiser really but should all be good fun  :).

Proper updates soon, I hope.

Cheers weave, :beers:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »
Good luck and HO HO HO about the title of your thread. Very clever! May the force etc.  :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 05:52:14 PM »
Best of luck with the new harbour, Chris.

Steve has decided to extend the harbour on James St; guess who has to build the ships and dockside cranes?

First ship is just finished-its taken about 130 hours....four cranes down out of eight, so far..

Hope the train ferry goes well; some 'Continental' train ferries had a single track onto the ship, then gauntleted points to give extra tracks on board; a Flieschmann 3-way may be the nearest?

BRG

martyn

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »
Thanks Martyn,

130 hours. Blimmin' 'eck! Saying that, it'll probably take me that long to make the jetty. Maybe the ferry will be out at sea for a long time.

I'll make sure the harbour station has a café/bar to keep the waiting passengers fed and watered. Can always blame the weather.

Hope you're well and thanks again for posting.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 07:49:41 PM »
What?
At 5 hours a day thats 26 days!
You sure it’s not 1:1 scale? :-\
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 11:43:29 AM »
Good luck with this one Weave.

Sounds like an interesting project. Looking forward to the first construction photos.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »
Hello again Chris and Port Perran;

yes it WAS about 130 hours; basically all my modelling time for about ten weeks. And Port Perran's calculations aren't far out; it was about four hours a day for about 90% of that time. I agree a modern Korean or Chinese yard could probably build a real one in the same time! Most of the time was, as ever, in the detailing of the hatches, winches, masts, rigging, and derricks, and so on.But I was pleased with the result; hopefully, weather permitting, it will be on display on James St at the Leamington Spa show in March, and Ilford at the end of April, and Stuart will get some piccies for posting.

I've now got two North Sea trawler kits to do something with, and a Rhine barge; the trawlers are a bit difficult as the hull form, especially the stern, is designed for the job of being seaworthy, and its may be interesting trying to make the hull more cargo orientated.

Anyone know of a model kit for a 450' long reefer (ship, that is!)? I don't want to build one that big, but it is in Steve's cunning plans for the future, so I'm having a look just in case.

BTW, there is an article in the March 'Railway Modeller' about the ships built in 4mm for the great model rail challenge, or whatever it was; might have to get it to read some ideas.

BRG

martyn

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 01:49:00 PM by martyn, Reason: correction »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
Hi Martyn,

Please feel free to post your ship pics here and make me jealous. I find it frustrating that manufacturers seem to have forgotten our scale and then occasionally you see a 1:150, or thereabouts, scale ship kit from Holland or Poleczechistan or wherever from a company that no one's ever heard of on ebay.

I think the Forum should have an 'N gauge ships and boats' section so we can share our elusive finds.

I'll keep me eyes out for a reefer ship on my search travels.

I did once ring one of those model ship manufacturers who make them bespoke for corporate companies. I just wanted to see what his rough quote for a 1:150 scale model of a Brittany Ferry would be. I expected 2, maybe 3 Grand. No  :no:..... £9,000.00 or maybe more. Blimey.

Try getting that purchase by the good lady when all you got her for Valentine's Day were some manky daffs stolen from Old Bob next door's garden  :D.

Anyway, back to the boards.

Cheers all, weave  :beers:

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 05:41:30 PM »
Thanks for the post, Chris.

I used to be a Navigating Officer on deep sea shipping, and I have often wondered where all the museum quality ship models went to from all the old shipping companies and shipyards. My own company headquarters in Leadenhall St, London, had loads of them, and most of the other shipping company offices did also. Some have ended up in museums, and I think South Tyneside college has some in its corridors, or at least it did last time I was there.

But there must have been hundreds just destroyed; I think that for all the major companies, at least the 'first of class' had a model made for the directors to gloat over, and the publicity side to publish and show the latest technology to passengers and freight forwarders. I don't know what the scale was, though; somewhere closer to 4mm than N, possibly quite a bit bigger than that, even, and probably an Imperial ratio anyway. Think of the exhibits in places such as the Science museum and National Maritime museum; so much probably lost forever.

Back to my next kit project...….coincidently , I was given a couple of modern maritime interest magazines last week, and they were advertising models such as you've just described, and one even had an article on the factory producing some (in Mauritius!) but strangely, there are no prices quoted!

I'll try and pass on any relevant ship models that I find, as well.

BRG

martyn

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything