!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Regleun IV - A new hope  (Read 3184 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Regleun IV - A new hope
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2019, 10:28:52 AM »
Story continued....

After finishing their breakfast, the girls decided to have a little wander and have a look at the SNCF 231 Chapelon steam loco (a seemingly permanent fixture in the area now due to the lack of enough 141s seen all over France) together with some colourful goods wagons on the next platform.

'There's Christian' Sofia said quietly as she nudged Catala with her elbow. The girls slowly walked towards a small group of suited men standing by the goods wagons chatting to two men in dirty blue overalls, one holding a flag.

'Ladies, good morning' he said loudly. 'Please join us'. 'These are my colleagues'. Introductions were made and then Christian asked Eli and Sylvia if they would kindly help them out of a bit of a jam. He explained that although the Dortmunder Union beer wagons and several others had already made it safely to Sonmel  that they wanted to check the last four Wickueler wagons (from their Wuppertal Brewery just South of Dortmund) were properly secure as they believed the crossing might be rather choppy. That is why they had been brought to the station.

'Our French is not so good and this man either doesn't understand or is being rather difficult' he continued. 'My pleasure', said Eli and walked over to the two SNCF workers, who hearing her Breton accent seem to warm instantly. After lots of Gallic raising and lowering of voices along with some shrugging, Eli returned.

'All sorted' she said. 'A bit of female charm works wonders. Didier and Jean-Paul here are having a bit of a logistical problem and weren't told the purpose of bringing the wagons to the station but they are opening the wagon doors now so you can check'. Christian's colleagues checked the four wagons and the kegs and crates all seemed to be in order.

Didier climbed into the cab of the BB 63000 station pilot and with a toot slowly headed back up to the sidings to prepare the train ferry wagons and coaches.

20190618_202105 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190618_202113 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

As the rear of the train passed the small gathering of people, Jean-Paul, sitting on the back of the last wagon, waved his flag at them and shouted 'Eh, Eli!' and then something in Breton dialect.

20190618_202211 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Christian, concerned that maybe he had insulted the girl for stepping in to help them, asked what the SNCF worker had said.

Eli smiled and replied 'He wanted my telephone number as he wants to take me out for dinner.' They all laughed.

As the group walked back towards the station building, Christian explained to the girls that he was the only one going to Sonmel and that his colleagues were travelling to various parts of Brittany to promote their wares. 'I'll be travelling in one of the 'Star of the West' Pullman coaches and I believe we had reserved several seats just in case so you are all very welcome to join me. Your coach is coming too so I'm sure all your belongings will be safe'.

'Thank you', they all replied. 'I'll have a word with the porter', said Sylvia, 'just to make sure the compartment door is locked'. Christian said farewell to his colleagues and the five headed back up the platform to the CIWL Pullman coach knowing that Didier and his mate would be doing their work soon.

Didier and Jean-Paul firstly had to remove the Touropa coaches that were staying in France....

20190618_202317 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Then the 'through' Touropa coach.....

20190618_202353 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

This was then attached to the rear of the 'Star of the West' through coaches.....

20190618_202437 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190618_202448 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

And then back to the sidings to collect the goods wagons before setting off to the ferry terminal where more shunting would have to be done with regard to weight loads on the twin tracked train ferry...

20190618_202513 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Finally, the train leaves Port Regleun along the causeway for the Gare Maritime Internationale, the five enjoying another coffee, Didier still cursing the train set ups, Jean Paul, now a bit warmer in the cab and thinking of Eli, Catala thinking how nice it'll be to get to know Christian better on the crossing and Christian thinking how the hell am I going to get to Sonmel......

20190618_203647 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190618_203745 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190618_203819 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190618_203814 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Sorry so long winded but glad some of you enjoyed it and hope you enjoyed the last bit. Yes, it's over  :claphappy:

Thank you all for reading.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2019, 03:21:19 PM »
Thanks for the story Chris and the pictures.
Youíve certainly been busy keeping us entertained even if I still get mightily confused by all the continental rolling stock.  Iím sure Iíll get the hang of it one day. :doh:
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2019, 08:15:07 PM »
Many thanks, Chris (Weave) for the photos. and continuing story. That is a very fine collection of continental coaches.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2019, 09:00:21 PM »
The coaches and wagons safely chained in place on the train ferry decks, the ferry was made ready to sail.

The four young women had quickly made their way to the cafe bar, invited by Christian.

Sofia was standing next to Catala as she stood next Christian whilst he placed their orders at the counter.

"Do you think Christian knows how to get to Sonmel, Eli?" asked Sylvia as the two friends waited at their table for four.

"Well, he's German and they are terribly efficient and organised, aren't they", smiled Eli. "He must have a contact there as, otherwise, how would he know that Sonmel exists?"

"True, true, Eli. If we hadn't met that gentleman from Sonmel at that party, in London, we would never have received our invitation to Sonmel and the train ferry tickets and tourist visas from the Honourary Consul. We had never heard of Sonmel before that, had we?"

"No, but Susan asked the TARDIS and she knew all about it, Sylvia."

"True, true. Here comes Sofia . .. with Catala and Christian."
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:03:58 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2019, 10:25:21 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
 Many thanks again Chris, excellent story  :thumbsup: Thanks Chris (IP) aptly moving the story along
        regards Derek.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2019, 10:31:18 PM »
Hi Chris (IP),

Thank you for taking the reins there. Making stuff up and posting pics is quite knackering, especially if one's not very good at it and there's fantasy islands and time travellers involved.

I'll stay in the pub. I've just spent an hour or so in 'La Cidrerie' bar in Port Regleun having a couple of Lambigs, or gwinardants, as Didier prefers to call them, with himself and Jean-Paul after their shift.

Didier was whingeing that not only were the SNCF, in association with RENFE, thinking of starting a new Talgo service from Port Regleun to Barcelona, possibly via Izaro, and beyond to Valencia but also that the whole right hand side of the harbour might be turned at a right angle and placed against the back wall with the buildings on the right and the slipway on the left or even vice versa.

No new pics today but will be asking opinions soon. Old pics here.....

20190616_181346 (1) by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190616_181027 (1) by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Wall and more quay on the right, just enough gap for fishing boats between the back quay and station quay.

Will explain better tomorrow with a new pic.

Sorry for all the undecidedness but need to get the back right first as it's a bit of a lean over to work on and knowing me I'll crush the station.

Speak again soon.

Cheers weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:33:01 PM by weave »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2019, 09:12:11 PM »
Thanks for the updates, Chris (Weave). I really like the new layout.

I'm waiting for some info. from Keith about the Honorary Consul for Sonmel.

I'm presuming the train ferry will after its departure from Regleun, first, call at West Porthsea Quay before continuing on to Sonmel without Sylvia and Eli?

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2019, 09:55:15 PM »
Hi Chris (IP),

Basically yes. Probably best to keep it simple. Eli and Sylvia can travel on to Penmayne (or wherever you want) with the Touropa coach, Christian can go on to Sonmel (however that happens) and, depending on what Keith wants to do, he can mention him or not, and Sofia and Catala could join Christian or just come back to Izaro.

I'll be concentrating more on the Sant Pau de Mar layout if posting pics in the next few weeks so do what you gotta do and I'll go with the flow. Whatever happens I'm sure Catala and Christian will meet up again for the Izaro Beer Festival towards the end of Summer.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

PS. No pics of the potential movement of buildings due to phone camera out of action but, Chris (IP), forgot that I think you wanted a pic of the height difference between the Minitrix Touropa and the Roco ones. Have only got one pic next to the Scharnow Reisen coach which is exactly the same as the Touropa....

20190617_225624 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Not great to compare and you might have said length as well but will sort over the Weekend.

Prost to all in Sonmel  :beers:  :beers:  :beers:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 09:59:06 PM by weave »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »
Thanks, Chris (Weave) for the photo. Interesting, the short Minitrix TOUROPA Couchette Car seems a bit taller. Fortunately, thanks to Brunel's generous Broad Gauge, it is still well within the loading gauge for the entire route from West Porthsea Quay to Penmayne.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2019, 03:36:49 PM »
Christian, Catala and Sofia, had only just joined Sylvia and Eli at their table, to await the waiter with their chosen drinks, when a message came over the train ferry's tannoy.

"Would Herr Christian Weber, please, come to the Purser's Office for an important message."

"Hmm, I wonder what that could be. Excuse me for a moment ladies."

Try as she might, Catala couldn't quite disguise a moue of disappointment.

After asking the approaching drinks waiter for directions, Christian strode off to the Purser's Office, after checking that he had his passport, for identification, in his jacket pocket.

"Hello. I'm Christian Weber, I understand that you have a message for me," he stated on arrival at the window like that at a station for selling tickets but clearly marked PURSER.

"Yes, sir. Passport, please."

After carefully studying the green covered document, the Purser handed over a sealed plain manilla envelope devoid of any marking.

"Please, sign here, to state that you have received the envelope."

"Thank you," replied Christian as he signed the form. Walking away, he stopped as soon as he found a private corner, then removed his penknife from an inside pocket and carefully opened the envelope.  Inside he found a covering note from the Head of the Sonmel Tourist Board bearing the STB logo, confirming an official invitation for himself and a guest whose name and passport details had to be sent by telegram before departure from West Porthsea Quay, two return 1st Class tickets plus "Pullman" upgrade on Sonmel, a business visa made out with his name and personal details and a blank tourist visa stamped with "accompanying business visa no." with the other visa's number, both valid for 28 days from that day's date, the schedule for the train ferry from West Porthsea Quay to Sonmel, and return, with connecting trains, and a slim leaflet titled "Important Advice for Visitors to the Island of Sonmel, Please Read and Take Note".

After carefully replacing all the documents, Christian approached the four inquisitive young ladies.

Before sitting next to Catala, Christian said: "Ladies, would you excuse me a moment, I need to have a private word with . . . Catala." Catala blushed very prettily and quickly rose to follow Christian to a quiet corner of the bar.

"Whatever is THAT all about", wondered Sofia more than a little put out that the very handsome young German businessman had already decided to concentrate his attentions on her friend who, in her opinion, while undoubtedly beautiful, was not as attractive as herself.

"Did you see that envelope that Christian had under his arm, Eli?" asked Sylvia leaning towards her friend seated beside her.

"Yes, indeed, it looks just like the one . . . " Eli suddenly stopped remembering that Sofia had not been told about the "Chelsea Girls" spring visit to Sonmel as she had not been included in the Honorary Consul's invitation list.

"Just like the one, which, Eli?" asked Sofia.

"Oh, nothing really. Like the enevelope, our travel agent sends our travel documents in," quickly responded Sylvia.

"You know, when we're travelling abroad," added her friend.

"As we do," stated Sylvia. "As you know."

"I see," replied Sofia, clearly not completely convinced.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 03:40:12 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2019, 11:59:01 PM »
 :hellosign: Looking forward to seeing more on the harbour developments Chris (Weave), take your time till your 100% happy.
     Thanks Chris (IP) for the continuing story, I feel a cunning twist to the tale shortly  ;)
      regards Derek.   :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
Thanks, Derek. Yes, indeed. It is the red-gold metal called in Ancient Greek, orichalcum, which in Rockall is known as evragar, which enables travel between such discontinuities in space and time, as is about to be explained by Sylvia 8-).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:24:42 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2019, 11:18:57 AM »
Whilst Christian was talking quietly but very earnestly to an increasingly visibly surprised Catala, Sofia rose and, as flamboyantly as she knew, flounced off past them to the direction of the facilities signed 'Ladies'.

"Well, well," smiled Eli. Our friend, Sofia, seems rather put out, does she not!"

"Oh, she'll get over it, Eli. It's her Latin temperament. She was never as entranced as Catala so clearly is with Herr Weber, she just doesn't like to be ignored!"

"No, that's for sure!" laughed the pretty young Breton. "Anyway, now we are alone, tell me what Susan learnt from the TARDIS about the islands of Sonmel and Rockall, please."

"Well, there is very little, surprisingly, in the TARDIS databanks about Sonmel that we weren't told by our local guide during our visit. After being wrapped in the utmost obscurity, following our trip with our friends, and the seminar you and I gave on tourism marketing, the newly founded Sonmel Tourist Board is planning a German beer festival and that explains Herr Weber's presence and all those German brewery vans we saw being loaded below deck."

"Yes, yes, I understand that, Sylvia, but why are he and the ferry vans being routed via West Porthsea Quay and not directly from the Continent?"

"A good question. All I know is that the newly opened Rockall train ferry service runs from our side of the Narrow Sea and not the Continental mainland. We would have to ask the Sonmel authorities about that."

"Maybe, Sylvia, the situation of Sonmel is like the Channel Islands, which although they are off the French coast of Normandy -- which was once part of Britanny until those French-speaking Vikings seized it -- are two British Crown dependencies yet not part of the United Kingdom: the Bailiwick of Jersey being the larger and the Bailiwick of Guernsey."

"That's possible, Eli. I hadn't thought of that. Sonmel certainly is self-governing with its own Customs and Immigration controls."

"Anyway, tell me what you learnt from Susan about Rockall and the connection with Sonmel."

"Well, the connection is the red-gold metal called in Ancient Greek, orichalcum, which in Rockall is known as evragar, which enables travel between such discontinuities in space and time as surround both Sonmel and Rockall. Every form of transport, in this case, the train ferry, must have sufficient orichalcum on board to safely travel to and fro along with all that it is transporting including people and animals as well as inanimate objects. By tradition, as we saw when the train ferry captain invited us to the wheelhouse, the ship's steering wheel is inlaid with a single circular piece of refined orichalcum symbolising the unbroken circle of arrivals and departures. You may also have noticed the unbroken circle of red-gold braid around the peak and the sides and back of the captain's cap."

"Yes, I did. I also noticed the coat of arms of Sonmel above it. Anyway, please, continue, the others will be back soon!"

"Well, you remember that large quarry at Sonmel?"

"Yes, yes."

"Well, according to Susan, the TARDIS database state that orichalcum was once mined there, too, but the vein was exhausted in Phoenician times. The rock formation containing that ore is similar to that found in the North Atlantic basin, including Rockall where the Doctor is now investigating whether there is still evragar there and, if so, if it is shielded from discovery by the Daleks."

Eli shuddered. "Very wise! I don't want to have to go through THAT ever again! I see Christian and Catala are still in heated conversation and Sofia is, probably, taking some sea air to calm down! So, Rockall . . . !"

"As well as I can remember it, its chronicler, Anthony Swithin, records its history thus: Long ago, Rockall, located in the North Atlantic basin, was but the northern part, the mountainous part, of a great empire. A great and rich empire that was rich in gold and copper and the lost red gold metal which, as I mentioned, the Rockalese call evragar; we know it as 'orichalcum' from the ancient writings of Greece. The peoples of that empire built great cities, fine roads to speed their armies, and temples with stepped sides, dedicated to the sun they worshipped. The ancestor's of today's Rockalese people lived in the mountains north of that realm. They were conquered by this empire, but never wholly subdued; they paid tribute reluctantly and supplied victims unwillingly to the empire's temples. For they were very evil, those people of that empire. Their many slaves groaned under their rule and the stink of their sacrifices rose to offend the Heavens. In the end, there came retribution. Great earthquakes threw down their temples. The waters of the oceans rose and overwhelmed their land, drowning fields, mines and cities. Only the high land of Rockall remained and a few lesser hills to the southward, left now as islands."

"When was this?" Sylvia?"

"Oh, long ago. Three thousand years ago, perhaps. Ah, here comes Christian and Catala and they are both smiling."

"That's good," winked Eli.

"And I can see Catala approaching, too!"

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »
Thank you Chris (IP) for the story,

Had to work a long day today because of the good weather (curse of the self employed) so still no pics of the possible harbour building's new position.

Your story about Rockall is intriguing although slightly different from the story/legend I heard from my Irish gran about Fionn mac Cumhaill (Finn Mac Cool), Rockall, the Isle of Man and Lough Neagh etc. but please continue.

Hopefully some pics tomorrow,

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:05:10 PM by weave »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2019, 10:20:15 AM »
No problem, Chris (Weave). Thanks for the comments. Rockall is taken from the series of four books, "The Perilous Quest For Lyonesse" written by the late Antony Swithin (who I mentioned as the chronicler recorded in the TARDIS databanks). I don't want to divert the storyline to Rockall but the link with orichalcum and a mysterious island was too good to resist. Rockall and orichalcum also gets the Doctor out of the story. I also wanted Catala to be able to accompany Christian to Sonmel and pass that story on to Keith and you. Sofia will then accompany Sylvia and Eli, by train from West Porthsea Quay back to Trevelver Castle via Truro, Newquay, Wadebridge, and Cant Cove, to get ready for the Summer train timetable. Before that, though, Sylvia and Eli will take Sofia to stay in Chelsea where they will meet up with the rest of the "Chelsea Girls" including Susan then go to one of the new discotheques featuring a young DJ, James Hamilton, at "Esmereldaís Barn", a nightclub in Londonís Knightsbridge, infamously owned by the Kray Twins, where Sylvia and Eli will spot someone all too familiar. Also, in London, the "Girls" can meet up with other Continental, American and Canadian young women known to them . . . (which I'll leave to you to describe how they all end up, in London, at a Youth Hostel). That sighting in the nightclub will lead Sylvia and Eli to visit Scotland Yard and meet with another familiar character who has been contacted, quite separately, about a certain prize racehorse but, that case soon becomes far more complex . . . Inbetween, I plan to tie up various loose threads from October 1962.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:43:28 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here