!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ideas needed for expansion  (Read 151 times)

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Ideas needed for expansion
« on: February 12, 2019, 03:38:29 AM »
Hello.
Please bear with me I haven't been here much for the last year but all will become clear. Just under 2 yrs back I started to build my second layout and this is the plan I came up with

The base board size is 2.8m X 700mm or about 10í  X 2í4Ē in old money. I have laid the track and points for the main loops and the top long sidings and the siding on the far right which was to go to a cassette fiddle yard. None of the track inside the loops has been laid yet apart from the points leading into the middle. That was as far as I got then I moved from my flat last April to a bungalow which has needed some serious renovation and a fair amount of money to bring it up to scratch hence the reason for not being on this wonderful forum. I am now in a position to build a small train shed 10 feet X 8 feet (that is the maximum I can get without getting some serious hard landscaping done) That will give me some extra room for expansion to where the cassette fiddle yard was to be. I thought that having extra room would be great but now  Iím going totally insane trying to work out what's best to do.
Option one. Stick with my original plan.
Option two. Dismantle what I have already built (Track, Wiring, Servo motors, And Quite a few hours programming Arduino) And start again from scratch.
Option three. Use the extra room and make some sort of fiddle yard or even use it to extend the scenic part.
Option four. Bin the lot and start again in OO gauge or some other gauge. :hmmm:

Itís option three I need some Ideas for. Here is a plan I made earlier just to get some idea of the extra room I will have.

Ignore the track that I have put in that was just to get the size visualized in my head. I have got the track and points etc to finish the original plan but nothing yet to extend the right hand side so itís open to suggestions. What would you do with the extra space? Would you rip it up and start again? Give up and go to OO  :no:
If I do keep the original part I will be extending the front by about four inches just to add extra scenery. Anyroad give me some ideas please. I can upload the Scarm files if anyone fancies a go at them.

:confused2: John

Online Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Ideas needed for expansion
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 05:14:30 AM »
John, I'd be going for option 3, but dispensing with almost all the extra turnouts on the extension board. This section could be a rail line running through scenery with a spur to a small industry perhaps. But then, my preference in model railroading is trains running through scenery so I'm biased that way.

Webbo

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 05:51:40 AM »
Definitely not option 3.  :sick: Wash your mouth out!

I'm with Webbo. There is plenty of operating potential on the original board. Give yourself some pretty scenery in the extra section, sit back and enjoy the trains running through it.

If you did want an industry, a siding or two to perhaps a dairy or distillery or something (depending on location) would be sufficient.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:54 AM »
I think George means "definitely not Option 4" and maybe the anaesthetic has reached his brain cell.

I tend to agree with Webbo, also, and would plump for a purely scenic section with no points to worry about. I can't remember what era you intend to run but I would even suggest a small DMU/EMU running up into a hillside village station on a shuttle system like the Heathcote one

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »
Ooops! Yes, option 4.  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »
I agree with the above. A simple track into some scenery - a slight incline, over a river bridge by the campsite ................ sorry, getting carried away with your space.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  :thumbsup:
After posting my questions I was thinking what if I just keep it simple and have just a single branch line coming from the far right siding which is already on the main base board and low and behold look at your replies :thankyousign:. I could run this to a small single platform station long enough to take three coaches and a run around loop so that I could use steam as well as a DMU or autocoach. It seems like most of you would use the extra space for scenic purposes and as suggested I have enough to play with shunting etc on the main board to keep me happy. I have considered some sort of industry but I canít think of anything without cramming too much onto the available space so I think I will probably keep it quite rural maybe incorporate some kind of water like a canal or small river as sugested. Iím still a novice at this and know very little about prototypical operations so any suggestions will be welcome. As for era and location I suppose that will be determined by the stock I already have which is mainly GWR locos and rolling stock. Class 20, 22, 35, 42, 52, Hall, Manors, 4500, 3800, 5700, and a few others not GWR. The locos highlighted will be staying but the others could be exchanged for something more appropriate if needed. I imagine that the 5700 and 4500 would be the best choice for the branch for now as I doubt any of the others would ever be seen on such a branch line. Anyway please keep the suggestions coming.
BTW I was only joking about changing scales  :NGaugersRule:

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 06:12:02 PM »

BTW I was only joking about changing scales  :NGaugersRule:

Good job you said that when you did! The 'powers that be' were just about to have a meeting regarding your expulsion from the forum.  :sweat:  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £250.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £175.00
Below Goal: £75.00
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything