!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My first built from scratch 'scratch build'  (Read 309 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
My first built from scratch 'scratch build'
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:59:27 PM »
Thinking about the Royal Mail depot on my layout 'Averingcliffe', I decided that if there was a bit of a platform between the two lines serving the depot, it would make it easier to load/unload the carriages. So, I set to work with some 2mm white board, Plastruct thin strip, superglue and Rocket card glue. 3mm LEDs and 0.5mm fibre optic cable were used, as I decided to put lights round the edges of the platform for safety's sake, along with some security fencing.

The start -

and

This picture shows the three LED's underneath the platform, along with some of the fibre optic cable -

I painted the top of the platform with three coats of 'Earth Brown Undercoat', using a fine brush and, hopefully, have a reasonable simulation of a wood decking type of finish -

This picture shows part of the platform with the LED's illuminated. The wide bit at the left hand end is so that vehicles can reverse up to that part, hence the two red lights. -

This final picture shows some of the safety rail in place. Unfortunately, the contractors are awaiting a delivery, so the safety rail fitting can not be completed just yet.  When everything is finished, the platform will be placed on 'Averingcliffe' and I will update that thread.

As has been said the camera can be very cruel when taking close ups, but, apart from the 'snagging' stage, I am quite pleased with my first effort at scratch building.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Red & white Trafalgar Square
    • Awards
Re: My first built from scratch 'scratch build'
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 11:25:44 PM »
That is uber cool, David. You can be very proud of that!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:48:50 PM »
Nice work there David. :thumbsup:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:12:32 AM »
Neat. Me likee :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £60.00