!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: cattledock  (Read 236 times)

Offline doolish

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
cattledock
« on: February 11, 2019, 03:53:45 PM »
Hi stupid question but which side of the G :worried:raham Farish cattle dock goes rail side ?

Offline chrism

• Awards
Re: cattledock
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 04:09:04 PM »
Assuming that you mean this one;
https://www.hattons.co.uk/23689/Graham_Farish_42_003_Cattle_Dock/StockDetail.aspx

I would have said the long side which doesn't have the steps extending from it so that the fence is too close to a wagon for the cattle to do anything other than cross directly between the stockade and the wagon.

Although quite how they expect poor Daisy and Buttercup to get on to or off of the dock other than to/from a wagon is beyond me  ;)

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 04:29:28 PM »
The side with the steps goes against the tracks. The Farish model is a little "feature-light" shall we say. If you look at the Ratio or the Peco version, you'll see there's a ramp leading up to the dock that the cattle are driven up into the pens before loading. Here's a pic of the Peco kit:

I have the Ratio version on my layout:

Hope that helps!

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:59:19 AM »
Steps go to the rail side; the two gates are opened across the walkway and then the lower part of the door makes a ramp for the livestock to cross the gap.
Presumably on the Farish model the gates on the other side are for the livestock to be transferred from a lorry, but it would have to have a high floor.
This is the Ratio kit as standard at Aberayron.

And this is what an adapted kit for Pencader looked like when my daughter became confused by the Hattons website and bought some hormone-fed beasts.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 09:35:33 AM »
The remains of a Ratio cattle dock at Castle Eden... restoration required!

I think the Ratio cattle dock is a great kit, although they're all great, I reckon. I did manage to superglue the etched brass railings to my fingers during construction!

Talking of railings, as you can see, restoration required! The cattle must be quite happy there, though... they haven't done a runner!

They are superglued in, though....  ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:36:36 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations