!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Static grass lengths  (Read 211 times)

Offline texhorse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Static grass lengths
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:18:43 PM »
I'm sorry if my question has been covered elsewhere, but I wanted to ask if anyone thought that 4mm and 6mm static grass fibres look too long on their layouts on things like grass embankments or fields?

I used 2mm and the static grass effect wasn't too effective for me.  When it had dried, I tried a slightly different colour with 4mm static grass, and that looked ok.  Then I think I ruined the whole thing with 6mm static grass.

Before I scrape off the whole lot and try again, does anyone agree that 4mm and 6mm are too long, or maybe just 6mm too long?

I know it's my layout and what I say goes, but I wondered if anyone else had their opinion.

Thanks guys

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Static grass lengths
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 08:26:30 PM »
I use largely 2mm static grass with some 1mm areas (eg lawns or clse cropped fields). I have used 4mm sparingly for rough ground but 6mm  only in very small areas next to walls or in wild areas.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 08:38:26 PM »
Hi Andy,

I think 4mm looks fine on embankments. :thumbsup:

There are two embankments on my little layout, and I have used 4mm on both, with various scatters, and bits of clump foliage added.

mine came from Martyn at WWS

https://www.war-world.co.uk/index.php/grass-4mm_detailing_static_grass/?k=33622:12:::39

I will try and get some photos of the embankments for you tomorrow, and check what colours I used.

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:34:20 AM »
I'd like to see photos Kevin.  I think sometimes as well, that grass can look "too green", and so I'd use different shades.  Is that what you did?

Andy
UK

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »
I've used 1 and 2mm on Tiree, the sheep do keep the grass short. However I have tried 6mm or longer in ditches to simulate rushes and reeds

Oh I mix spring green and summer green in varying amounts to get some variation on colour..
Even then some colour washes over the top have been used..
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:43:28 AM by The Q »

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 01:44:41 PM »
Do you mean colour washes as in green, grey or brown inks?  That's a good idea which I hadn't thought of previously.

Andy
UK

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 05:54:26 PM »
Hi Andy,

Here are some pics of the little embankments on my layout  :thumbsup:

After I painted the white plaster, I gave them a base coat of 2mm grass, in Autumn Mix, and Spring (WWS colours) not evenly mixed together, but in patches

Once that was dried, I scraped some off and sprinkled fine sand on those areas, and then added some 4mm Muddy Grass, and Dead grass (again WWS colours)

I added the longer grass on the main embankment, leaving the 2mm at the bottom, and in areas where in reality it would be easy to keep the grass trimmed. I used a stiff paintbrush to jiggle the grass around so it was not all growing in the same direction.

Then all the other bits and pieces were added. The clump foliage is Woodland Scenics Burnt Grass and Medium Green, and the scatter was a little bit of everything 'till it looked right  :D

This is the embankment on the other side of the layout. First an overall view ....

And here are close ups of the ends ....

Hope this helps,

All best wishes
Kevin

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 06:21:37 PM »
That is really nice work Kevin.  You and the other guys have encouraged me to persevere and have another go.  I do think I need to scrape off what I already put down though and try again!

Andy
UK

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 06:37:36 PM »
When I first started to use static grass, I gave it a try on an old piece of plywood.
Might be worth having a practise with various lengths and colours of grass brfore you go live again.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »
Must admit until recently I've not really been a big fan of static grass, preferring to use the foam granule type of material (Woodland Scenics etc.)  I've traditionally totally soaked my "grass" in dilute PVA to create good solid scenery on the front edge of my layout capable of withstanding little fingers at exhibitions!

A few months ago I decided to update some of the scenery with a bit more texture. Here's one part, now using a combination of the foam granules with various lengths and shades of static grass.  This was taken before adding fences, hedges, trees etc. On the right under the trees the "grass" is still the original texture from 2006.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 07:14:25 PM »
Hi Andy,

Glad the pics were useful to you  :thumbsup:

I was just going to say the same as Martin  ;)

With a spray of water, and a wait for it to soak in, the PVA soon softens to let you scrape the static grass off .... I know from my first messed up attempts  :-[ :-[

Then I tried with all sorts of lengths and colours on scrap board to get the hang of it  ;)

On another off topic note, I love your layout  :D

I don't know if you saw this from ages ago, but your tramps camp inspired me to make this little cameo (post about half way down the page, and you credited with thanks  :thumbsup:)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39207.135

All best wishes
Kevin

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 08:08:13 AM »
Thanks Kevin!

I'm glad my hobos have inspired you to add the scene to your layout as well!  I just looked at your photos on your layout.  Those guys need to watch out for trains coming round that bend!

I decided my own layout's scenery needs updating as it's mainly just traditional flock powders and lichen right now.  These newfangled tufts and static grass are taking some getting used to!!!

Andy
UK

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £250.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £175.00
Below Goal: £75.00
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
February Donations

Advertise Here