!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Langley S15 Build  (Read 391 times)

Offline SouthernJohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26859
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Langley S15 Build
« on: February 10, 2019, 05:21:01 PM »
Its been a while since I posted here, over the last few months I have been busy constructing my new layout. With that coming together nicely I have decided to turn my head towards some loco construction. Being a fan of the Southern, and modelling the BR Southern Region, I felt an S15 would be a welcome addition to my rosta.

I have had a Langley S15 in my posession for some time, the tender pinched to drive a Union Mills T9 Greyhound (a project still not complete!). That has left me with a loco body and a leftover chassis to play with. With some free time available, I have made a good start on the S15.

The kit needed plenty of work to fit together, all part of the fun. Lots of filing, cutting and trimming to make it all fit. I was delighted seeing all the bits coming together, well worth all the effort.

So here she is, screwed onto her chassis, having just been tested to make sure she rolls smoothly around my layout.

The instructions state to glue the body down, but a nice little hole has been drilled into the chassis to hold the body down with a screw. The screw and hole are nicely hidden by the position of the front bogie.

She runs very smoothly indeed, however she does short circuit the track, so some work is needed to adjust the pickups. I may even replace them entirely with new ones as the old ones are very badly mishapen. The old chassis was in a poor state when I picked it up, a bargain at 40, but with good reason! There was a bit of corrosion and rust in places which has had to be dealt with, fortunately most of it has been removed.

So a good start in my opinion, I am certainly happy with her progress. Now I need to make a decision on a tender. She will be numbered either 30506 or 30510, but whether she has her pre-1956 tender back off of the T9 or a new tender for 1956 is still in the works. Anyway, plenty to think about. I hope to get some more photos as progress is made  :D

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
Re: Langley S15 Build
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:39:54 PM »
Its looking good, I love loco building even with all the frustrations that seem to go along the way :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 05:49:19 PM »
What loco chassis are you using please?

Offline SouthernJohn

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 05:54:43 PM »
Its certainly something I have been needing to get my teeth into for some time, finally got 5 minutes to myself to do something  :claphappy:

Its an old Fleishmann 7161 chassis, I believe one of the older releases based on the size of the flanges, particularly on the leading bogie which are verging on pizza cutters.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:09:39 PM »
The Watercart tender from the Langley kit is only correct for S15s 504-510 between 1935 and 1954; your best bet I would suggest is the BHE Urie N15 tender kit, with a bit of fiddling you can power it with a Union Mills drive plus and extra pair of wheels, most awkward part is finding suitable bogie side frames and fitting them. Images below are of a hacked BHE N15 using a Peco Jubilee chassis but the tender mods are the same as would be for an S15 (or H15)

Cut away part of the BHE tender base as shown below.

Worsley Works used to do the etched Urie bogey side frames, not sure if he still does them. Cast axle boxes also BHE.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:11:35 PM by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline SouthernJohn

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 01:11:49 AM »
Thats excellent Mike, thankyou very much. I have followed a number of your projects for advice and ideas, very good stuff!

I have winged BHE a message and I will order a Urie Tender for my S15. I think Iwill give the H15 a bash too, I can see plenty of potential for both locos on my
Layout.

Need to get that T9 going too, so much to do!

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 10:36:35 AM »
The H15 will require a chassis wiith 6' drivers, I have used a Minitrix one in the past but they are a bit rare used and also expensive, probably something suitable among the LNER 4-6-0s.

Bothe Langley S15 and BHE N15 can be hacked to the Maunsell versions by attacking the cab roof and the footplate over the cylinders.

Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 11:08:42 AM »
I note you're modelling BR period, in which case the S15 chimney from the Langley kit is incorrect it should be same as the U1 class moguls, N brass do a lot of brass chimneys it should be possible to find something fairly close, compare U1 photos with the NBrass range
http://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/fitall.html#CHIMNEY
or maybe email Nick and see what he suggests.

Cheers MIKE

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything