!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A DCC layout & electrofrog points: do I HAVE TO have polarity switching?  (Read 458 times)

Offline Ricky B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26895
    • Awards
Re: A DCC layout & electrofrog points: do I HAVE TO have polarity switching?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 07:40:38 PM »
Yes, I understand that ntp....when I do get round to trying them (the PM1s) out, I plan to put a spacer below the board to put distance between the motor and tie bar as you say.

There are many point motors and all seem to have their advocates and detractors.

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

A bit of advice: can I ask you to take a look at my track plan? - it's all shown without overbridges etc - just the track. I'm going to use cassettes at either end.

The insulated joiners are after the two frog rails of each turnout and the track feeds from bus wires shown in green and red. I've since realised that the feed from power bus 1 (green) towards the centre just to left of the platform end is unnecessary though won't do any harm.

Can someone assure me I've positioned my feeds correctly? Thanks. :thankyousign:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »
Can someone assure me I've positioned my feeds correctly? Thanks. :thankyousign:

Looks about right, except you're missing red feeds to the top siding and the 2nd from bottom siding?

Many folk would probably also suggest additional redundant feeds just to avoid problems with bad rail joints.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 12:58:27 PM »
I've since realised that the feed from power bus 1 (green) towards the centre just to left of the platform end is unnecessary though won't do any harm.

I'd suggest small alterations to the track plan which will give longer sidings and a better flow into them with smoother running (ignore me using set track as it was just for speed/convenience)

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »
Cheers Nobby and NTP- very interesting. Just an acknowledgement but will respond more fully later. :thumbsup:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 01:24:20 PM »
I'd suggest small alterations to the track plan which will give longer sidings and a better flow into them with smoother running (ignore me using set track as it was just for speed/convenience)

@Ricky B  Yep, change the siding points from right to left hand to avoid dog-legs
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 04:31:52 PM »
Yes, a fair point Ntp and Nobby. I didn't really intend it to appear as an actual plan of points - really just drawn up for the relationship between IRJs and feeds. But the use of left/hands within the sidings is a very good call.

I'm even considering breaking cover and showing this little layout's development on here...previously (as I've hinted at) I have a limited amount of time to devote to modelling but I might even show and tell on this excellent forum despite the possibility of sporadic updates.

As a taster, this is partially inspired by the erstwhile Castleford to Garforth branch which in my world, has still retained a passenger service in the early 90s and has a small Pacer maintenance depot built on former colliery sidings land (similar to the one at Sheffield). The longer sidings at bottom of plan are former exchange sidings for the closed colliery which will give operational interest in my 1990s world.

Thanks for the rapid response gents.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »
@Ricky B
Whilst it looks good to see trains snaking their way through point formations, sadly in the modelling world (and sometimes the prototype) this can cause poor running and odd times a derailment so I always advocate the line of least resistance and has the added benefit of giving longer sidings/loops.

I, for one, would be interested to hear/see more about your layout and am positive any updates would not be more sporadic than mine own! :no: :-[

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything