!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: PAB Petroleum Coke wagons  (Read 331 times)

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
PAB Petroleum Coke wagons
« on: February 05, 2019, 01:56:12 PM »
Digging around for train to model that ran around Greater Manchester and the surounding counties I discovered the 17 PAB hoppers that ran from Immingham to Anglesey from 1971 to 2001. They carried petroleum coke to the Rio Tinto aluminium smelter for use as electrodes.

Numbered 12100-16, all seventeen wagons ran at least once a week as a block train.

They're a nice blocky design and are well suited to being built "flat-pack" style - i.e. cut from plasticard.

Hopefully this thread will keep me motivated to get them built! Time will tell.

Progress so far:
Found drawings on RMWeb and in the 1:1 archives on the Barrowmore Model Railway Group's website.

Using the dimensioned drawings I've used Inkscape to create a CAD drawing of the various flat sheets needed to build the hopper.

Offline Steven B

• Awards
Re: PAB Petroleum Coke wagons
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
With the basic CAD done, I wanted to test my maths/geometry/drawing abilities so printed out the drawing larger than 1:148 and glued the print out to card from a cereal packet. Building this (quickly stuck together with sticky-tape) highlighted areas where I'd made mistakes.

As I made changes the scale of the print out was reduced to 1:148; This looks the part - next job is to try a build using plasticard. Hopefully I'll be able to use the CAD artwork to make cutting the parts easier & more accurate.

A first attempt at a chassis will be scratch built from plasticard and parts from the 2mm Scale Association.

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »
With the basic CAD done, I wanted to test my maths/geometry/drawing abilities so printed out the drawing larger than 1:148 and glued the print out to card from a cereal packet. Building this (quickly stuck together with sticky-tape) highlighted areas where I'd made mistakes.

As I made changes the scale of the print out was reduced to 1:148; This looks the part - next job is to try a build using plasticard. Hopefully I'll be able to use the CAD artwork to make cutting the parts easier & more accurate.

A first attempt at a chassis will be scratch built from plasticard and parts from the 2mm Scale Association.

Hi

This is something on my todo list as well as they ran via Woodhead. I got as far as making a master for the body. The plan was to resin cast the body and design an etch for the chassis and walkways.

There are some very good drawings in
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Wagon-Plans-John-Fox/dp/0711038430

There is also a set of photos taken by Dave Skipsey (Beast66606) uploaded to RMWeb by me with permission when the gallery comes back.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline MarshLane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 5440
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 08:53:24 AM »
Hi Paul/Steven,
This is a future aspiration for me too. Would appreciate a link to the gallery you mentioned if you could.

Steven, keep us updated with your progress.

Rich

Offline Steven B

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 09:02:06 AM »
The photos are in a RMWeb Gallery; You need to be a RMWeb registered user to see them as large images; However, if you enter the following into Google you can see most of them:
PAB coke hoppers site:www.rmweb.co.uk

Progress on mine has slowed - family life being more important for the last couple of weeks. I'm now 90% happy with my CAD and need to do a test build in plasticard instead of cereal packet. I've got the parts I need to make a test chassis and have plans for several jigs to help with the batch build.

Steven

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything