!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Please help me signal my layout  (Read 747 times)

Offline LAandNQFan

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Please help me signal my layout
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 11:38:32 PM »
Don't knock yourself out over accuracy - remember that we are modelling.  The art is in giving yourself something which looks convincing, is plausible, and is fun to operate.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline Lankyman

• N Gauge Society Number: 22227
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 09:44:17 PM »
Please don't take my comments the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with your layout, i have seen many such in real life. I was just highlighting the problem that the level crossing gives and which, in real life, would have to be considered. You don't have to have a signal immediately on each side of the crossing, these days it would have to be at least 200 yards if it was a colour-light anyway. The platform starter could serve this purpose and, in the opposite direction the protecting signal could be off scene which is what you have depicted. All this means is that every shunt into and out of the yard must have the crossing gates/barriers closed to road traffic. If you intend to do a lot of shunting then that means the road will be closed for long periods so it becomes a road traffic bottleneck. If you think about, for a through train the gates will be closed from the moment the signal is cleared for the train to depart from the platform to it clearing the crossing. In the other direction the gates will be closed from a time before the train reaches the distant signal. wherever that is, until it clears the crossing. This is not a high speed route so trains will be travelling relatively slowly. For a shunt move the gates will be closed from the time a signal is cleared to depart from the yard until the movement returns clear of the crossing.

Unless you are going to model a working level crossing none of this matters because the gates will probably be closed to the road perpetually anyway so Rule 1 applies. Forget about historical accuracy and do it your way and you will find that your trains work fine. Alternatively do what I do with my layout and ignore the signals because I have made my layout too complicated. I can signal it in either colour lights or semaphores but is it simply too complicated and nobody makes the configuration of signals that I would need. In my head I know where the signal would be, what they would look like and how they would function. Remember that in real life many signals are bespoke and the design is a one-off so if you want to model it you will have to scratchbuild it. My previous comments were only made to illustrate the fact that, as you have a level crossing in your design, you will need to take into account of its type and how it works. Every level crossing has its own legal order produced by the Department of Transport which stipulates what type of crossing it is and whether the crossing is normally open for road traffic and closed to rail or vice-versa. It will also stipulate how and when the crossing can be used.

Don't let the detail bog you down, just get on with building your own railway and make your own rules.

Ron
Ron

Offline mickster04

• N Gauge Society Number: 26540
  • The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 10:46:14 PM »
Wow. Gotta love this forum. Such a wealth of knowledge! Yeah, I'm dropping the crossing as it would require sacrificing a lot of proximity to protototype. I don't need my. Layout 100%, but I do want it vaguely. Feasible at least, and a level crossing would push that envelope too far I think. Thanks!

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 12:38:19 AM »
Great thread and comments everyone and I've learnt something about signalling. Just in passing if you've not seen it, I can recommend: https://signalbox.org/ for historic data and a concise summary of signalling practice.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here