!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Yet another bug zapper grass aplicator - not working!  (Read 336 times)

Offline RicardoFig

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Yet another bug zapper grass aplicator - not working!
« on: February 02, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »
Not being a fan of the Noch grass applicator price (  :worried: :worried: ), i have decided to go into building a bug zapper costum aplicator.

Since my first one worked for the first session, and i can't get any result with my second one, i have a couple of basic questions that may have some effect on the final results:

1) Should i connect the positive or the negative wire to the net? Does this have any effect ?

2) After the grass is applied, there is still some static charge on. For not getting a undesired shock when touching the contacts on storage, should i touch the two contacts together before getting the applicator apart?

Thank you

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Yet another bug zapper grass aplicator - not working!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »
When I built mine it didn't seem to matter which side was positively charged, it's all about having a large potential difference between the net and the ground.   Try it either way round, and see if one way works better for you than the other?

The residual charge will disperse, but if you deliberately discharge when finished using the applicator it avoids any surprises!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:15:16 PM »
My homemade one goes though batteries at a terrific rate and works much better with good quality batteries.

Offline sjgarth

• N Gauge Society Number: 28391
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 06:05:03 PM »
Going off at a slight tangent, is there any reason I cannot use a 12v dc power supply instead of batteries? Would it be too much?
Yours

Steve

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 06:29:40 PM »
Going off at a slight tangent, is there any reason I cannot use a 12v dc power supply instead of batteries? Would it be too much?
How many batteries does it take now - what voltage?  6V?  Doubling that would probably risk damaging the High voltage generator components, might also make it dangerous.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 06:41:31 PM »
When I built mine it didn't seem to matter which side was positively charged, it's all about having a large potential difference between the net and the ground.   Try it either way round, and see if one way works better for you than the other?

Did that just now, and no effect at all.  :hmmm: :thumbsdown:

All the tutorials make it look so easy, i can't see where "the rabbit" is in mine aplicator.

Switched the original 2xAA for a 9v battery. I get the same result if i just use the noch bottle...  ???

My homemade one goes though batteries at a terrific rate and works much better with good quality batteries.

Started today with 8.9 (+/-) volts, after experimenting the applicador for 30 minutes the multimeter has only read 8.2.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:42:38 PM by RicardoFig »

Offline sjgarth

• N Gauge Society Number: 28391
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 06:42:53 PM »
I thought they were powered by 9volts, but your point is well made, I need to find a power supply that matches that required.
Yours

Steve

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations