!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Aldersgate Street & Ludgate Junction  (Read 2742 times)

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
Re: Aldersgate Street & Ludgate Junction
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

It,s certainly an ambitious project. Looking forward to seeing it develop as the roof looks awesome and the stock is varied, interesting and will present challenges. Like you, I am intrigued with disused lines etc, and will be interested to see you replicate the inner city atmosphere. Good Luck with the project.

Stu in OMDM

PS..I may need to tap you up for some more Hydraulic Buffers too...
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Offline Jimmy77

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 03:03:41 PM »
Thanks Stu,

Yes it will be a challenge for sure, but I'm up for giving it a go! Once I've finished doing the baseboard supports then I'll focus on trying to get a track plan finalised, as at the moment its mostly in my head.

I'm looking forward to getting started on the terminus station, its hopefully going to be one of the focal points of the layout. The roof section I had put together was a collection of old test pieces, since then I have reworked the design slightly:

The columns are printed resin, and the arch structures are made from foamed pvc, very lightweight & strong, and most importantly can be purchased for about 12 for a 2.4m x 1.2m sheet! The roof covering I'm thinking of using walnut strip (0.5mm x 2mm) as I think it would be easier to manage the more complicated parts of the roof.

Once I've got my workbenches cleared and organised in the workshop then I'll be getting back to the resin printing again, let me know what buffers you are after and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Offline DaveGlew

• N Gauge Society Number: 28385
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 05:56:12 PM »
That's a challenge and a half
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 07:53:04 PM »
@Jimmy77
York Model making do plenty of canopy brackets etc and are a great source of the unusual......
https://www.yorkmodelrail.com/n-scale/canopy-brackets-3

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »
Thanks Mick, that's a nice collection of items they have. The larger roof supports I'll make on my own, but for the smaller & more intricate detailing they could work quite nicely.

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
Hello all,

I thought I'd try to do at least one update a month, even if there isn't a huge amount of progress! I've managed to complete the storage areas for the stock boxes and the drawer units for the actual rolling stock. On top of that will be the fiddle yard, although I'm yet to put the base down for that. The next part I'm working on are some storage units for my non-railway stuff, but once thats done I'll be starting on the main layout run baseboard construction (that's the part I'm looking forward to!)

I took advantage of the Dapol specials last month (thanks to whoever it was that posted about it!)

This will be the fiddle yard area, although not that close to the edge!

Cheers,

Jimmy

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 03:58:49 PM »
That all looks very professional, neat and tidy :-[

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 06:12:09 PM »
A terrific looking room Jimmy. Extremely neat and pro work. 8) :admiration:
We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland, UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 07:09:11 PM »
Very impressed, I wonder how long it will stay that neat and tidy.    ::)

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »
Thank you  :)

As for neat and tidy... well the view the other way doesn't quite match up to that!

Still a long way to go!

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 01:34:10 PM »
I hope everyone had nice Easter break  :)

Just a small update, I'm slowly making progress, although not much railway action going on at the moment!

I've finished the fiddle yard base, although its currently occupied by aircraft rather than rolling stock. I'm planning on 12 tracks, each one long enough to take an HST and similar.

I've also cleared a space down the wall where the main layout will be located. I'm not sure what I'll do about the pillars yet, although I'm thinking a tower block or industrial building disguise.

I've also realised that the whole workshop floor is on a slight gradient. It works out at about 1 in 166. I'm not sure yet whether I'll build the base totally level, and have it lower to the floor by about 6cm at one end, or build with a gradient so it maintains the same level from the floor.

And finally, the fleet has a new addition, very nice model! When I started buying rolling stock I had an approximate year range in mind late seventies to mid eighties, however over the past few years that range has stretched out!

Cheers,

Jimmy

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 03:39:23 PM »
Wow! :goggleeyes:
Loads of space (and a nice WR Blue/Grey Pullman)
Regarding the pillars, could you find some suitable industrial/commercial building you can print out and just glue it round the pillar to create a 'low relief' building/tower block/warehouse?
I would try to keep the layout on the level or you may find any rolling stock will tend to not stay where you left it :uneasy:

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »
Great looking space and Im looking forward to seeing how the layout develops!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 12:43:35 PM »
Are you going to reproduce the moorgate lines at farringdon to the left as you look southbound from the pancras end and the beautiful views of london obtained at the south end of blackfriars?

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 04:29:38 PM »
I would try to keep the layout on the level or you may find any rolling stock will tend to not stay where you left it :uneasy:

Very valid point Mick, and one I hadn't actually thought about! Yes I think that's that decision made  :)

Great looking space and Im looking forward to seeing how the layout develops!

Thanks, I'm also looking forward to seeing how it develops  ;D nothing is finalised yet, although I've got a reasonably firm plan in my head. I have ideas about what I'd like to incorporate into the layout, its just a case of blending them all together.

Are you going to reproduce the moorgate lines at farringdon to the left as you look southbound from the pancras end and the beautiful views of london obtained at the south end of blackfriars?

I would really like to be able to do that, although I will have to see how things develop, and whether I possess the modelling ability to even manage something of that scale... I'll certainly give it a go though! I've found some good links to photos of the Moorgate lines, I'd like to recreate some of the features and the general atmosphere.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything