!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Help with Track Laying around Points  (Read 251 times)

Offline Connel Ferry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28284
    • Awards
Help with Track Laying around Points
« on: January 16, 2019, 10:01:09 PM »
When adding the sleepers that come with points under the rail joiners, I have noticed that the metal joiner is much thinner than the plastic one. This induces a slight twist at that area as a result.
Any ideas, or is it ok?
Also, all the extra sleepers are impossible to fit after the track is laid (code 55).
 Anyone got any tips for that problem?

Thanks Guys

Iain  :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:22:51 PM by Connel Ferry, Reason: add Q mark »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Help with Track Laying around Points
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 10:18:55 PM »
When adding the sleepers that come with points under the rail joiners, I have noticed that the metal joiner is much thinner than the plastic one. This induces a slight twist at that area as a result.

I must admit the insulated joiners cause more of a 'lump' than the metal ones but have just learned to live with it.

Also, all the extra sleepers are impossible to fit after the track is laid (code 55).

It may be necessary to cut them into 3 pieces to be glued down before ballasting as they can be a bit of swine to say the least!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:59:24 PM »

It may be necessary to cut them into 3 pieces to be glued down before ballasting as they can be a bit of swine to say the least!
Yes that's what I do - cut the sleepers in the troughs, spread a little PVA and glue the 3 parts into place.    It's a faff perhaps, but I prefer to lay and wire all the track and prove it's working smoothly before moving on to adding the missing sleepers, spraying the track then ballasting.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Connel Ferry

• N Gauge Society Number: 28284
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 11:55:41 PM »
Thanks to both of you.
This Track laying stuff is taking a lot longer than I figured it would. 1st time I've built a layout that wasn't all set-track  :confused1: :worried:

Once I have it laid & temp pinned, when I come to glue it down for real, would it be good practice to replace the metal joiners? They get loose very easily.
Ta.
Iain

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 07:29:22 AM »
Once I have it laid & temp pinned, when I come to glue it down for real, would it be good practice to replace the metal joiners? They get loose very easily.
They shouldn't be getting loose unless you're wiggling excessively from side to side when you disconnect pieces, but if you're concerned about a joint just give the joiner a gentle squeeze with snipe nose pliers.  Replace if bent or otherwise damaged, or if you judge them to be too loose.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Red & white Trafalgar Square
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 07:33:36 AM »
Good advice. I've even soldered a few, and even with the extreme temperature differentials my layout experiences, there's only one or two that have needed attention over the years.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline DaveGlew

• N Gauge Society Number: 28385
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »
Everything already said is great advice. This is my "go to" resource for such queries (notwithstanding the excellent advice from our colleagues of course)
https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
April Donations

Advertise Here