!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wadebridge mpd (a boxfile interpretation).  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wadebridge mpd (a boxfile interpretation).
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2019, 08:20:45 PM »
Absolutly great. It looks as if it could exist in reality. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »

Hi John
Not everyone has a love of football I know so no worries on that score (pun unntentional).
But.....to answer your question.
Iím afraid my knowldge of Plymuth Argyle is limited but this is taken from good old wikipedia...
Much speculation surrounds the origin of the name Argyle. One explanation is that the club was named after the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, an army regiment with a strong football side of its own. Another theory is given by the local geographyĖsuggesting the name comes either from the nearby public house, The Argyle Tavern, where the founder members may have met, or from a local street Argyle Terrace.
Make of it what you will.
Martin

Thank you very much for this, Martin.  Naming after the A&SH is a lovely theory but the Argyle Tavern/ Terrace is probably nearer to the mark.  Maybe it was originally a club for an area of Plymouth which then achieved prominence.  When I lived in Inverness, there were three 'Highland League' teams, each in different parts of the town (as it was, then).  Rivalry was fierce between Caledonian (Caley), Thistle and Clachnacuddin (Clach - pronounced 'Clack').  After one game the Highland News achieved the memorable headline: 'Supercaleywerefantasticthistlewereatrocious'!  Even with my combined uninterest and disinterest in the affairs of the clubs, I still remember it.

Chris, Are the 'Janners' Plymouth Argyle?  Even I know that 'Pompey' will be Portsmouth!  Is there a Royal Navy based rivalry between the clubs?

It's amazing what one learns from the Forum.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2019, 12:19:13 PM »

Hi John
Not everyone has a love of football I know so no worries on that score (pun unntentional).
But.....to answer your question.
Iím afraid my knowldge of Plymuth Argyle is limited but this is taken from good old wikipedia...
Much speculation surrounds the origin of the name Argyle. One explanation is that the club was named after the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, an army regiment with a strong football side of its own. Another theory is given by the local geographyĖsuggesting the name comes either from the nearby public house, The Argyle Tavern, where the founder members may have met, or from a local street Argyle Terrace.
Make of it what you will.
Martin

Thank you very much for this, Martin.  Naming after the A&SH is a lovely theory but the Argyle Tavern/ Terrace is probably nearer to the mark.  Maybe it was originally a club for an area of Plymouth which then achieved prominence.  When I lived in Inverness, there were three 'Highland League' teams, each in different parts of the town (as it was, then).  Rivalry was fierce between Caledonian (Caley), Thistle and Clachnacuddin (Clach - pronounced 'Clack').  After one game the Highland News achieved the memorable headline: 'Supercaleywerefantasticthistlewereatrocious'!  Even with my combined uninterest and disinterest in the affairs of the clubs, I still remember it.

Chris, Are the 'Janners' Plymouth Argyle?  Even I know that 'Pompey' will be Portsmouth!  Is there a Royal Navy based rivalry between the clubs?

It's amazing what one learns from the Forum.

All best wishes.

John
Hi John
Just to continue your football education.
Yes, Plymuth Argyle are the Janners, a long standing coloquial term for someone from SE Devon. And yes, Plymouth v Pompey is a south coast rivalry known as the Dockyard Derby.
Hope that is of some interest.
Of course, a football special from Portsmouth to Plymouth headed by an SR pacific would definitely be of interest!
And I believe the Sun quoted that same headline a few years later (with no acknowledgement to the Highland News of course) when Cally Thistle (then a Scottish 3rd tier club I believe) beat the mighty Celtic. They changed the headline to read ďSuperCally are fantastic Celtic are atrociousĒ.

Regards
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Red & white Trafalgar Square
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2019, 12:51:08 PM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Like it.  :thumbsup:

As John says, amazing what you learn on the forum  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »
I have been doing a little bit of work on the shed area today including starting to glue down the buildings and adding some gneral  clutter.
AC9B6387-D123-49F0-8926-2D31424A9D36 by martin scane, on Flickr
Iím trying to do this largely using bits and bobs I have laying around so that I donít end up buying loads of stuff. I have 3 of those lamps which are actually station platform  lamps but can I get away with using them on the shed?
AB0610AF-3329-48A4-8543-AB7CAE656D86 by martin scane, on Flickr
A wider angle. I do need to bed that water column in a lot more.
2B6FD57B-F733-4693-AE2B-202BA35176FE by martin scane, on Flickr
A three quarters view. The wheel hoist is still drying (glue and paint)but will sit roughly where the van is at the moment.
4945084E-0C85-4501-A6EB-E53C71FAE3BA by martin scane, on Flickr
A closer view. The engineman is about to grab the bag prior to watering  the prarie but Iím not quite sure he looks right. I may have to alter his stance a little maybe?
C7D209D1-746B-4AA6-B7E0-742000B845BD by martin scane, on Flickr
Finally, an over view of the two boxes. The signal box is currently under construction but I think the position is about right.
Other major jobs in the lower box include.
Correcting that slight kink in the rail just before the bridge (my mistake).
Build the bridge sides - either girder or wood. Iím undecided.
Add all the static grass and scatterand a couple of little trees.
Finish the river - Iíll be using yacht varnish.
The coffee stirrer shows where a little footbridge over the river will eventually be.
As for the signal box. Iím still undecided re flat roof or apex roof although I am leaning towards flat. Hmmmm.
Any further suggestions or ideas on anything from anyone will be appreciated. Iím open to suggestions but you will have to wait and see what Iíll be doing with both the backboard and the join area in the middle between the two boxes.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:09:57 PM by port perran »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2019, 08:36:11 PM »
Great photo's and progress Martin, that coaling stage looks great

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »
Another set of lovely photos. If the station lamps were painted black they would be OK. Just for interest and a challenge, how about a hipped roof for the signal box. You know you can build a flat roof box. :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2019, 10:11:26 PM »
Another set of lovely photos. If the station lamps were painted black they would be OK. Just for interest and a challenge, how about a hipped roof for the signal box. You know you can build a flat roof box. :)
Hmmmm. That sounds difficult. Iíll have a play with cardboard templates first I think.
I donít want it to be too tall so weíll see how it pans out.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2019, 04:03:15 PM »
Iíve added the back scene at the shed end of the two boxes today :
2FF3E6CD-D406-48AF-8742-0855EE2069A2 by martin scane, on Flickr
I think this draws the scene in a bit. However, Iíve taken the picture too quickly, that whitish bit will disappear as things dry (I hope). Iíve also placed the hoist (I think this is where it will stay) and the old carriage body which forms a little office building and a classroom for the local engine menís mutual improvement group.
Although the shed area isnít finished , Iím turning my attention to box 2. Brian, I tried a pent roof on the signal box and (thanks for the suggestion) but it made it look too high so Iíve gone with the flat roof option as here :
305F13A2-BD7C-426F-8693-91E5C00EDF8D by martin scane, on Flickr
Iíll sleep on the position but I think it does look ok.
I also have to tackle that join in the centre which, if it works, I hope to turn into a pub! Itíll be a watering hole for the engine men and shed staff on one side and have a river frontage on the other side if I can make it work!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:20:57 PM by port perran »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2019, 04:07:42 PM »
Looking superb. Well done!  :claphappy:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
Looking very realistic.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2019, 08:15:32 PM »
The backscene really adds and makes it "complete".  :thumbsup: I can understand the height problem with the signal box but  a flat roof looks too modern for me. Just my two centimos.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2019, 08:23:34 PM »
The backscene really adds and makes it "complete".  :thumbsup: I can understand the height problem with the signal box but  a flat roof looks too modern for me. Just my two centimos.
I think Iíll pretend that there was a fire in the box in 1955 which destroyed the roof. The flat roof replacement was a lot cheaper.   :D

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Red & white Trafalgar Square
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2019, 08:32:01 PM »
Really coming along brilliantly, Martin.  :thumbsup:

By the way, Mrs Bealman brought the NGS journal into the hospital for me yesterday. I'm looking forward to reading your article inbetween physioterrorist sessions today!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
  Thanks for the updates Martin, really looking superb
      regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
April Donations