!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 2 locos on one chip  (Read 259 times)

Offline TylerB

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
2 locos on one chip
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »
I have a couple of short wheelbase 4 wheel trams that struggle electrically over the pointwork because of their length. I'm considering permanently coupling them together and then converting to DCC. I'd run wires between the two units so both motors run off all the track pickups. My question is, can they be wired so just one dcc chip controls both motors, and if so is there any specific issues I should be aware of? The trams are both identical mechanisms from the same manufacturer.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: 2 locos on one chip
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:20:44 PM »
It should work, but any back-EMF feedback/load control may not be happy with two motors in the circuit so you may need to turn that off.  Make sure the decoder is rated for the combined current draw of both motors.    In G scale I have locos with 4 motors which run off one decoder.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:23:47 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:32:03 PM »
You’ll need a lot of wires, obviously. At least 4, and if there are lights even more. Should work though.

I’ve through-wired one of my 350s to pickup from two coaches and it’s superb.

Offline stevewalker

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 12:30:06 AM »
That's something I'll be trying in a while (probably quite a while) as I'm building a Beyer-Garratt.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything