!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fairford  (Read 245 times)

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
Fairford
« on: July 14, 2019, 01:03:29 AM »
Thought it was about  time to share some progress on my new build layout.

The  3 scenic boards are 9ft by 18 inches with 1 3ft board for the storage traverser. A bespoke order from White Rose Baseboards.

Track is generally faithful to prototype with some compression in length. This time I have used Finetrax. Points have been slightly modified with rail built frogs , a commission from Borg Rail.

The shed is a RTP Scenecraft Farish product, a decent representation of the Fairford one, just need to modify to a solid end rather than doors  at both.
More to follow.

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Fairford
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 01:47:29 AM »
Nice track and points!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 02:16:38 AM »
That looks great already. One question - is the traverser vertical or horizontal? I can't tell from the pictures. The reason I ask is that I'm wondering about modifying my layout to add capacity to the fiddle yard without a ton of new pointwork and where I'd soon run out of usable roads for longer trains.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 06:38:29 AM »
agree with comments above

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 07:57:42 AM »
Is this your representation of the once what was gwr oxford witney fairford gwr branch that caz modelled?

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 08:03:26 AM »
Good start and nice to see someone else using Finetrax.  Don't think I have seen plywood used for supporting legs before, but it seems a good idea to me, light and strong with two strips glued at 90 degrees like that.

Richard

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »
Here is the original Track plan post some modifications in 1940’s.

The traverser is a type sliding on drawer runners. The tracks are aligned using tiny brass square slotting in to square tube, these are soldered to code 55 track in the off scene yard.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 09:48:42 AM »
Thank you

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »
I look forward to seeing this develop, as will @Caz

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 11:13:08 AM »
Looks like you are off to a great start Carl.

It is a line I have a fascination with, even though not my normal area of modelling. This is driven by a childhood memory from sometime around 1969/70 when my Brother and I stayed at a caravan park at Cassington Mill with our Grandparents. Even back then I loved railways and was curious about the line that crossed the river. My Grandparents said that they thought it was disused and sure enough for days we saw no trains. Then one day I came out the caravan to see what I now know to be a Class 22 (the sad "eyes" stuck in my memory) with an assortment of wagons behind it slowly come into view and cross the river. As I later discovered freight trains ran on the remains of the Branch as far as Witney Goods until late 1970. I have often pondered making a model of Witney Goods from that era, maybe some day I will.

http://www.fairfordbranch.co.uk/Witney_Goods.htm

Really looking forward to seeing this model progress.

Roy

Offline Gary Burcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 26212
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »
I too have a strong fascination in this line and really look forward to it's progress.  I live local to where it used to run and cross it at least four times most days, the nearest former station being either Brize Norton or Carterton.  I have often thought about building a layout representing part of the line, but can never decide which bit.  Beyond Witney, towards Fairford, has limited historical operating potential, but rule 1 can always improve that.  I have often pondered the notion of a number of us each building a part and connecting them up on occasion.  How cool would that be?

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 12:10:46 PM »
I've also considered both Brize Norton & Bampton and Witney Goods, Alvescot too. I've acquired several books on the line and even started plans of the former two in SCARM.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything