!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Averingcliffe  (Read 6351 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Averingcliffe
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »

I can't see any German locos though ;)

Give it time, give it time.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2019, 08:49:11 PM »
Thank you very much indeed, David, for introducing Mrs Peel into the proceedings.

I so look forward to the forthcoming photographs.

Best Wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »
 :hellosign:
  Many thanks David all very clever & extremely entertaining back story, looking forward to more with pictures
       regards Derek.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
@cornish yorkie
 :thankyousign: Derek. Most of the people in the back story, (right back to Chapter 1), are the names of my ancestors jumbled up. As you can tell, I 'borrow' from real life, (and the television), as well.  I just hope that I don't get a solicitors letter one day!  :)

Addit: Depending on the builders, there may be some pictures this weekend. If not, it will be at least a week or so, as I, unfortunately, ( ;)), have to go over to the UK next week to visit a few model shops.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:41:54 PM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit »
David.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2019, 05:25:24 PM »
Just a quick update this time folks.

Due to the annual holiday period, all work has stopped in Averingcliffe. However, I am happy to report that work has been taking place at quite a fast pace and the two engine shed and shops blocks are virtually complete. The tram tracks are laid and the council have also been busy creating pedestrian areas and laying new pavements. In general, everybody is happy with the progress. I will report further after the holiday but in the meantime, here are a couple of photographs of the tram shed and shops building situated at the western end of Averingcliffe.

David.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2019, 06:55:32 AM »
Looking good!  :thumbsup:

Offline chorleysteve

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »
as Keith said.... "looking good"

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2019, 09:52:45 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
   Of course looking good
        regards Derek.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2019, 05:33:08 PM »
Chapter XVIII

We have moved on a few months now.  At the last A.S.D.A. meeting, Sir Andrew brought the committee members up to date and stated that A.S.D.A. had received charitable status and a loan from the Bank, along with two grants, had been offered and accepted. Sir Andrew said that the two tram shed buildings, designed by the Broadford firm of architects, E. Skechitt and I. Drewitt, were, as the committee members knew, just about complete, with just some minor works to complete.  The pedestrian area paving had been completed by the council and the safety railings were well on the way to being erected. Two zebra crossings had been put down on Main Street although the belisha beacons were still to be erected. The white markings on the road surface would be painted in the next couple of weeks by two Chinese gentlemen, W Hite and Li Ning who worked for B.R.M. - British Road Markings.

Of the seven new shops in the tram shed buildings, six were already bringing in revenue for A.S.D.A. with a tenant lined up for the seventh shop. Sir Andrew stated that cables had been laid for lighting in the pedestrian areas should it be deemed necessary, but, for the time being, they would see what the public thought about this and review the situation in a few months.

Michael Wakefield then told the committee members that his fellow directors had put up the money to acquire two trams, which had been transported to the tram sheds the previous day. The dairy would pay for staff to man the trams which would only run during the times that the Averingcliffe attractions were open. The dairy museum would be ready to open to the public during the following week and he suggested that the S.T.E.A.M. Railway, Royal Mail and he get together so that opening hours for the attractions could be coordinated. Nora Batty then said that she did not know about coordinating hours, but all the attractions needed to be open at the same time, to which Michael Wakefield said, “Err yes, good idea Nora”.  A meeting was arranged for the following Monday evening in a private room at ‘The Duchess’. He then went on to say that a new War memorial would be erected in the pedestrian area at the west end of the village. This would commemorate the people of Averingcliffe and surrounding areas, who had lost their lives in various conflicts, including their own people who had been injured when an airplane jettisoned its bomb load over the area in 1944.

Sir Andrew drew the meeting to a close saying that, even without any coordination, visitor numbers to the Railway and Post Office museum were looking good and on the strength of that, the bus company would be increasing the frequency of service to Averingcliffe. All agreed that that would be a good move.

Below are some photographs of the tram shed/shop buildings. The first is looking along the tracks towards the shed at the west end

Then we have one looking in the opposite direction, showing the incomplete safety fencing work

Now we have three photographs of the shed and shops at the west end, the first of which shows the new war memorial and the pedestrian access to the dairy museum

The shed/shops buildings were scratch built mainly from white card faced with Vollmer red brick sheets and the pavements are actually grey roof tiles, printed on self-adhesive A4 labels, cut out and stuck onto thin card. The tram sheds are as big as they are because they hide a Kato point, so, rather cunningly, I can have a white tram enter the shed and have a black one come out.  ;).
In the first picture, you will see two white areas, the one on the left will have some more semi-detached house, whilst the top centre space will have a scratch built model of a shop I frequent, providing the owner gives me permission.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 05:38:02 PM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit »
David.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »
Great photos. Impressive modelling. Well done sir!

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2019, 10:10:07 PM »
Great photos. Impressive modelling. Well done sir!

Alec.

Yes indeed; very nice work.

I'm wondering what kind of shop you frequent.

Hopefully we'll find out in due course, owner's permission permitting!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2019, 07:33:15 AM »
Great modelling! I particularly like the tram track.  :thumbsup:

Ah “Sketchit & Drewit”, a great company. It’s good to see that you didn’t employ “Bodgeit & Fixit” as the builders.  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2019, 10:05:44 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   All looking superb Dave, really nice tramway & interesting & entertaining story.
    regards Derek.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2019, 04:43:11 PM »
 :thankyousign: all for the encouraging comments - they are appreciated.

@Train Waiting the shop is just a coffee shop in Carrick-on-Shannon that does nice light meals and, I think I have mentioned them before somewhere, beautiful strawberry tarts, (not sure I can do them in n gauge though!).

@keithbythe sea @cornish yorkie the tram track is as supplied by Kato, the double track being converted to single track, (see this link for how I did it -
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41678.msg513229#msg513229
(I did not realise it was so long since I did that  :o), the outermost 'pavements' were just covered in the same 'pavement' self adhesive paper I used for the pedestrianised areas and I left the central bit as was. I must admit that I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

“Bodgeit & Fixit” were not used, but in Chapter III the 'cowboy' builders "Messrs R. Rogers and W. Earp along with their young helper Billy" were mentioned.  ;)
David.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2019, 10:26:33 PM »
Please forgive my indulgence, but following the replies to a previous post, I have created a slideshow on YouTube, showing some pictures from Averingcliffe. Most of the pictures have probably been seen before, but the pictures on my very first slideshow are of The Manor house and the first open day. This is just an experiment!

https://youtu.be/NblDjiGQ4HE

Addit: Now that I have watched the clip a few times myself, the images seem a bit pixelated - any of you more experienced 'YouTubers' help me out?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 10:31:36 PM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit »
David.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything