!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Averingcliffe  (Read 9806 times)

Offline Von

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Averingcliffe
« Reply #225 on: March 06, 2020, 01:25:28 PM »
Hi Guys, its taken me most of this morning ... but Im very pleased to say  Ive really enjoyed my time learning all about the  local history of Averingcliffe... from inception to current day anticipation of the new old station .

Thank you for your effort in doing this David, its really inspiring

see ya  :thankyousign: :beers:
Happy train days ... see ya !

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: March 07, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »
In a previous post I mentioned that there was to be an event in Averingcliffe at Easter. Attached is the flyer that will be distributed throughout the area over the next couple of weeks, courtesy of the nice postmen and women at the Royal Mail Depot. There will also be a piece in the local papers nearer the time.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: March 07, 2020, 05:36:04 PM »
What - no picture on the poster?  Just words.  That won't catch the imagination.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: March 07, 2020, 07:15:13 PM »
The press release has some photographs and the local Broadford weekly will have a whole two page spread, the week after next.
David.

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2020, 09:57:01 AM »
 :hellosign:
   Thanks David looking forward to the Easter Gala
      regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2020, 09:05:56 PM »
Easter Steam Gala – A Problem

In reply #226, I showed the flyer that is being circulated regarding the Steam Gala due to be held over the Easter weekend. Well there is bad news, not so bad news and good news.

The bad news is that the ‘Pullman’ dining car will not be making an appearance, due to being double booked with another preserved railway. However, the not so bad news is that there may now be a Pullman carriage in attendance, but, (we are now back to bad news), the carriage was due to be brought to Averingcliffe by a low loader – which is now in doubt. When Sir James Cooke contacted the heavy haulage company a couple of weeks ago, he was informed that one of the directors of the haulage company, ‘Mooveit and Shyfter’, would be in the area the following week. Arrangements were made for Mr Mooveit to meet with Sir James and Roy Grace, the S.T.E.A.M. Heritage Railway Director, in ‘The Duchess’ where they would discuss the matter over a pie and a pint.

Sir James explained what was required over lunch and then, at Mr. Mooveit’s request, they went to look at the space available to get a low loader into the depot. After just five minutes of surveying the area, Mr. Mooveit said that he thought it would be impossible to get the low loader into the depot. Sir James looked crestfallen, whilst Roy Grace was nearly in tears. Mr. Mooveit explained that the low loader would need reversing into the yard from the main road, which would necessitate closing the road for a while. Sir James said that he did not think that would be a problem, seeing as he was a friend of the Chief Constable and the local officer, P.C. Cooke, was always willing to help. Mr. Mooveit went on to say that that was not the main problem. The main problem was that, reversing into the yard from the main road involved too many sharp turns, firstly the low loader would have to reverse to the right and then to the left, just to get onto the ramp leading into the yard. He also stated that even if the low loader was to pull in front of the Manor House, it would still be extremely difficult, especially with the patch of the grass in front of the Manor House, adjacent to the garage. He asked if there was any way to get an aerial photograph of the road and yard entrance. Sir James said that a friend of his, a Charles Wood, had a small ‘plane that he flew, just for leisure, from a field on the other side of Broadford, Sir James almost ran to the Manor House and, returning a few minutes later, stated that Charles would be only too pleased to help. Mr. Wood said that he had his grandson with him and they would be taking off in a matter of minutes. Sure enough, a short time later, they saw Mr. Wood flying over Averingcliffe. Mr. Wood had his own dark room and had told Sir James that he would get the film developed immediately on his return home and could he get someone to collect it in about an hour. Sir James had replied that he would get his driver/handyman, Sydney James, to drive over and collect it. While they waited, Sir James suggested they return to ‘The Duchess’ while they waited. An hour or so later, Syd handed over the photograph and Mr. Mooveit said that he would return to his premises and liaise with his transport foreman and see if he agreed with his thoughts.

Mr. Mooveit then said that not all was lost. The good news is that it may well be possible to get the carriage to the S.T.E.A.M. Railway by rail as they owned a low loading railway wagon. As long as there were no low tunnels on the route, he did not see why the carriage could not be brought from its current location to Averingcliffe.

I will keep you informed. This is the photograph taken by Mr. Wood, showing the road layout in the vicinity of the depot, you can see the problems envisioned by Mr. Mooveit.

David.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2020, 09:26:39 PM »
Let’s hope that something can be sorted.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2020, 06:34:02 AM »
ooh-err!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2020, 07:38:00 AM »
An interesting dilemma. How about getting a “Massive” crane?  :hmmm:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2020, 08:11:28 AM »
An sticky situation, David. Like when 'Sticky the stick insect etc...'

Not so long ago a low loader taking an engine to the K&WVR knocked over the traffic lights in the middle of Keighley.

Please forgive what is known hereabouts as a 'daft laddie' question.  Why can the Pullman car not travel by rail on its own wheels?  I'm assuming it has wheels and is to standard gauge - possibly big assumptions!  No need to worry about ultrasonic testing in 1968.

I'm waiting with interest...

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2020, 03:30:27 PM »
@Train Waiting  Now listen 'ere 'daft laddie'. There is a problem with a bearing on a bogie of the carriage that is being loaned to the S.T.E.A.M. Railway. However, it has been agreed with the owners of the carriage that one of the chaps from the depot is going to travel over and see if the problem can be sorted 'in situ', if so, then the carriage will be brought to the site "on its own wheels". I will let you know as soon as I know anything.  :)
David.

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2020, 12:47:52 AM »
 :hellosign:
    Fingers crossed the wheels can be sorted
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2020, 05:05:05 PM »
Easter Steam Gala

Well I am sure you will all be pleased to know that the Steam Gala this Easter weekend is in full swing – with a couple of caveats. The only steam engines available to put in an appearance are the Princess Coronation Class ‘City Of Bradford’ in black and her sister locomotive ‘Duchess Of Hamilton’ in her green colour scheme. Some of you may remember that the Duchess is a favourite in Averingcliffe, having visited on a few occasions, albeit in her maroon colouring. Also in attendance is a 2-6-2 Tank engine in G.W.R. green.

It was hoped to have two or three more steam locomotives in attendance, but to make up for this, the A.S.D.A. arranged for three Class 55 Deltic diesel locomotives to make an appearance. The first of which is ‘Pinza’ in the two tone green paint scheme and the second is ‘The Prince Of Wales Own Regiment Of Yorkshire’ in blue. The third example of this locomotive is the prototype in its original lovely blue paint scheme. Also in attendance are two American locomotives from the old ‘Burlington Northern’ company with two items of rolling stock.

Amongst the rolling stock at the event is the ‘Pullman’ carriage which, you may remember, was in doubt due to a bearing problem. Derek Trotter, the Supervisor at the S.T.E.A.M. maintenance depot and his brother Rodney, (usually called ‘Dave’ for some reason), went across to the preserved railway where the carriage was kept. After examining the broken bearing, the brothers decided that it would be easy enough to make one on site. This was done, replaced on the carriage and tested – it worked just as good as new. Arrangements were then made for it to be brought to the S.T.E.A.M. Railway using the rail network. There is also an old 4 wheel Pullman type carriage.

The weather has been fine for the last couple of days but with a few showers today. However, it is forecast to be fine and dry for tomorrow, so we are all hoping for a bumper crowd.

A few photographs that were taken yesterday are attached, with a couple being taken by Mr. Charles Wood from his little airplane.

First we have two shots of the attending locomotives

Now two shots showing the Pullman carriages

One of the Tank engine

And finally, two shots of the 'Burlington Northern' visitors

David.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2020, 05:36:46 PM »
David, that's a good looking green Pullman. Incidentally, I have several Pullmans that don't fit my layout scheme. I bought them before I read a history of the GWR and learned they had never run through Westbury. So, I suppose my models will never run through Wiltsbury!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2020, 07:14:48 PM »
Looks like a great day David.
Thanks for posting.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal