!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Averingcliffe  (Read 10342 times)

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Averingcliffe
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
Well I can finally report that W. Hite and Li Ning have done the road markings on Averingcliffe. I took the opportunity to play about with the video camera again and have done a short video entitled 'A Birds Eye View'. Watching the video back, it is surprising how many little things you see that are wrong, or at least, not right! The next project is to finish 'Coffeys' Bakery and Cafe, which should be finished in the next few days.

Here is the video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnylwtY0ajo
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2019, 02:39:31 PM »
Hite and Ning wave done a great job.

Super video David.

What make are the railings by the Old Post Office?

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »
@Invicta Alec
Thank you for that Alec. Those railings are as supplied by 'Scale Model Scenery', sprayed with a Halfords rattle can. They are a bit of a pita to put together, but like most of their stuff, look quite good when done.  :thumbsup:

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/lx055-n-laser-cut-2m-palisade-security-fencing--gates-n2mm1148-850-p.asp
David.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2019, 03:19:46 PM »
Cracking job on the buildings.

Didn't know we had Far Eastern road painters in our midst but they've made a good effort of it!  :D

The fences look really great. I have them also. As you say, not the easiest but very nice when done.

It can be a bit scary when you look at layout close ups but I've found they do help fix the bits that aren't quite as you'd like them. I have a long list!

Dave G

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2019, 03:24:25 PM »

It can be a bit scary when you look at layout close ups but I've found they do help fix the bits that aren't quite as you'd like them. I have a long list!

Thanks for the comments Dave. I think I might have to stop taking photographs and practising making videos - my list of 'bits to fix' is getting longer!  :worried:
David.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2019, 04:35:05 PM »
Thank you for that super film, David.

I particularly enjoyed the part where the tram suddenly appears!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2019, 07:30:00 AM »
 :greatpicturessign:, excellent David!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2019, 04:39:39 PM »
That’s a smashing video David and a fantastic layout. I hadn’t appreciated quite how large it is.
Great work.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2019, 06:06:45 PM »
 :thankyousign: Martin. The layout is, near enough, 12 feet by 4 feet at its widest.
David.

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2019, 03:36:23 PM »
 :hellosign:
Must agree with the above, very very nice video of your excellent layout.  :thumbsup:
       regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: December 17, 2019, 07:37:03 PM »
It has been about five weeks since I was last able to report on the happenings at ‘Averingcliffe’. I apologise, but I misplaced my ‘mojo’.  However, all is now well – I found it on my visit to the UK a couple of weeks ago.   :)

Chapter XX

Mr. Coffey has now, finally, opened his new café. It has been built between the eastern pedestrian precinct and Averingcliffe station. Visitors to Averingcliffe are invited to call in and partake of a nice cup of refreshing tea, or maybe try one of his speciality coffees, made on his new machine which serves coffees with the enchanting names of ‘Cappuccino’, ‘Latte’, or ‘Espresso’. Dolores and the staff at ‘Coffey’s’ serve light savoury snacks like sausage rolls and bacon and egg flan along with Mr. Coffey’s fine homemade buns and cakes, all made in the bakery at the rear of the premises. The strawberry tarts are already proving to be a big draw.

At the last A.S.D.A. committee meeting, it was agreed that a special event would take place on the weekend before Christmas. It was anticipated that there would be a few Christmas themed stalls along with an appearance by a certain gentleman going by the name of Father Christmas. A ‘flyer’ had been prepared and Stanley Hamilton, the local Royal Mail depot Manager, stated that all the postmen and women had agreed to deliver the ‘flyer’ to as many households as possible in the surrounding areas. Sir Andrew then proposed that all the staff working from the depot be invited to have a free cup of tea, or one of the new types of coffee,  at ‘Coffey’s’, the bill being paid by the committee funds. All present were in agreement and Mr Mainwaring, the Treasurer, stated that, as long as the committee members were in agreement, there would not be a problem, as, he said, they could class it as advertising. Sir Andrew agreed to speak to Mr. Coffey, to “obtain some sort of discount”. It was suggested that, in the week prior to Christmas Day, that all the attractions in Averingcliffe be open for the full week, with trams running on all days. Michael Wakefield said, on behalf of Wakefield Dairies, the museum could open each day and he was sure there would no shortage of drivers for the trams. Stanley Hamilton said that, as his staff were all to get a free cuppa, there would be no problem and Roy Grace, on behalf of the S.T.E.A.M. railway, stated that he was sure his staff would be only too happy to show off the rolling stock.  Sir Andrew said that he was glad to hear that, as, although he could say no more at the present time, he would like a couple of the sidings freed up. Roy Grace said that he would need to know what for, as there was only a certain amount of track available. Sir Andrew replied that he could say no more, but he would give all necessary details to Roy once one or two things had been confirmed.

Here are a couple of photographs of Coffey's -

For info', the ballasting has not yet been done on the tracks in front of Coffey's and the white bit just visible to the left of Coffey's in the second picture is where the station will, (eventually), be.

(Note to self - get the back wall painted blue or similar!)
David.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: December 17, 2019, 08:37:25 PM »
Thanks David.
Coffey’s looks really good. I could just pop in for a coffee and a slab of granny cake.
Great stuff.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: December 17, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »
Thanks David.
Coffey’s looks really good. I could just pop in for a coffee and a slab of granny cake.
Great stuff.
Martin

Seconded!

But what's 'granny cake', please?

It's always interesting to see a 'layout without a train' photograph - helps one to focus on the other interesting details.  Thank you for the super photographs, David.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: December 17, 2019, 08:59:51 PM »
It looks great, David!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: December 17, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »

But what's 'granny cake', please?

I must admit, that is something I do not recall, not even from either of my 'Grannies', so I did a Google. Here is one recipe, sounds delicious.  :food:

https://12tomatoes.com/granny-cake/
David.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal