!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Averingcliffe  (Read 5985 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Averingcliffe
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »
Far too honest to get anywhere in the film industry although you're amongst friends here and we'll keep your secret  :).

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #181 on: October 22, 2019, 07:24:46 AM »
Great stuff David. The video has a somewhat surreal feel to it!  :hmmm:

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »
I might try another video later to see if the light is the same and maybe a comparison between the little cube camera, the video camera and my phone camera.  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2019, 10:26:41 AM »
I might try another video later to see if the light is the same and maybe a comparison between the little cube camera, the video camera and my phone camera.  :hmmm:

Which cube camera have you got David? I used an SQ13 for the little vids I've done on Saxon Street.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2019, 10:54:05 AM »
@Invicta Alec
Morning Alec, mine is a SQ11, so a 'not as good as yours' model?  ???. I have just checked back through eBay and I paid £6.99p for it last July. I think that was following a couple of comments on the forum.
David.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: October 22, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »
Great fun, David, but I think you'll be requiring a weedkilling train in the not too distant future :hmmm: ;)
I bought an SQ11 off Fleabay but never got it to work really. I think @daveg had more success with his

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #186 on: October 22, 2019, 12:08:18 PM »
I think you'll be requiring a weedkilling train in the not too distant future

You are not wrong there Mick! I have just been doing some 'testing' and, because the SQ11 is a bit wider than a wagon or carriage, it is amazing how many times the camera catches a bush or a branch.  For the camera to be of use, there will have to be a fair bit of weed killing/pruning.:'(
David.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: October 22, 2019, 02:29:14 PM »
Really enjoyed the trip around the layout despite the 'soft' images!

Not attempted another vid with my camera due to extensive laziness/lack of mojo but winter nights are getting closer.

Thanks for the post. Keep them coming.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2019, 02:46:32 PM »
@Invicta Alec
Morning Alec, mine is a SQ11, so a 'not as good as yours' model?  ???. I have just checked back through eBay and I paid £6.99p for it last July. I think that was following a couple of comments on the forum.

I bought the SQ11 first but like @Newportnobby I couldn't get it to work properly. I sent it back and really bit the bullet by lashing out the extra £2 for the SQ13  :D

The 13 is ok but its lens it a bit too fish-eye IMO. Just a bit of fun though and I intend to do another video as I've done a fair bit of scenery since my last effort. I don't have a problem with bushes brushing against the camera, but my tunnel is too skinny as the track curves into it, to make a complete circuit.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2019, 10:05:43 PM »
Just a short update this time with a brief synopsis of the last A.S.D.A. Committee meeting.

Chapter XIX

Sir Andrew pointed out that the new toilet block in the pedestrian precinct at the West end of the village was now completed and open. He pointed out that it should be a ‘convenient’ addition to the facilities now available in the Averingcliffe area. He also stated that all the shops in the new tram buildings were now fully occupied and a healthy rental income was swelling the A.S.D.A. coffers. There is a Butchers, a picture framing store, along with a florist, a small grocers, a greengrocer and a newsagent. The last shop to open was a model and toy shop, run by a gentleman called ‘Danny’.

Michael Wakefield then told the members that the Dairy Museum was up and running and open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays as well as Bank Holidays. Stanley Hamilton, the Royal Mail depot Manager then pointed out that the mail museum was also open on a Wednesday and would it not be a good idea for all the attractions to be open on the same days. A discussion followed and it was agreed that, as stated at an earlier meeting, opening hours for the attraction should be coordinated. It was agreed that from the Easter weekend to the end of October, all the Averingcliffe attractions would open from Wednesday to Sunday inclusive, plus all Public Holidays. During the remainder of the year, the attractions would open Friday to Sunday inclusive. Michael Wakefield then said he would arrange for the trams to be run at all times during the attraction opening hours. He also stated that the trams in themselves seemed to be an added attraction.

The Council representative, Claude Greengrass then stated that the two pedestrian areas at either end of Averingcliffe were now fully completed, with the exception of lighting, which was something that would need further discussion and he suggested that the matter should be discussed next spring, when the villagers and visitors had seen what things were like during the winter months. He further added that all railings were now erected, bus and tram stops created and, as mentioned by Sir Andrew, the public toilets were now built. Nora Batty then asked if the toilets were free to use as there were people like her whose legs weren’t what they used to be. Mr. Greengrass replied that the toilets would indeed be free to use, although donation boxes were just inside each entrance, so people could put a penny in the box if they so wished. Mr. Greengrass then stated that a rather stern letter had been sent to British Road Markings about the non-appearance of the road markings. In their reply, B.R.M. said that they had been waiting for the installation of the Belisha Beacons and as soon as that was done, W Hite and Li Ning would be on site within 72 hours and get the markings laid down. Mr. Greengrass informed the committee that he had sent a letter the previous day to B.R.M. stating that the Belisha Beacons had now been installed, so he was expecting the road markings to be in place in a matter of days.

Michael Sagar then addressed the members and said that, whilst he was pleased that they had some new shops, he was a bit concerned as to how the new shops would affect what was already available. Sir Andrew then stated that, as things stand, the only people who would be directly affected by the new shops would be Mr. Arkwright at the general store and Mr. and Mrs. Haigh who ran the two huts by the bridge at the western end of the village. Apparently Mr. and Mrs. Haigh had come to an amicable arrangement with the lady who had the new florists, so there should be no problem there. Mr Arkwright was not too happy about the new shops but having had a meeting with Mr. Arkwright, Sir Andrew had convinced him that the influx of visitors could well be of benefit to Mr. Arkwright. Sir Andrew then said that he had more news in that a Mr. Coffey was to open a small bakery and café in the village. Work would be commencing in the very near future in the pedestrian precinct at the eastern end of the village.

Mr. Mainwaring, the Manager of the National Midland Bank in Upper Broadford, then stated that the A.S.D.A. bank account was in a very healthy position and, if visitor numbers were of the order predicted over the few months, he could see no reason why a proper company could not be formed to manage the affairs of A.S.D.A.

Bringing the meeting to a close, Sir Andrew reminded the members that new war memorial would be dedicated at the forthcoming Remembrance Day service.

The meeting was then concluded.

(And they all adjourned to the ‘The Duchess’ for a nightcap).

Here is a picture of the new toilet block, along with a couple showing the tram track, first looking eastwards and then in the opposite direction. (As you will see, we are awaiting the road sweepers!).

The 'white space' on the left of the last picture is the site of the station - it's a use your imagination thing!  ;)
David.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2019, 01:44:14 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
    Many thanks David still loving your imaginative & interesting story line. Video looks good fun & them buildings are coming on a treat
      regards Derek.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2019, 02:02:09 PM »
As today is Remembrance Sunday, I thought I would give you all a sneak preview of next Tuesdays edition of the 'Broadford Gazette'. I have tried uploading the file as a pdf but am struggling, (can any one give me guidance please as I can not find anything under 'Help'?). So here is the hard copy version, prior to formatting for the newspaper -

BROADFORD GAZETTE
Vol LX. Issue XLIV                                                    12th November 1968                                                                   Price 5d
AVERINGCLIFFE WAR MEMORIAL DEDICATION ON REMEMBERANCE DAY
The new War Memorial in the village of Averingcliffe was jointly dedicated last Sunday, Remembrance Day, by the Bishop and Dean of Cleckhuddersfax.

Our picture shows some of the people at the War Memorial, a second picture is at the end of this item.

The War memorial was financed by members of the public in Averingcliffe and the surrounding area, along with generous donations from Sir Andrew and Lady Joan Cooke, the Directors and staff at Wakefield Dairies and local tradespeople.
Sir Andrew said that it had been an honour to be involved in bringing a memorial such as this, 50 years after the end of the First World War, to Averingcliffe and thanked everyone involved for their donations, both financially and time wise.  Whilst Averingcliffe had been fortunate in that no residents had been killed in either the First or Second World Wars, he said, Averingcliffe had experienced first-hand the horrors and tragedies, as during the spring of 1944, a lone German bomber had jettisoned its load of bombs over the village, causing many injuries and much destruction.
Continued on page 3.

Continued from page 1.
The Memorial has been erected in the newly created pedestrian area at the west end of Averingcliffe. The village of Averingcliffe has been much transformed over the last year or so, thanks in no small part to the dedicated members of A.S.D.A., the Averingcliffe and Surroundings Development Association and is now becoming quite a tourist attraction, having two museums along with the South Tentdale, Exland And Marple preserved railway. The village also has its own tramway and the Railway Station is shortly to undergo a facelift.

(I will add the original colour pictures to the post shortly).

David.

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »
As promised - colour pictures of Remembrance Day

David.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2019, 03:59:37 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
Thanks David looking superb & very poignant for the day
     regards Derek

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2019, 04:44:44 PM »
Excellent, David.  Thank you very much indeed.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here