!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Averingcliffe  (Read 5898 times)

Offline grumbeast

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Averingcliffe
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2019, 04:00:36 PM »
Great pics!

The barn in particular looks fantastic I can almost erm smell it :)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »
Please find attached a copy of a notice which is, as we speak, being circulated to all residents of 'Averingcliffe' and widely throughout the surrounding area. The notice will also appear in tomorrows edition of the local paper. I urge all local residents to read the notice, as it concerns the future of 'Averingcliffe' and the surrounding area.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:48:58 PM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2019, 02:02:20 PM »
I’ve a feeling that the public meeting will be particularly well attended.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2019, 02:43:03 PM »
It is to be hoped so. Sir Daniel has arranged to buy quite a large quantity of beer and wine from Mike, the landlord of the 'Duchess' and has also authorised Alice McCarthy, the cook/housekeeper to buy the necessary provisions to feed, as Mrs. McCarthy put it, "the five thousand"!  :)
David.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2019, 03:14:45 PM »
It is to be hoped so. Sir Daniel has arranged to buy quite a large quantity of beer and wine from Mike, the landlord of the 'Duchess' and has also authorised Alice McCarthy, the cook/housekeeper to buy the necessary provisions to feed, as Mrs. McCarthy put it, "the five thousand"!  :)
I shall consult the relevant timetables to see if I can catch a train from Trepol Bay.
Beer, wine and food sounds tempting  :beers:

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2019, 03:35:48 PM »
You would be more than welcome. Having just liaised with Sir Andrew, he agrees wholeheartedly with me, saying that it would be interesting to get an 'outsiders' view. However, he does have one caveat. It would be appreciated if you did not make your intentions widely known. As Sir Andrew puts it, "The Manor House is nowhere as big as the old one".  ;)
David.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2019, 07:33:02 PM »

Beer, wine and food sounds tempting  :beers:

Beer before wine; fine:
Wine before beer; oh dear!
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »
This chapter is a bit long winded, but it is important, being an almost verbatim account of the meeting that formed the committee.

Chapter XVI

Details re Public Meeting held on 6th September

The meeting was held in the Dining Room at The Manor house as, due to the fact that the great table had been taken away for a minor repair and French Polishing, this was the largest space, apart from the garden, available to hold the meeting.

A long table had been placed at one end of the room, with Sir Andrew Cooke and a number other people sat there. At precisely 7.30 pm, Sir Andrew rose and said, “I would like to thank you all for attending this meeting tonight. I thought that twenty chairs would be more than adequate, but, with apologies, as a large number of you have noticed, a lot of you have to stand. However, I will be as brief as I can so you can all get out into the garden and enjoy the refreshments on this lovely evening. The main point of this meeting is to form a committee who will have two main aims - to manage the not inconsiderable monies that have been accumulated since the opening of the S.T.E.A.M. Heritage Railway and Royal Mail museum. The monies are currently held in an account at the National Midland Bank in Upper Broadford, suitably supervised by Mr. George Mainwaring, the Manager, whom a lot of you will know.” Sir Andrew indicated the man seated on his left, who promptly rose and gave a slight bow. Sir Andrew then drank from a glass of water in front of him on the table and went on to say “The second aim of the committee will be to ensure that the success of the attractions so far enjoyed by us all will continue”.

Sir Andrew then said, “First of all, we need the committee – do we have any nominations for the position of Chairman?” Somebody seated in the middle of the room said, “You do it”. Sir Andrew smiled and said, “Whilst we do not have any formal rules as yet, I suggest that names for the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary be put forward, does anyone have any objections to that?” Anthony Hancock, who lived in Railway Cuttings then said from his seat near the front, “The sun goes down in a couple of hours, can we get on with it?” This brought a few laughs from some of the attendees, whilst one or two others were heard to say, “Don’t be a misery guts” and other similar entreaties. Sir Andrew himself smiled and then said, “I would be honoured to serve as the Chairman. As most of you are aware, I do have some influence in the area and wider afield so feel I could serve the committee well.  As for the position of Vice Chairman, I would like to ask Mr. Michael Wakefield, who as you know, is a Director at Wakefield Dairies, to accept the position”. Sir Andrew then turned to his left and addressed the man sat beside Mr. Mainwaring, “Michael”.

Michael Wakefield stood and said, “Like Sir Andrew, I too would be honoured to serve on the committee. We have had some discussions at the dairy and will have some exciting news to impart to the committee in the not too distant future, which I am sure, will be of great benefit to residents and visitors to Averingcliffe”. “Thank you Michael” said Sir Andrew. “To save time, I would like to propose that Mr. Mainwaring accept the position of Treasurer, seeing as how he already has our money”. This brought quite a few laughs and smiles from the people in the room. Mr. Mainwaring stood and said, “As you say Sir Andrew, I already have the money, we might as well make it official”.   "Now as to the Secretary, I wonder if you Sarah”, who was sat on Sir Andrews right, “would accept the position. I know of the work you do at the dairy and, as Michaels wife, I feel that you would be more than capable of doing the job”. Sarah Wakefield stood and, blushing, said that she would accept the job.

Sir Andrew then said, "Now, as we have representatives of the Royal Mail and local Council present and sat at the table, I would like to ask if you Stanley, as the Royal Mail representative and you, Claude, as the Council representative, would like to serve on the committee – Stanley?” Stanley Hamilton stood and said, “Well, yes, yes I could do that. Thank you”. As Stanley sat down, Sir Andrew looked at Claude and said, “Claude, how about you?”. Claude Greengrass stood and said, “Whilst obviously I could not unduly influence any decisions the Council may make in relation to what the Committee may decide, I do feel that I could be a valuable member of the committee, so yes, I would like to accept”. He then sat down.

“Right”, said Sir Andrew, “we now need just a few more members. I would like to suggest that some residents of Averingcliffe and the surrounding area put themselves forward – any volunteers?” There were a few murmurings from the people present. “Oh come on people, surely some of you would like to represent your community, how about you Nora”. He indicated a lady sat to the left of the room. “You do not stand on ceremony and, if you do not mind me saying, are known as being down to earth and to the point, just the type of person we need”. Nora Batty replied, “Nay lad, I now knowt about committees, I’ve never bin on one before”. Sir Andrew then said, with a smile on his face, “Nora, as I said, your directness would be a help to the committee. You have lived in Broadford for over forty years, so you know the area and the people. Please consider it”. “Well lad, I suppose I could, but me legs aren’t what they used to be you know”. “Nora, once we get the committee established, the meetings would probably be only about one a month and I am sure we could arrange transport for you” replied Sir Andrew. Nora replied, “Oh go on then, it might be fun”. Sir Andrew told her that he appreciated her agreement and then said, “We need another member. With respect to the majority of you, how about somebody from the younger generation”. Again, there were murmurs from the attendees, but nobody seemed to be forthcoming. Stanley Hamilton whispered something to Sir Andrew who said, “Excellent suggestion”. He then looked at Michael Sagar, who was stood at the right hand side of the room with his wife, Sue. “Michael, would you consider sitting on the committee”. Sue nudged Michaels arm and said something to him. “Err, well, I could do I suppose” replied Michael. “Excellent” came the reply from Sir Andrew.

“Before I draw this meeting to a close, I would like to suggest that we have one further member on the committee. The South Tentdale, Exdale And Marple Railway have been mainly responsible for the burgeoning fortunes of the area and I am sure that  everyone here, including Mr. Arkwright would be in full agreement with me there”. This brought howls of laughter from the people present. Even Mr. Arkwright, sat at the back of the room, was seen to smile. When the laughter had died down, Sir Andrew continued, “I therefore propose that Roy Grace, the manager at the facility, join the committee. Sir Andrew turned to his left and addressed the man at the far end of the table, “How about it Roy?” Roy Grace stood and replied, “Thank you Sir Andrew, it would be a privilege to serve on the committee”.

Sir Andrew turned to the audience and said, “Would anyone else like to add anything”. A lone voice was heard to say, “Can we have the refreshments now?” This brought forward more laughter. Sir Andrew then said, “Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for your time and patience. I am sure that the members of the committee, on your behalf, will do an excellent job in bringing even more prosperity to the area. Can I ask that the committee members stay behind for a few minutes whilst the rest of you retire to the garden and enjoy the refreshments? Once the committee members were on their own, Sir Andrew said to them, “Firstly, may I thank you wholeheartedly for agreeing to form the new committee. I am sure that, between us, we can make a very successful job of looking after the amenities in Averingcliffe and go from strength to strength. I have an idea for the committee name, what do you all feel about Averingcliffe and Surrounds Development Area. All agreed that A.S.D.A. had a certain ring to it.

Sorry that you could not make it @port perran  ;)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 12:34:59 PM by dannyboy »
David.

Online keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2019, 05:18:03 PM »
Sorry, did someone say free wine and food? :thumbsup:

Am I too late?  :confused2:

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »
Well it was available, but unfortunately there was not even enough left for Sir Andrew and Lady Joan's supper! 
David.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »
Well it was available, but unfortunately there was not even enough left for Sir Andrew and Lady Joan's supper!

I missed out too  :'(

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2019, 06:37:55 PM »
I am sorry that some people missed the inaugural meeting of A.S.D.A., but I can say that there are some exciting developments to come which will transform Averingcliffe and the surrounding area. I am not at liberty to disclose any details at this stage, as there are a number of meetings to come, involving the Council, Bank and the local business community. As soon as I can, I will reveal those details.
David.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2019, 06:46:51 PM »
Exciting stuff

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
We now have a rough transcript of the first official A.S.D.A. committee meeting. It is another rather long winded report, but, hopefully, the next chapter will not be as long and will include some photographs of building work.

CHAPTER XVII

The first official meeting of the A.S.D.A. committee was held on the following Thursday evening in a private room at ‘The Duchess’. I will not bore you with the opening formal comments and discussions, but it was agreed that, should a committee member have a suggestion, it would be put to a vote and if at least five members agreed, that suggestion would be acted upon.

Sir Andrew then said, “An account has now been opened at the National Midland Bank. In theory, anyone can put money into the account, but for a withdrawal, the signatures of two committee members will be required, one of which must be that of Mr. Mainwaring or myself”. Everybody agreed to this. Continuing, Sir Andrew said, “Now I can report that over the last week, a lot of discussions have been taking place and, rather than steal anybodys thunder, I would like to ask various members of the committee to give you the details. Can I start with you Michael?”

Michael Wakefield stood up and said, “Thank you Sir Andrew. What I can say to start with, is that the directors of Wakefield Dairies have agreed to create a museum at the dairy. A part of the ground floor of the main building has been set aside for this purpose and we have already started work on this. We hope it will be another fine attraction to the area”.

“Excuse me Mr. Wakefield,” interrupted Nora Batty, “but the dairy is a bit of a trek from the other end of the village. My legs are not what they used to be you know and a lot of people are in the same boat”.

Michael Wakefield replied, “That is an excellent point to raise Nora. The directors have thought about this and, once the museum is up and running, which should only take a matter of weeks, we have arranged with Mr. Wallace Arnold to provide a bus service from one end of Averingcliffe to the other, so visitors do not have to walk if they would rather ride, just like he did on the occasion of the S.T.E.A.M. Railway opening day. However, we are currently in discussions with the Council, Mr. Greengrass will fill you in shortly, about starting a tram service from one end of the village to the other. We are prepared to purchase a tram, with the possibility of acquiring a second one, if A.S.D.A. paid the running costs.”  There were a few murmurs from the people present and then Sir Andrew said, “I think at this point, we should hear from Mr. Greengrass”.

Claude Greengrass stood and said, “Ladies and Gentlemen, I can say that the Council, using some of the local amenities fund and general improvements money, are prepared to fund the laying of a tram track alongside the main road through the village. An application has been made to the relevant people for a grant that will allow the council to create a paved area at either end of the station which, as I am sure you will all agree, is a bit of an eyesore at the moment. I am confident that the grant will be forthcoming”. Claude then sat down.

Sir Andrew then stood and said to the members, “I am sure you will all agree that the information provided by Mr. Greengrass is highly encouraging”. There was general agreement amongst the committee members. Michael Sagar stood and said, “I can not agree more, but I am a bit troubled by any possible noise issues, what with trams running all day and what could be a large influx of visitors”. Michael Wakefield stood and replied, “I hear what you are saying Michael. The trams are electrically operated and so are almost silent in operation. As regards the visitor influx, I believe Sir Andrew can comment on that”. Michael Wakefield sat down as Sir Andrew rose. “Indeed I can Michael. Sir Bob Peel, the Chief Constable, was at the Manor House for a few drinks last weekend, along with his wife Emma. I have asked Sir Peel, that, in the interests of public safety and order, if we could have a constable permanently stationed in the village. Whilst Sir Peel could not agree to this, due to budgetary constraints, he has agreed that an officer will be in the area, whenever possible, whilst the attractions are open to the public. I do not think we can ask for more”. “That’s fair enough” replied Michael Sagar.

Sir Andrew then said, “Now for a final piece of good news. Along with Michael Wakefield, I have been in negotiation with a firm of builders. For the trams to be protected from the elements and serviced when necessary, we need some sort of building. The builders, Taylor, Woodrow and Wimpey, are prepared to build a tram shed and shops at either end of the tramway. They are already contracted to build a shopping centre in Broadford for the Council and this will be a sort of ‘job on the side’. They obviously will want paying for the work, but I have got them to agree to taking much less than they would normally charge, in exchange for a percentage of the rents from the shops”. Nora Batty then said, “Who will own the shops though and who will occupy them?” “The shops will be owned by us and hopefully, there will be no shortage of businesses wanting to locate here” replied Sir Andrew. Stanley Hamilton then asked “How exactly will that work Sir Andrew?” to which Sir Andrew replied, “Ah, what I have not yet said, is that A.S.D.A. is to receive charity status. It means a lot of paperwork and red tape, but that can be sorted out. Can I ask George to explain a bit more?”

George Mainwaring then stood and said, “I have spoken to my superiors at head office and, if A.S.D.A. were to become a charity, they can provide a loan on extremely favourable terms. With this loan, we can pay the builders for the work and the rents from the shops, apart from the proportion given to the builders, will come to A.S.D.A. Along with monies received from the railway, Post Office and dairy, we should be able to maintain a reasonably healthy position.”

Sir Andrew then said, “Stanley, what is the position of Royal Mail?” to which Stanley replied, “Well I have spoken to the Area Manager, Frank Barrens, who has been in contact with his bosses. They have agreed that they are happy to keep the status quo. Apparently they said “what you’re proposing” is fine and “whatever you want” is okay providing there is no interruption to the running of the depot. They are happy for any monies to go to A.S.D.A. providing it does not cost the Royal Mail anything”.

Sir Andrew then suggested that the meeting came to a close and that a further meeting be held the following week and that they should all retire to the bar.

David.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »
Looks good  :thumbsup:

I can't see any German locos though ;)
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Please Support Us!