!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Averingcliffe  (Read 7510 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Averingcliffe
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »
Excellent.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2019, 11:44:47 PM »
Hi David,

Great stuff although I hate it when people have lights on their layout because it looks so good and I haven't got any and I want some but don't know how to do it and I've probably left it too late now to install them without destroying things already stuck down and even the toys I'm throwing out of my pram at the moment aren't lit up  :'(  ;)  :D.

Seriously, great stuff.

Cheers weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:51:02 AM by weave »

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2019, 01:31:47 AM »
I have created a Google Photo folder of some of the pictures showing the development of Averingcliffe.

David, I like it! I hope I can emulate the clarity of your images, eventually. Putting parts (pictures) together makes a lot of sense and helps with the visualization of the entire project. I suspect you've used Google Photos before. I have dozens of albums there and need to create a few more, including one to show the progression of my layout from baseboard to the final (?) finished product. Photo albums are a much more manageable way to pass on photographs than the shoe box my mother left me (though less emotional). As with my family tree, if my children aren't interested it doesn't matter. I've had the pleasure of creating them and learned a lot along the way!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2019, 08:54:51 AM »
@weave If I had realised the profound effect some of my pictures would have on you, I would not have included them. I can only apologise and hope that you soon get over your upset  :). Seriously though, whilst it would be difficult to retrofit lights in buildings and the like, it might be easier to fit street or yard lights. Depending what is under the baseboard, a hole drilled through and a lamppost glued in place might be easy enough. If you used 12v lights, they could be connected to a simple battery.

@Leon Whilst I had heard of Google Photos, I had never used it until yesterday when I looked at your album.  :thankyousign: A good idea to keep photographs in one place where others can see them. I agree with your comments about a shoe box full of old photographs. I have a lot of old photo's scanned into the computer - another album?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2019, 09:05:09 AM »
Excellent idea, David.

I really enjoyed looking through your album; thank you.

I just wish that I could take photographs as well as you (not to mention modelling to your high standard).

Inspirational stuff.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2019, 05:58:27 PM »
@Train Waiting  Okay John, I can take credit for the modelling, (although I have picked up plenty of tips on this 'ere forum  ;)), but the photographs are mainly down to the camera. I have a Canon 720 and usually just have it on 'Auto', although following yet more tips from the forum, I am starting to experiment with Aperture Priority.
David.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2019, 10:07:00 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Many thanks David, all looking superb.   
     regards Derek.

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »
It seems a while since I updated the thread, mainly because the farmhouse was scratch built and the barn was a kit that I altered, but here goes -

We now come to the next chapter, which mainly concerns the Farm –

PART XV

Angus McDonald, (his Great Grandfather originally came from Scotland), now owns the farm. He has always been known as ‘Young McDonald’ as his Father, Finlay, was always known as ‘Old McDonald’ for some reason. The current farmhouse was built by Fraser McDonald, the Grandfather of  Angus,  in the early 1900’s and subsequently extended.

Fraser McDonald, at one time, owned hundreds of acres in the area and the main crops were wheat and barley. Most of the farmland was on the other side of ‘the mountain’. He also had a number of beef cattle although, strangely enough, given the fact that ‘Wakefield Dairies’ were not that far away, he never went in for dairy farming.  Daniel and Edward Wakefield offered to help set him up with a dairy herd and the requisite equipment, but Fraser could never be persuaded. Between the two World Wars a lot of the land on the other side of ‘the mountain’ was sold, the majority of it being for houses.

Angus McDonald sold a small parcel of land, adjoining the Manor House on the other side of the two main rail lines, to facilitate the building of the new railway maintenance depot. Angus, who lives with his wife Mary, now just owns the land between the main rail lines and the harbour, along with three fields on the other side of ‘the mountain’. These three fields are used only to grow fodder, although, following the success of the recent open day at the S.T.E.A.M. railway, it had already been agreed between Angus and Sir Andrew Cooke that one of the fields would be used for parking, when the heritage railway was fully under way, (for a suitable remuneration!).

In the 1920’s, Finlay McDonald bought a few Highland Cattle from another farmer who had decided to retire, as both his sons had been killed in what was called ‘The Great War’. Finlay looked after his animals and within a decade, the quality of the beef from his cattle was known far and wide. One day, Finlay was visited by Sir Donald Cooke,  who had a proposition. Following a few meetings, Finlay had one of his cattle taken to a local abattoir and the meat was whisked off to London by the first available train. A few weeks later, Finlay was visited by a lawyer from London, who had in his possession a contract to supply two Highland Cattle per month to an abattoir in London. Finlay immediately contacted Sir Donald and a meeting was arranged in a private room at ‘The Duchess’ public house that very evening. Following the meeting, it was agreed  that Finlay would sign the contract and the Solicitor agreed that the contract would become effective in 60 days time. A private spur line would be constructed from the goods line that served the harbour, with the help of Sir Donald, who would take a small percentage of any profits. The Solicitor had been acting on behalf of the Directors of Fortnum, Mason and Harrod, a rather exclusive store in London that catered for the wealthy and titled. It was said that no matter how much something cost, if a customer was prepared to pay, anything could be provided.

Angus now concentrates on the Highland Cattle and receives a healthy cheque every quarter. He also has a few sheep and pigs which, when necessary, are sent to the local abattoir. There is also a small field in which strawberries are grown and Mary McDonald sells them to the local residents and occasionally she has a small stall at the roadside. She makes jam with some of the fruit which she gives to some of the people in the village, much to the chagrin of Mr. Arkwright, the local shopkeeper. Mary has been heard to say, on more than one occasion, "I am going to have Strawberry Fields Forever".

The farm is run just by Angus and Mary, although Sydney James, the handyman/gardener and sometimes chauffeur at the Manor House, does help out a couple of times a week.

Here are a few photographs showing the farm and these, along with some others, have been added to my album on Google https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN1Hmnu8Vhs8ZkI6dtNNQo8qwEgRLeSuOC1Nan168RUE2Mu2Sts0U2gNDlZafVg3w?key=Qi1RclhoTXh5QlVZQVdPVmQxbzY0RzBSQU5sQU5R

This first picture shows most of the farm and how it lies in relation to the maintenance depot on the left and the harbour on the right -

This second picture shows Angus moving a bale of hay passing the strawberry fields -

This picture shows the barn, with bales of hay outside that are waiting to be taken under cover -

This picture shows the prized Highland Cattle -

And finally we have another view of the layout of the farm -

This link takes you to my thread on constructing the farmhouse -
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=46039.msg581413#msg581413 )
The barn in the farmyard is a ‘Scale Model Scenery’ kit https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/laser-cut-open-sided-barn-n2mm1148-437-p.asp that I have altered a bit by adding walls and reducing the size of the base. The walls are made of ‘Vollmer’ embossed card glued back to back, topped off with grey painted 1.5mm x 2mm plastic strip.
David.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2019, 05:47:44 PM »
 :greatpicturessign: and excellent modelling David.  :beers:

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2019, 06:40:39 PM »
:greatpicturessign: and excellent modelling David.  :beers:

Seconded!

And very fine Hielan' coos.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2019, 07:05:30 PM »
Great story and lovely pictures David.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2019, 05:02:40 PM »
Fab photos, great modelling.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2019, 08:15:48 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
 Superb story David, really like the farmyard, all looking excellent.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
    regards Derek

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2019, 01:41:44 PM »
Hi David,

Sorry I've been out of touch for a bit, hope you're enjoying the Bank Holiday

I'm loving the pics you have been putting up. the modelling is excellent, and the detailing round the farm is great.

Also loving the Manor House. I'm not a great fan of card kits, what you have done however is fab. Adding the ivy and other details really makes it look good, and the maze in the grounds is a great touch. I'm glad Averingcliffe is nowhere near Windmill Hill, as the patrons of my pub would spend days wandering round and round in there while trying to find their way home  :D

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

PS, Will send you a PM about Mr Padley's Garage in a bit  ;)

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2019, 02:22:24 PM »
@Phoenix Hi Kevin, many thanks for those comments, which, coming from the man who has created Windmill Hill, is really appreciated.  The Manor House is as you say, a card kit, being the 'Manor House Farm' house from Metcalfe. I extended it a bit and added another bit that came with the kit. - my first full 'kit bash'.  The patrons of the pub on Windmill Hill are welcome for a tour round my village, finishing off with a pint or two in 'The Duchess'?  :beers:
David.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal