!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Newbie Curmudgion  (Read 273 times)

Offline Fletcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28291
    • Awards
A Newbie Curmudgion
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:31:46 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to railway modeling so I'm generally going to sit in the corner, keep quiet, and learn and occasionally ask a stupid question or two....
Oh, and I do have that murder to plan. 😃

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
Re: A Newbie Curmudgion
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 09:42:13 PM »
Curmudgeon eh?

Well, you're gonna fit in a treat here!

;D

Welcome to the forum and ask away, someone will always give you an answer.

:thumbsup:
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:49:32 PM »
Hmmm.......curmudgion is it.
Welcome aboard.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
Hi Fletcher and welcome to the forum. You sit in a corner if you want, but take a cushion, it will be more comfy. :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »
Hi Fletcher and welcome aboard! :wave: Your seat in the quiet carriage awaits. :D
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 10:20:25 PM »
G'day from Australia, Fletcher, and welcome to the NGF! :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 07:00:26 AM »
Welcome! Lots to learn, and plenty to talk about!  :) :thumbsup:  Hope you enjoy the forum.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 10:52:14 AM »
Hi Fletcher, and welcome to the forum :wave:
We'd like to hear more of your plans like what space you have available, any particular era/location. DC/DCC etc. Here's something to read while you're sat in the corner.....

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493

Signed
Mr. Mackay >:D

Offline Fletcher

• N Gauge Society Number: 28291
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
Hi Fletcher, and welcome to the forum :wave:
We'd like to hear more of your plans like what space you have available, any particular era/location. DC/DCC etc. Here's something to read while you're sat in the corner.....

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493

Signed
Mr. Mackay >:D

Thank you to all for the warm welcome.
The link you provided Nobby has good sensible stuff in it, thanks. Im currently ploughing my way through the N Gauge Society handbook. There are the occasional peaks of interest but its getting to be one of the best soporifics I have ever owned. ;)

Ok, brief history then. When I was about 10 years old, on Christmas morning my father unbolted the front room door which had had a lock fitted some months before, and revealed a model railway he had made for me. You couldn't drag me out of that room for the rest of the school holidays. Eventually, father decamped the set up to my bedroom, it taking fully half the room up.
For the next year or three I regularly played trains up there. Then one day something odd happened, I noticed that little girls were different to 'normal' people and my interest in model trains diminished with time.
Fast forward 60 years to a few months before this Christmas and I decided I needed a more sedentary hobby after breaking 4 ribs this past summer on a wind surfer. I have very little room so an 8x3 board was all I could manage. I jumped in with lots of 00 track, bought a Hornby starter set (DCC) and started to play. Adding a few engines and rolling stock off ebay and hard wiring decoders, I had fun and my wife regained control of the tv remote.
Now 8x3 in 00 is a bit limiting so instead of 'playing trains' with 00 I decided to scrap it all and start again in N gauge, but this would be a 'proper' model railway.
I spent a few years in America and traveled quite a bit so I have decided to model American. It will be based on a large coal fired power station Monroe Power Plant located in Monroe, Michigan, on the western shore of Lake Erie. The model will not be a copy but will be hacked about to my ideal. It will be serviced mainly by CSX, (only because I know one of their engineers) and will likely have a coal barge delivering to a quayside loading onto coal hoppers for delivery to the power station.
I'm going to split down to two 4x3 boards in the hope that I can add another 4x3 at a later date.
I took a layout plan from a peco plan book then ripped it to shreds in Anyrail (well worth the license fee) And ordered the peco track yesterday from Track shack. Im using peco track as much as anything because its made in the UK. I'm using an NCE Controller having thrown the hornby one onto ebay. In fact the one thing I have learned so far is that anything hornby should be left in the box.

I had better stop now before I start to put everyone to sleep.  :)

Oh, one last thing, I want depth so I am covering the board with 2 inch thick styrene insulating board so I can dig out a creek and barge loading dock on the lake side. I also joined my local model railway club foolishly telling them what I had in mind they want this as an exhibition layout, I have until August, easy, eh?

Offline NScaleNotes

• NScaleNotes
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
Welcome  :wave:

Sounds like an interesting layout and good luck.
Now bear in mind this is only what I've read on threads over the years, but many layout builders say having a deadlines helped them focus and complete things faster, so it may not be bad to have the August deadline.

I hope you'll post regular updates and if so look forward to watching the layout develop.

Simon
http://nscalenotes.com/
My blog real-World locations that might make interesting layouts, modules or dioramas.

Find out more about my N scale 3D printed tanktainer models:
http://nscalenotes.com/category/modelideas/scratchbuilding/3dprinting/

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything