!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Station T Lamps made from plasticard  (Read 484 times)

Offline nookfield

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Station T Lamps made from plasticard
« on: January 05, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »
Construction of station platform T lamps

A prototype T lamp at Yarmouth Station

These lamps only cost a few pence each and are very easy to make

Materials 

Plastruct part numbers in brackets

0.8mm square rod (MS-30)
1.0mm square rod (MS-40)
0.3mm * 1.0mm styrene strip(MS-104)
0.3mm * 1.5mm styrene strip (MS-106)
Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan
Liquid plastic glue

Tools

0.5mm drill bit (or a small pin)
Modelling knife
Sanding stick or file

Method

Cut 11mm length of 1.0mm square rod. Carefully shape the ends of the rod giving a slight slant and a curve into the bottom edge. In the centre of the bottom drill a 0.5mm hole. This is the light  cover and will remain white

Cut 11.5mm length from the 1.0 and 1.5mm styrene strip. Glue them together placing the 1.00 in the centre of the 1.5mm strip. This forms the top of the light

Cut a length of 0.8mm square rod for the post. I have used 40mm as the post will be going through the platform to the baseboard. Check prototype photos of the height required as they varied a lot. I will be having aprox. 24mm above the platform. Using a modelling knife trim the very end of the rod removing the corners so it will snuggly fit in the 0.5mm hole drilled in the 1.0mm square rod.

At this stage I painted the post and top pieces in Deck Tan.  From looking at photos some had a dark grey top.

Glue the top onto the light cover, it should overhang by 0.25mm on each side.
Glue the post in place making sure that the angle between the post and top are 90 degrees.

For the station name I used Rail Alphabet font size 3pt with a space left between each letter.  Older lamps had the station name in capitals and newer lamps hade mixed case. The names was then printed on paper and carefully trimmed and glued on using pva.

The 4 pieces of plasticard cut to length

Hole drilled in lamp, the two strips have been glued together and the end of the post has been reduced in size to fit in the hole

Lamp glued to the top

Gluing the lamp to the post ensuring it is square

Station name NOOKFIELD applied. This was only the second T lamp that I made.

Obligatory picture next to a coin to show the size
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:19:33 PM by nookfield »

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
Re: Station T Lamps made from plasticard
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 06:50:23 AM »
Nice Tutorial, I may have to buy some Plastruct...

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Old Crow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 12:30:46 AM »
Nicely done and very well explained thanks. I salute your skills. I wish there was a simple way to make old-style gas lamps; I'm going to need more than a few.

Offline OffshoreAlan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26950
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 03:24:51 PM »
Thank you. Came at the right time - as a newbie to the hobby (at the ripe old age of 76, but got bitten at a local show) I am constructing a small layout based on Sheringham station of the fifties/sixties and have been seeking this type of lamp everywhere.  Found how to achieve it at last - thanks again (just hope my eyesight/dexterity can cope  :) )

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here