!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)  (Read 10426 times)

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
Re: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)
« Reply #225 on: July 12, 2020, 02:35:24 PM »
Struggling to find much time for modelling at the moment due to work commitments, but I'm adding and shaping bits of clay and plaster when I can.  The station area is starting to come together: it is a shame I don't have a photo of the back of the signal box as I am not sure how access to the base of the box was arranged.  For now a couple more posed photos (being some way off running trains at the moment):

By 1961 ex-LMS locomotives were starting to appear on the Waverley Route, with the section south of Riddings Junction having come under London Midland Region control in 1959.  Mostly Black Fives and "Crabs": one of the latter, 42832 of Carlisle Kingmoor, ambles downhill through Stobs station and across the viaduct with a Canal - Niddrie transfer freight.  Bogie parcels vans in goods trains seem to have been a Waverley Route "thing".

Richard

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2020, 08:26:05 AM »
Just caught up with your progress Richard,

I like your terra forming and appreciate the fragility issue that might arise if you're going to cart your layout around.

My layout is comprised of shaped extruded polystyrene blocks covered by plaster bandage as you have done. On top of all that I have a generally thin layer of a substance called Scuptamold that allows me to provide detailed shape to the terrain including rock formations. Sculptamold is sort of like plaster in that it is mixed with water and shaped in place, and sets after a while  but it contains fibrous material that provides strength. It is tough and is somewhat flexible unlike plaster so I think it would be a lot more resistant to cracking. Brilliant stuff IMO. I had originally intended to cover my scenery with Hydrocal plaster but switched to Sculptamold as it was much less messy and was easier to use. I've got a 20 kg bag of Hydrocal virtully full if anyone wants it.

Webbo
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:07:54 PM by Webbo, Reason: Spelling error Sculptamold »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2020, 08:31:42 AM »
G'day @belstone , nowt wrong with posing trains.

The scenes look great!  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to more!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2020, 12:17:16 PM »
I agree, great to see prototypical trains posed on the layout with a little LMS infiltration, albeit thankfully the majority of freights continued to be hauled by LNER derived power until the end of steam, surprising in itself since Canal Shed closed in 1963!

Roy

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2020, 01:28:22 PM »
Stunning work so far. Really good work on the viaduct

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #230 on: August 03, 2020, 09:33:39 PM »
A tiny bit more modelling (literally):

The North British Railway built its platelayers' huts from timber rather than the more durable materials favoured by other railway companies.  Tight as a duck's bottom the NB directors were, but these huts were heavily creosoted and lasted a long time even in exposed locations.  A few still survive today.  This one was knocked up out of Plastikard from a couple of photos and an educated guess as to overall size: just needs painting to finish it off. Just the kind of detail that helps nail down the location, even when no trains are running.

Richard

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »
A tiny bit more modelling (literally):

The North British Railway built its platelayers' huts from timber rather than the more durable materials favoured by other railway companies.  Tight as a duck's bottom the NB directors were, but these huts were heavily creosoted and lasted a long time even in exposed locations.  A few still survive today.  This one was knocked up out of Plastikard from a couple of photos and an educated guess as to overall size: just needs painting to finish it off. Just the kind of detail that helps nail down the location, even when no trains are running.

Richard

Lovely stuff Richard! Are we starting a competition to see who can model the smallest building possible?!  :smiley-laughing:

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2020, 09:07:51 PM »
Bachmann have given me something to think about, with the revival of the DJM Clayton project.  I didn't see that coming.  Claytons were a big part of the Waverley Route in its last few years, but only from 1964, three years after the date I have chosen for Stobs.

I think I will run two separate periods on the layout, 1961 and 1966.  Regular steam workings over Whitrope ended at the start of 1966 but steam could still be seen covering for diesel failures (of which there were plenty) and also on various specials.  Diesels - classes 17, 24, 25, 26, 37, 40, 45, 46 and 47 all worked the line regularly.  The new corporate blue livery was starting to appear with the odd blue/grey coach breaking up the maroon sets. 

In reality, Stobs lost its goods facilities, platform shelter and signalbox in 1961 so the layout won't be quite right for the later period.  I can live with that.

Richard

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2020, 10:48:09 PM »
Bachmann have given me something to think about, with the revival of the DJM Clayton project.  I didn't see that coming.  Claytons were a big part of the Waverley Route in its last few years, but only from 1964, three years after the date I have chosen for Stobs.

I think I will run two separate periods on the layout, 1961 and 1966.  Regular steam workings over Whitrope ended at the start of 1966 but steam could still be seen covering for diesel failures (of which there were plenty) and also on various specials.  Diesels - classes 17, 24, 25, 26, 37, 40, 45, 46 and 47 all worked the line regularly.  The new corporate blue livery was starting to appear with the odd blue/grey coach breaking up the maroon sets. 

In reality, Stobs lost its goods facilities, platform shelter and signalbox in 1961 so the layout won't be quite right for the later period.  I can live with that.

Richard

I was surprised to see the revival of the Clayton as well (although I'll exercise financial restraint and not purchase one).

I wouldn't worry too much about the changes post 1961, as long as you're happy running them its all fine.  :)

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2020, 10:58:52 PM »

I was surprised to see the revival of the Clayton as well (although I'll exercise financial restraint and not purchase one).

I wouldn't worry too much about the changes post 1961, as long as you're happy running them its all fine.  :)

I think a Clayton in Hertfordshire might be stretching reality a bit too far.  But if Bachmann follow it up with DJM's other diesel project, the Baby Deltic, you'll have the same problem as me.

Richard

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2020, 08:54:09 AM »
I think a Clayton in Hertfordshire might be stretching reality a bit too far.  But if Bachmann follow it up with DJM's other diesel project, the Baby Deltic, you'll have the same problem as me.

You're probably right about a Clayton in Hertfordshire, especially on a layout set c.30 years before the first one entered service!  ;D

I wouldn't have a problem if a Baby Deltic came out, the class doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid...

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2020, 09:03:21 AM »

You're probably right about a Clayton in Hertfordshire, especially on a layout set c.30 years before the first one entered service!  ;D

I wouldn't have a problem if a Baby Deltic came out, the class doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid...

I have a maroon Quad-Art set that your Baby Deltic could pull....

(Runs for cover).

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2020, 09:09:12 AM »

It's not my fault that you made the mistake of not painting the Quads in teak!  :doh: :smiley-laughing:

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2020, 09:35:14 AM »

It's not my fault that you made the mistake of not painting the Quads in teak!  :doh: :smiley-laughing:

If I had decided to I would still be on the first coach!

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #239 on: August 16, 2020, 02:17:06 PM »
I have got seriously bored with forming landscapes out of clay and plaster.  It is taking forever, everything is covered in dust and I have been struggling to motivate myself to keep going.  So I decided to experiment with a bit of ground cover.  I don't know what exactly was to the north-eastern side of the viaduct, all I have is an aerial photo from 1945 which shows a triangle of open ground.  So I have gone for rough pasture with a few wildflowers:

Mixture of Woodland scenics fine foam, static grass and flock, glued down, vacuumed lightly to lift the fibres (I don't have much luck with static grass applicators) and then a coat of hairspray.  Only a first pass here, much still to do but at least it makes a change from plastering.  I'll have to cover it with a cloth to keep the dust out while I finish the landforms at the other end of the layout. 

Richard

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal