!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)  (Read 10606 times)

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
Re: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2020, 12:11:42 PM »
Stobs could be a bleak and inhospitable place in mid-winter:

That's rather more than three-quarters of the basic contours done: just having a cup of tea and then I'm off to the DIY store for a sheet of plywood to make up the front panels.  Then I can finish off the cutting behind the Up platform and start plastering.

All this white stuff is POP bandage, laid dry and then brushed with water (as recommended by Barry Norman in "Landscape Modelling").  I am applying overlapping layers in one direction, then reinforcing it with more widely spaced strips running crossways.  Once this has dried thoroughly I will build up the edges etc as needed with DAS modelling clay (as I have started doing with the viaduct) then coat the whole lot with a mix of casting plaster, PVA and brown paint pigment.  The pigment is so that if the plaster chips it doesn't show up white.

Richard

Online DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »

This is looking really good Richard.

Your comment about winter - did you ever think about modelling Stobs in the grip of a borders winter - I don't think I've seen a WR layout in the depths of winter.

Cheers
Dave

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2020, 03:31:01 PM »
did you ever think about modelling Stobs in the grip of a borders winter - I don't think I've seen a WR layout in the depths of winter.

An interesting idea. Having driven the A7 many times with snow all around, I can confirm how magnificent it all looks under the cloudless blue skies that often follow the snow falls. The hills keep their snow long after the low ground thaws, so it wouldn't need all the buildings, track and trains to be sugar-frosted.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:Maridunian's Models

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2020, 07:41:24 PM »
Stobs in the snow would make a fabulous model:  I have several unpublished photos of the station in midwinter.  I'm not sure how well a white landscape would age though: I suspect the accumulation of dust would gradually turn it grey.

Richard

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2020, 09:41:19 PM »
Inspirational work Richard, already it is starting to capture the bleakness of the area, and when finished to the standard I know it will be I think it is likely be by far the most authentic N gauge Waverley Route layout on the circuit (and in this I do include the rather fine Riddings Junction (1964) layout of many years back).

Roy

That is very kind of you Roy.  I'm certainly trying to get things right as far as I can.  I have just been re-reading an old magazine article from the mid 1970s where the late David Jenkinson put forward his ideas on how to create a model railway with atmosphere.  I doubt whether "Stobs" will do for the Waverley Route what "Garsdale Road" did for the S&C, but hopefully I will end up with a layout which answers Jenkinson's three questions - where, who (i.e. which railway company) and when.

Richard

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: July 05, 2020, 01:05:19 PM »
Still plugging away at scenery:

I have finally finished the last bit of wire-and-bandage base, the Up side cutting behind the station platform.  This is the boundary of the grounds of Stobs Castle and will be planted with trees.  There was a private gated walkway leading from the footbridge to the top of the cutting, with a footpath through the woods to the castle itself.

I have started the plaster coating and I cannot believe how much scenic material this layout is soaking up.  I thought 1.5 kilos would be enough to do the whole lot but I have run out of plaster.  While I am waiting for more to arrive I can do a bit of shaping and filling with DAS clay, and I also need to construct a farm access bridge to form a scenic break at the southern end.  In reality this structure was about half a mile further south, but I doubt many people will know that.

Looking at the latest photos I would say I have achieved what I set out to do here: build a model of a railway running through a landscape.  If you took the railway away altogether it would still work as a model, although probably not as interesting to look at.

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: July 05, 2020, 02:11:56 PM »
This is going to make a wonderful place for trainspotting and taking pics of trains :drool:

Offline degsy_safc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2020, 07:24:39 PM »
Looks great Richard, canít wait to see the trains trundling through the landscape, the photos are going to look pretty spectacular  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: July 05, 2020, 07:37:13 PM »
Richard,

The landscape keeps improving week on week, you should be well and truly plastered by now  :no:
Looking forward to seeing the greenery etc, what a difference that will make

stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: July 05, 2020, 08:06:54 PM »
Excellent progress.
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: July 05, 2020, 09:11:34 PM »
I've just been catching up on your progress Richard, excellent stuff! I can only hope that Hadley Wood looks somewhere near this standard when I reach the point you have.

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2020, 10:00:59 PM »
Thank you everyone for your comments.  It really encourages me to get on and do some more work on the layout.  I can't believe how long it is taking me to construct what is basically an oval with one siding.  I have no idea how people find the time to build big station models with about fifty turnouts and dozens of buildings.  Maybe I'm just a slow worker. 

@Newportnobby there will be plenty of trains to see, I promise you that.  The Waverley Route in 1961 had an astonishing variety of motive power, mainly ex LNER admittedly, but regular visitors to Stobs in summer 1961 included A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, K3, V2, D34, D49, J35, J36, J37, J39, BR Standard 2MT and 4MT, occasional ex LMS types (mainly Ivatt 4MTs, Crabs and Black Fives) and the first diesels on the route (classes 26 and 45).  That should provide a bit of variety.  I chose summer '61 for a reason:  by that time the big Pacifics were being replaced by diesels on the East Coast Main Line, and could turn up on pretty much any working from fast freights to Edinburgh-Carlisle all stations stoppers. 

Richard

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2020, 10:09:54 PM »
I can't believe how long it is taking me to construct what is basically an oval with one siding.  I have no idea how people find the time to build big station models with about fifty turnouts and dozens of buildings.  Maybe I'm just a slow worker. 

Richard,
Definitely not a slow worker, meticulous maybe.

Look at Hillsden I am still building it after 27 years, now that is slow

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: July 05, 2020, 10:45:10 PM »
Quick question: has anyone tried reinforcing their scenery with polyester resin?  (the stuff used for making glassfibre things like boats and Reliant Robins)  I'm finding that even with a thin coat of plaster on top, the mesh and bandage scenic base is very fragile and I can't see it standing up to life on the exhibition circuit.  My idea is to turn the boards upside-down and paint the underside of the mesh with polyester resin to give a light but tough scenic "shell".  Polyester resin is horrible smelly sticky stuff and if I try doing this in the house, I'm dead.

Richard

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2020, 11:58:58 PM »
I was watching a TV programme today about the Waverley route and it showed Stobs Station and the fact that there was a nearby POW camp during the first world war - the platforms are still there and what is left of the footbridge, mainly the steel work. I hope when you complete this I will be able to see it at an exhibition - outstanding work, I hope you solve the fragility problem.

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal