!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)  (Read 6093 times)

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
Re: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2020, 09:40:54 AM »
That subtle curve looks great and very realistic - begs the question why most layouts have perfect straights at all!

Before retirement I was based in Edinburgh and drove down to a branch office in Galashiels every few weeks. The A7 tracks the Waverley route, which when I started in 2011 had no track at all. Over my 6 years in post the line was restored and before I retired I was able to let the train take the strain. I can confirm that the northern end of the route also has very few straight sections as much of it follows the "Gala water" valley.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Online Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2020, 10:32:40 AM »
That subtle curve looks great and very realistic - begs the question why most layouts have perfect straights at all!

Mike

I agree, curved track makes a big difference to any layout.

Unless of course you are modelling the main line into Hull aside the banks of the Humber then it is straight track for miles

Stay Safe and well

Mike H  8)

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2020, 11:21:26 AM »
Up line through the station now lifted and realigned.  The track came away very easily using a scalpel blade under the sleepers: as with the real railway, the ballast will play an important role in keeping the track where it should be.

While the glue is drying, a taste of things to come:  a B1, 61184 of St Margarets, clanks across the viaduct with a Niddrie-Canal Class E freight. As the train heads through the station the exhaust of the B1 will gradually give way to the sharp bark of a J36 at the back which will bank the train to Whitrope.  V2s and Pacifics normally worked these trains single handed: the lesser B1s and K3s generally needed a banker. These transfer freights between Edinburgh and Carlisle were the lifeblood of the Waverley Route and I will have to build an awful lot of wagons.

Richard

That looks superb Richard, this is really going to be a layout to be proud of.

The freight is so typical of many pictures I have seen and I can just visualise my own sound fitted B1 echoing over the viaduct with J39 as banker making an equal amount of noise at the rear or the syncopated beat of A2 "Bachelors Button" pounding up the bank on its own!

Roy
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:22:54 AM by Roy L S »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »

I agree, curved track makes a big difference to any layout.

Unless of course you are modelling the main line into Hull aside the banks of the Humber then it is straight track for miles

Stay Safe and well

Mike H  8)

18 miles between Selby and Hull. Tonbridge to Ashford is 24 nearly-straight miles.

Best Wishes

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2020, 10:25:08 PM »
Thank you everyone for your encouraging words. There's a very long way to go yet.  I suspect I will be spending this weekend wiring the two scenic boards - eight connectors of various kinds, seven busbars and assorted relay and control boards.  All for a section of plain double track with one siding.  I also have to make up various connecting cables (including some with "twisted pair" cables buried in them for the DCC handset sockets).  At that point, with luck, I will be able to run a locomotive over the viaduct.  After that, scenic contours.  Chicken wire and plaster-soaked bandages, or shaped polystyrene blocks?  I've never attempted landscaping on this scale before.

Richard

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: May 20, 2020, 08:45:51 AM »
Most of the scenic work on 'Averingcliffe' was done by using shaped polystyrene with plaster bandage on top. Plaster bandage I found to be very therapeutic, if a bit messy! You could try both your methods on a bit of scrap board first to see which you prefer.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: May 20, 2020, 08:55:53 AM »
Most of the scenic work on 'Averingcliffe' was done by using shaped polystyrene with plaster bandage on top. Plaster bandage I found to be very therapeutic, if a bit messy! You could try both your methods on a bit of scrap board first to see which you prefer.
I always think its really interesting that as modellers we find so many different ways to do so the same thing. Plaster bandage I tried many many years ago and I didnt like the reslts (but I agree its very therapueutic), ive also used expanded foam, packing polystyrene, toilet rolls,  ceiling tiles, ply wood, chicken wire etc etc. My preferred method now is to use woven card covered in kitchen towel soaked in pva as advocated by Tony Wright. Its just another method.
Northallerton will make its next public appearance sometime after LOCKDOWN

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2020, 07:43:18 PM »
Another milestone today...

Having installed and wired up all the droppers, busbars, inter-board connectors and the feed socket from the DCC station I can finally run trains the full length of the layout.  Some very typical Waverley Route motive power here, with A1 Pacific 60162 "Saint Johnstoun" testing the Down line, and the still unfinished V2 (60882) and J36 (65331) just coming off the viaduct in the Up direction.  I had to tweak the check rails on the turnout slightly as 60162's driving wheels were catching: the part soldered, part glued construction makes minor adjustments fairly easy.  I have installed the actuating servos for the turnout and catch point although I don't yet have the control boards for them.

Next job is to put in the uncouplers, then I can ballast the track which should keep me out of mischief for the rest of the Bank Holiday.

Richard

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
Another milestone

Congratulations on your milestone, it is always satisfying when you can get your trains running

Good luck with the ballasting

Mike H  8)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal