!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)  (Read 10616 times)

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
Re: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 07:38:26 PM »
The annual Stobs project report, typed while listening to one of Peter Handford's classic recordings, a knackered St Margarets V2 hammering up through Steele Road on a Carlisle-Edinburgh passenger train, more noise from the conrod bearings than the exhaust....

Embarrassingly little to report really.  I still haven't started the baseboards, but over Christmas I set to work on the signal box, embossed Plastikard over a mounting card inner shell, built from my own drawings based on a couple of photos.  Plenty still to do but it is coming on, or was until I ran out of scalpel blades.

I have also had another look at the storage loops.  The layout was originally supposed to fit along one wall of the spare bedroom and as a result the loops used Setrack points and minimum 9" radius curves.  I've now decided to build this as a pure exhibition layout, so I have increased the board size and reworked it using large radius points and a minimum 12" radius.  The scenic section has also gained another 6" in length.

Finally I have made a start on the drawings for the station house, using 2D CAD as I did with the signalbox. There's a lot of guesswork here: I have only one very blurred photo of the north end of the building and aerial shots of the back, but I'm fairly happy with the rest.

I am currently contemplating lighting, wondering whether blue LED light strips will give me a moonlit effect and allow me to run a full 24 hour train sequence. Hopefully it will be less than a year until the next progress report...

Richard

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 11:13:48 AM »
The Stobs Project just moved up a couple of gears.  Firstly I have been sent some unpublished photos of the station buildings with all kinds of details of which I was unaware - not least the presence of a cast iron Victorian urinal opposite the ticket office. I now know what the north end of the station house looks like as well.

Secondly I have just been out and picked up a large table saw, almost unused at a good price.  I will be spending New Year's Day doing CAD drawings of the baseboard components.  I'm planning to use open frame ply-beam boards ( @kirky  I believe you used this design for Northallerton - any comments?) so I'll have a lot of components to make up - four boards, with the two end loop boards hinged for ease of transport.

The last train through Stobs (apart from track lifting trains) was an inspection saloon hauled by D5307 (class 26 diesel) on 1st April 1970.  https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/59/19/ Will I be able to recreate that event in time for the 50th anniversary? I have the train (albeit in the wrong livery). 

Richard
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 11:15:07 AM by belstone »

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 11:37:48 AM »
Hi Richard
Happy new year.
I have a table saw which I rarely use these days. But itís a really useful bit of kit for doing repeat cuts and getting accurate timbers. When you make your girders, itís almost certainly best if you make a jig. Or even jigs. I made a jig to assemble the girders and get the infill pieces at the same position. Then I made a jig for assembling the girders into a frame. This was a very simple affair which held two girders at right angles whilst I screwed them together. I also made a third jig to get the three screws in line and evenly spaced on each joint although this was just to satisfy my analness.
Looking forward to progress Richard. Also looking forward to having you back in Redcar sometime.
Cheers
Kirky
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 01:34:30 PM by kirky »
Northallerton will make its next public appearance sometime after LOCKDOWN

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 07:31:13 PM »
Hi Richard
Happy new year.
I have a table saw which I rarely use these days. But itís a really useful bit of kit for doing repeat cuts and getting accurate timbers. When you make your girders, itís almost certainly best if you make a jig. Or even jigs. I made a jig to assemble the girders and get the infill pieces at the same position. Then I made a jig for assembling the girders into a frame. This was a very simple affair which held two girders at right angles whilst I screwed them together. I also made a third jig to get the three screws in line and evenly spaced on each joint although this was just to satisfy my analness.
Looking forward to progress Richard. Also looking forward to having you back in Redcar sometime.
Cheers
Kirky

Thanks for that, and happy new year to you as well.  I like the idea of jigs: there will be four boards, two of which are hinged for ease of transport, and they will have to be far more accurate than any woodworking I have ever done before.  I'm still drawn to the idea of welded aluminium frames, but I want to get on now and build the layout, so I'll stick to tried and tested methods.

When I get this layout built I promise you can have it for Redcar if you want it.

Richard

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 12:04:39 AM »
Modelling a real location is full of unforeseen horrors.  I have been working on baseboard design again this evening and realised two things:

1. The gradient through the station is 1 in 65.  I knew this.  The problem is that the goods siding is level (which makes sense when you think about it).  The difference in trackbed height between the main line and the end of the siding is quite noticeable.  So I either build the entire scenic section on a slope (which creates problems with the baseboards and also possibly haulage issues on Carlisle-bound trains) or build the layout flat, put a slope on the siding and have wagons tending to roll into the buffer stops.

2.  The four-arch viaduct (the centrepiece of the layout) is on a slight curve.  There is a continuous curve from a few hundred yards north of the viaduct to somewhere south of the station.  Bang goes my idea of cheating and using a Ratio viaduct kit.  I'll have to scratchbuild it.

First timbers will be cut for the baseboards tomorrow.  After forty years of planning and dreaming, my Waverley Route layout is finally happening.

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:

Richard

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 05:29:12 AM »
I may be being dim but if you build the board flat in the immediate station area then the siding will be flat surely. Then you can put in your 1 in 65 gradient as normal.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 07:52:11 AM »
I may be being dim but if you build the board flat in the immediate station area then the siding will be flat surely. Then you can put in your 1 in 65 gradient as normal.

J

Just been looking at this enlargement of a photo (by A G Ellis, 1955) and it might be less of a problem than I imagined.  Look at the platform height to the left of the goods wagon.  If that was a BR box van you wouldn't be able to open the doors that side: the siding rail height is a good six inches below the running lines at this point. But what is six inches in N gauge?  1mm  ;D The gradient changes from 1 in 250 to 1 in 65 at some point around Stobs: I now reckon the gradient change is to the south of the station. Published gradient maps show the change to the north of the station.  I suspect that all the maps are wrong... So I can build the whole thing flat and put a tiny slope on the siding which shouldn't allow anything to run away.

Richard

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 08:09:56 AM »
This looks fantastic, Richard.  That A G Ellis photograph is wonderful.

The Board of Trade didn't like stations on steep gradients.  It is often noticeable how a gradient eases through a station and then steepens again.

I think a slope into the siding and then the rest of the siding level will do the trick.  Owing to the location of the passenger platform, much of the difference in levels will be able to be suggested by optical illusion, taking into account the principal viewing angle.

It's wonderful to see a Waverley Route layout taking shape.  I can't see the 1:1 line from here, but I can hear the steam excursions climbing to Falahill.  One was worked by a 'Black Five' and it was particularly audible! 

I'm looking forward to seeing progress.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 08:22:53 AM »
Embarrassingly, I'm just catching up with this.  :-[

Awesome stuff.  :thumbsup:

For what it's worth, my layout grew like topsy, and I put in a siding on a slope. When I realised that, I propped up the end of it with cork to level it off, and the slight change in level was pleasing to the eye when sceniced.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 08:31:16 AM »

The Board of Trade didn't like stations on steep gradients.  It is often noticeable how a gradient eases through a station and then steepens again.

Slightly off topic but there was a nasty accident at Stobs in 1871 when a goods train being shunted at Shankend ran away down the bank and collided with another goods train approaching Stobs.  Lt Col Hutchinson was not impressed by the practice of fly-shunting wagons on a steeply graded main line.

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BoT_Stobs1871.pdf

Richard

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 10:16:12 PM »
I spent a couple of hours today cutting 6mm plywood into 3" strips and chopping up softwood into 3" square blocks ready to start making up the beams for the baseboard frames.  But a big pile of bits of wood isn't really very interesting to look at, so here's something else instead.  I printed out the track plan full-size in Templot, stuck all the sheets together with sticky tape and laid them out on the railway room floor with my half-finished buildings and a few bits of rolling stock. 

That's an eight coach train in the first two photos.  Bear in mind that the baseboards will be 2'6" wide with most of the depth behind the line itself and you can start to maybe get a feel for the sense of space I am aiming for.  The loco is just short of the start of the viaduct.

A typical Carlisle-Edinburgh formation: type 2 diesel, four coaches and a parcels van. Back edge of the baseboard will be about where that stripey box is. 

It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get all the baseboard components ready to assemble, mainly due to a shortage of G clamps.  I can only make up two beams at a time, then I have to clamp them and leave the glue to set for 24 hours. But I've made a start anyway.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2020, 10:25:32 AM »
Good start Richard. Like trains, you can never have too many clamps!
So presumably Stobs will be in Finetrax N gauge but built to NMRA standards? I would imagine you'll reuse some of the stock from Longframlington?
I've been looking on Google Earth and Stobs is not a familiar place to me - I'm struggling to see the route of the line. Any chance of a map or two?
Cheers
Kirky

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2020, 11:01:05 AM »
So presumably Stobs will be in Finetrax N gauge but built to NMRA standards? I would imagine you'll reuse some of the stock from Longframlington?
I've been looking on Google Earth and Stobs is not a familiar place to me - I'm struggling to see the route of the line. Any chance of a map or two?
Cheers
Kirky

In some ways it is a step backwards - Finetrax, but with 7.45mm back to back and larger crossing clearances.  The reason is there is only one turnout in the scenic section and around fifteen in the storage loops.  All the storage loop track will be Peco Streamline to save time, and Peco points aren't happy with a 7.65mm back to back setting.  Also I don't fancy having to regauge a load of Pacifics, V2s etc. 

I'll be salvaging a couple of locos from Longframlington - B1 and BRCW type 2 for certain, possibly the J39 and J35.  There is however another problem which is that I will probably be going DCC for various reasons, and my older oddball locos don't really have room to install a chip easily. I already have tucked away in a drawer an A1, A2, A3 and V2, all picked up cheap at various times for this project.  All except the V2 are DCC-ready.

Some useful links:

http://disused-stations.org.uk/s/stobs/index.shtml
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/350500/609700/10/101324

Richard

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2020, 11:23:10 AM »
Cheers
Kirky

In some ways it is a step backwards - Finetrax, but with 7.45mm back to back and larger crossing clearances.  The reason is there is only one turnout in the scenic section and around fifteen in the storage loops.  All the storage loop track will be Peco Streamline to save time, and Peco points aren't happy with a 7.65mm back to back setting.  Also I don't fancy having to regauge a load of Pacifics, V2s etc. 

I'll be salvaging a couple of locos from Longframlington - B1 and BRCW type 2 for certain, possibly the J39 and J35.  There is however another problem which is that I will probably be going DCC for various reasons, and my older oddball locos don't really have room to install a chip easily. I already have tucked away in a drawer an A1, A2, A3 and V2, all picked up cheap at various times for this project.  All except the V2 are DCC-ready.

Some useful links:

http://disused-stations.org.uk/s/stobs/index.shtml
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/350500/609700/10/101324

Richard

Hi Richard

It is all looking really good so far. As one familiar with station and surroundings from my various books on the Waverley Route, I am able to mentally fill in the blanks, and visualise the completed station, it really does have the right feel proportionately, and I can't wait to see some more progress.

You may be interested to know that DCC of the V2 can be done very simply by stripping out motor and internals including the idler gear from the loco and adding a B1 tender drive with DCC socket, no wiring needed, it is almost like it was designed for it. It benefits from the much stronger pulling power of the tender drive and is all totally reversible.

Regards

Roy

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2020, 11:33:20 AM »
All except the V2 are DCC-ready.
Richard
Does that mean?..... no, surely you arent going DCC.... :D

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal